• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manpaku Jinja Teases Touhou-Based 'Memories of Phantasm' Episode 8 in Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
This really takes its place alongside The Sealed Esoteric History, Osana Reimu, and M-1 Grand Prix as one of the best animated Touhou adaptations, and is probably the most accessible for newer fans. Heck, if it wasn't for Memories of Phantasm, I probably wouldn't have nine Touhou games sitting on my shelf right now.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
I still kinda dislike the fact that some of those doujin anime inserted the male characters that barely made the scratch of actual importance, and ZUN apparently preferred to have the Touhou world that he'd created to be cleared of those male ones, since he had asserted that they had never been the main focus and it would threw off the world's balance, though citation is needed because I don't remembered where I read that (and does ZUN actually created the male characters?). Then again, I do have extreme bias against works that is overpopulated with females to suddenly received an arrival of the other gender because of my preference.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
since he had asserted that they had never been the main focus and it would threw off the world's balance, though citation is needed because I don't remembered where I read that

It's from an interview in The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers by S.M.G Szczepaniak.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:29 am Reply with quote
Yes! Another episode.
Hazarddex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
This really takes its place alongside The Sealed Esoteric History, Osana Reimu, and M-1 Grand Prix as one of the best animated Touhou adaptations, and is probably the most accessible for newer fans. Heck, if it wasn't for Memories of Phantasm, I probably wouldn't have nine Touhou games sitting on my shelf right now.

idk iv always taken issue to Memories of phantasm. It takes A LOT of liberties with the video game stories, adds in stuff while cutting out a lot of the important details.

for examble
According to Perfect Memento in Strict Sense, and Bohemian Archive in Japanese Red both are official books zun wrote to give extra detail to characters Reimu resolved the Scarlet Mist Incident on her own meaning marisa did not visit the mansion till after the incident was over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1