• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Next Generation Manga Ends Current Season

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Crying inside
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even know it was off of hiatus. Now I'm being told a handful of chapters exist, and a new part of the story is starting.

I guess I'm happy? I gotta go find these chapters now...
Sergorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I know Saint Seiya isn't much a thing in the US but... Next GENERATION ? Come on.

The manga is certainly not in its "final arc", they just annouced it was heading up to a Climax (and it did)

And it's not about "the villain Hades as he reminisces about his past life in the 18th century", it's the canonical continuation of the original manga, following the new adventures of the original Bronze Saints as they travel back in time to save Seiya.

They're also annoucing for the record that the next season will be during the summer.

-Sergorn
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
I know Saint Seiya isn't much a thing in the US but... Next GENERATION ? Come on.

The manga is certainly not in its "final arc", they just annouced it was heading up to a Climax (and it did)

And it's not about "the villain Hades as he reminisces about his past life in the 18th century", it's the canonical continuation of the original manga, following the new adventures of the original Bronze Saints as they travel back in time to save Seiya.

They're also annoucing for the record that the next season will be during the summer.

-Sergorn

Thanks for correcting the error in the headline, and we confirmed the manga is resuming in the summer, so the article has been updated. I also removed the plot summary for now while we check on it.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, the prologue chapter of ND had Hades flashback to the 18th Century during the final fight of the original manga, but when it went back to the future, it was after the end of the manga.

So, just ever so briefly a flashback before it became its own thing.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
God, I just want Kurumada to finish this before he dies or something. Even tough this is the true canon, The Lost Canvas will always be my true canon, it was just so good.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Well, the prologue chapter of ND had Hades flashback to the 18th Century during the final fight of the original manga, but when it went back to the future, it was after the end of the manga.

True, but it's kind of an outdated summary now. ^^'

I suspect there was a change of plan between volume 1 & 2, possibly because of The Lost Canvas.

-Sergorn
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
Mewzard wrote:

True, but it's kind of an outdated summary now. ^^'

I suspect there was a change of plan between volume 1 & 2, possibly because of The Lost Canvas.

-Sergorn

That is correct, I remember correctly, the original plan was to make Hyperdimention and Lost Canvas a "Dual" plot like Tsubasa Reservoir and xxxHolic, with LC narrating the plot from Tenma's point of view and HD from Douko's.

However, since HD had constant hiatus and LC had decent popularity, they decided to transform LC in a spinoff and it's own line of time granting it "Freedom"..

Then Kurumada did what he usually does: Whatever the hell he wants, so he scrapped the "Tenkai hen Joso" movie out of the continuity and made HD the real continuation of the original Manga.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:

That is correct, I remember correctly, the original plan was to make Hyperdimention and Lost Canvas a "Dual" plot like Tsubasa Reservoir and xxxHolic, with LC narrating the plot from Tenma's point of view and HD from Douko's.

Not really. I mean there was hints of this in the annoucement Akita made for The Lost Canvas, but TLC and ND were never consistent to begin with (ie Doko was portrayed as a stranger to Tenma ND pretty much at the same time TLC introduced him as his mentor) so it's clear the never aimed at the same continuity.

TLC however was originally conceived as a short lived spin-off, but became a long manga due its unexpected success. But Kurumada's views of spin off has always been to let the other authors do whatever the hell they want anyway.

Quote:

Then Kurumada did what he usually does: Whatever the hell he wants, so he scrapped the "Tenkai hen Joso" movie out of the continuity and made HD the real continuation of the original Manga.

Well the movie was pretty much scrapped out of continuity the minute it was released when Kurumada saw that after cutting him off the production, TOEI didn't respect at all what he asked for the film.

Though to be fair technically speaking, according the StS Omega booklet the Tenkai Hen movie IS considered part of the anime canon of Saint Seiya (which is separate of the manga canon which is basically just the original manga and Next Dimension).

-Sergorn
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1