• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Politeness

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoddessOtome

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
I would appreciate it if the moderators were more polite in addressing people who are first time users on this site. It makes me not want to contribute to the community or the forum in general when I am being scolded or ripped to shreds by a moderator.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
Is this the post that has prompted this thread?

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3053839

If so, I think the moderator's response was very polite. Characterizing this as being "ripped to shreds" is a pretty massive exaggeration, if this is the incident you are referring to. Having said all that, though, welcome to ANN. We always like to see new people come around and I hope you get over this initial bump, familiarize yourself with the rules and hang out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Could you tell me what moderator and post is at issue?

If it's the post above that Blood- linked to, I'd have to agree with his assessment.

-t
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Well considering I got a random PM from Goddess that simply said "Wow do you need to be so nasty when addressing people?" and nothing more I am going to assume they are talking about me. I have to say I am at a loss to how I was rude or "ripped you to shreds" in any fashion in the thread Blood linked to. I am also confused as you say you are new to ANN but your profile says you've been registered since 2011. Have you simply lurked here up until now and never used the forums? Regardless I will gladly explain my post Blood linked to in case that is what you are referring to.

It is expected here at ANN for the opening poster creating a thread, or the OP as we use for slang, to answer their own questions or provide opinions on whatever topic they are bringing up. Not just ask a question of others or make a list and that's it. Even us mods are expected to do that if we create threads. You actually posted the KH anime thread it in the wrong section initially (Series Discussion instead of General Anime) and you didn't provide your own thoughts on it either. Typically in that situation the mod would simply say that there was not enough discussion to keep the thread open and simply lock it. I thought I was generous by moving it for you to the right section and leaving it open for now. Since KH is popular and we don't really have a thread for it I though perhaps others might come in and provide their own thoughts. I did ask you to provide your own thoughts but again that is expected here of everyone. I did say thank you as well.

Now if you are referring to this thread of yours that I locked I did so because there didn't seem to be a real point to it. It was in the Anime Series area but was not for a specific title and your post itself was very confusing. Which is why I locked it because as I said I didn't see any point to it beyond being a random thought/opinion.

Just as an FYI beyond posting your own thoughts to threads you create or post in we do also expect actual discussion and thoughts. You've made a few posts that were not much more then simply list posts. Those are also frowned upon here as well. In case you were unaware you might want to check out The Rules here. If you have any further questions or want clarification on some other post I have made feel free to ask.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
I didn't see the locked thread. While I still don't agree that locking that thread constitutes "ripping to shreds," I still find that an overly aggressive mod act. What I've seen other mods do in similar situations is to point out in what ways the thread is counter to ANN rules then invite the OP to amend it so that it is in conformity. If the OP doesn't respond within a certain time frame, obviously locking at that point would be appropriate.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
What I've seen other mods do in similar situations is to point out in what ways the thread is counter to ANN rules then invite the OP to amend it so that it is in conformity. If the OP doesn't respond within a certain time frame, obviously locking at that point would be appropriate.

You might have seen mods do that Blood and sometimes we do handle it as you mentioned. Sometimes we don't. Generally we give them a chance if we feel there is something of value to be had in that thread. If there's something there that could possibly foster discussion of some sort. In that situation the post seemed to be not much more than a jumbled mess of off topic random thoughts with no clear point, goal, or real topic to be discussed. I have seen plenty of threads before and after becoming a mod get locked for the same amount of off topic thoughts.

Plus the one I locked was not the first post/thread that such a post was made in either. Several of Goddess's posts or newly created threads have been questionable in terms of quality of discussion or lack there of. I left the one KH thread open because I felt there was a clear topic to discuss. That locked one did not have that. It was also again in the wrong section which further compounds the idea that it was just a random post of thoughts with no clear purpose or goal to foster discussion. There's only so many of those types of threads/posts we'll give a chance instead of simply locking them. I am confused though as to how simply pointing that out and then locking it constitutes as being overly aggressive.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I explained why I found it over aggressive. There were other options open rather than automatically locking it. Although GoddessOtome registered years ago, she clearly has not been an active poster until recently. Having one thread locked, another moved, etc can be disconcerting to somebody not familiar with the ANN rules. Fortunately, it seems she is learning. She started quite a good thread about the Ultimate Magic Girl in the General Anime Discussion section that was well thought out and had illustrations. I think you sometimes forget the impact of being subject to mod intervention can have, especially on newbies. The idea isn't to chase people off. It's to guide them so that they are in conformity with the rules and culture here. A light touch can be more productive than an automatic lock. Having said all that, I still think Goddess Otome has exaggerated, by quite a margin, the supposed lack of politeness that was displayed. Like I say, I think she's on the right track, now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1