• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Smell-Creating Virtual Reality Device Under Development

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Will soon be known as the Vagso.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Something like this exists but all of the scents are related to sex.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Somehow the idea of nerds being able to smell their waifus is so, so much creepier than being able to touch them in VR.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
dear god what have we done?
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
Yet another project no one will remember after a couple of months.

It's interesting, ok, but no one's gona use this beyond those 4D cinemas in Japan, I mean, I don't see many game devs or cinema directors adding a whole team simply to add smells that won't even be significant, since, well, people don't want to know how a walking corpse smells, or charred human meat, or some back alley, or whatever. There are far too few games where this would be useful, meaning, it won't be economically feaseable for a consumer product.

But well, as they say, never say never (as contradictory as it is, lol), who knows, maybe it ends up sticking?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
As fun as VR-smelling seems, I think I would end up passing out after taking too many hits from offensive scents such as those from a corpse... Anime dazed
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Girls smell like soap and shampoo and perfume and hairspray.

Just put air air freshener on your VR gear dangling in front of your nose.

There... I just saved you a couple hundred bucks.

Though now that I think about this some more a cooking game could be awesome...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Somehow the idea of nerds being able to smell their waifus is so, so much creepier than being able to touch them in VR.

Well, Japan did also have those used schoolgirl panties vending machines that became infamous many years ago.

chronos02 wrote:
Yet another project no one will remember after a couple of months.

It's interesting, ok, but no one's gona use this beyond those 4D cinemas in Japan, I mean, I don't see many game devs or cinema directors adding a whole team simply to add smells that won't even be significant, since, well, people don't want to know how a walking corpse smells, or charred human meat, or some back alley, or whatever. There are far too few games where this would be useful, meaning, it won't be economically feaseable for a consumer product.

But well, as they say, never say never (as contradictory as it is, lol), who knows, maybe it ends up sticking?

There's also why Smell-O-Vision flopped: Smells linger in the air. You can't really control how well smells go away, and if the circumstances in the VR game or whatever requires the smell to suddenly be replaced with another one, it simply can't be done. Smell-O-Vision movies became nauseating when the entire theater room, by the end of the movie, was smelling like cheeseburgers, strawberries, and gasoline combined. (Simulating smelling gasoline is a safety issue by itself too, as it means people can't detect a REAL gas leak.)

Making it portable would only make it worse, if you ask me, as it now means the room where you live now as these incompatible combinations of smells.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
dear god what have we done?

With the creative human mind comes instances of a detachment from common sense. At least the smells for this device (so far) are not sexually or body-fetish related.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With the creative human mind comes instances of a detachment from common sense. At least the smells for this device (so far) are not sexually or body-fetish related.

Sometimes though, you have to be at least a bit detached from common sense to come up with something innovative. Detachment from common sense leads to out-of-the-box thinking, after all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1