• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KochiKame's Osamu Akimoto Launches Black Tiger Post-Civil War Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spark67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
well, i´m really happy with this news, i´m a great fan of Kochikame anime. it gonna be awesome.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:43 pm Reply with quote
A sexy gunslinger in a post-Civil War manga? Say no more I am sold! Very Happy
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Strange. This doesn't look anything like the Capcom arcade game. Confused Razz
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:17 pm Reply with quote
This could be really good, or really bad... As a Civil War/Reconstruction Era historian, I'm intrigued. But having a non-American writing a historical series during one of the darkest times in US history... a lot could go horribly wrong. But I'm willing to give it a chance!
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
This could be really good, or really bad... As a Civil War/Reconstruction Era historian, I'm intrigued. But having a non-American writing a historical series during one of the darkest times in US history... a lot could go horribly wrong. But I'm willing to give it a chance!

The Northern government hires bounty hunters to take out Confederate soldiers and outlaws. And the main character is a sexy woman bounty hunter in the late 1800s. IMO if you expecting ANY kind of "realistic portrayal" of post-Civil War America then you are clearly setting yourself up for disappointment. Might as well instead go read something like Gamblefish where you can read about President "Omaha" (whose catch phrase is "yes I can" and looks exactly as you'd expect) gets involved in a high stakes gambling tournament which involves spoiler[sexual] "climax" fish and TWO people shooting themselves in the head and NEITHER of them dying, for a better portrayal of "real" Americans.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
He claims there are no men in the current era writing shoujo? Well, maybe not notable with the 100s of manga-ka in Japan. That said, many one-shot stories released each year, some of them are shoujo manga written by guys.

Kon'Doriano, that thumbnail got you sold as well? Cyclone1993, it's anyone's guess how much research he did for the Civil War/Reconstruction Era. However, your concern also applies in cases like an American writing a historical movie set in feudal Japan.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
He claims there are no men in the current era writing shoujo? Well, maybe not notable with the 100s of manga-ka in Japan. That said, many one-shot stories released each year, some of them are shoujo manga written by guys.

Kon'Doriano, that thumbnail got you sold as well? Cyclone1993, it's anyone's guess how much research he did for the Civil War/Reconstruction Era. However, your concern also applies in cases like an American writing a historical movie set in feudal Japan.

Yeah completely. Almost all of the American depictions of feudal Japan are just wrong as well. Unless they are extensively researched.

Heerotx; I don't expect historical accuracy in the slightest. There are just a lot of sensative issues from this period which still set people on edge. I hope it doesn't take a turn for the racist because it could very easily. But of course I'm up for being surprised!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely intrigued because I love a gunslinger story.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Now that Black Tiger manga sounds interesting so I hope that it does well enough so that one day there will be an English release. Cool
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993, with what you said, if this upcoming post-Civil War manga has depictions of specific Americans at that time during specific events, I would opt for accuracy, unless it is meant to be historically-inaccurate/comedy like Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. If it is something generic, like a Holocaust story, I might see some more room for inaccuracies.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
^Manga is a medium that regularly re-imagines Japan's historical figures as busty young women (Oda Nobunaga, for example). So I wouldn't expect accuracy even if real people are name checked.

There are a whole lot of manga about girls written by men for seinen magazines. If he really wanted to do shojo, he should have challenged himself by presenting a story to Margaret, Cookie, or even Ribon magazines--real shoujo is intended for girls, first and foremost, not just written about girls.

The manga that intrigues me as much as it concerns me is Mr. Clice..."man's brain in gorgeous young women's body" can be campy fun or outright offensive. Or perhaps Akimoto will go for super serious spy thriller? (Nah, doubt it).
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Interesting...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1