• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Jumps 41% in Box Office From Last Weekend

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
"213.3 billion yen" is definitely not correct. The source says 213.3 oku (100 million) = 21.3 billion
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
$1.8 billion USD? I don't think that's correct, otherwise that would mean it would be the 4th highest-grossing movie worldwide, when it's not even close.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Anyway, really wonder how much more this movie has left in the tank. Will it go on and be in theaters for an entire year like Girls und Panzer was? It's really quite amazing just how leggy the Japanese market is for movies in general (it's by far the leggiest market) compared to others which are much more frontloaded (one of the most frontloaded markets being China).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why people always comment about the earnings of this movie? Looks stupid to me. Please stop.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
I wonder why people always comment about the earnings of this movie? Looks stupid to me. Please stop.

They're highlighting a glaring error in the article, which at this time still hasn't been corrected.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Apologies for the error everyone, and thanks so much for pointing it out. We've corrected the article.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Anyway, really wonder how much more this movie has left in the tank. Will it go on and be in theaters for an entire year like Girls und Panzer was?

Great pun Very Happy
shellsaviour88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Current Your Name gross is 21.93 billion Yen (as of Jan-1st). As of now it's estimated at near 22.5 billion. The gigantic jump is due to new year's holiday week.

And yes, if the film keep this pace, Frozen and Titanic is in danger. Normal screening is already amazingly consisten, let alone Imax boost.[/list]
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Where's that guy that's always commenting "mega Shinkai domination" on these boards?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1