• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha USA Lists Digital Releases for Chihayafuru, Tokyo Tarareba Girls, A Springtime With N

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogrin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Hooray Chihayafuru!! I would have preferred a physical media release but I will still buy the digital release to support the series. This is great news.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
CHIHAYAFURU!!!
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Tarareba Girls! Kodansha will print these if they do well digitally, right? Yay!
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised to see Hana to Shinobi... I have all the volumes and the art is really cute. It's another title translation fail though, because it actually translates to Flower and Shinobi. Seriously, how does Kodansha Comics come up with these horrible titles? Do they even try to translate it properly?
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh, yay, all titles I've been interested in~! Too bad they're digital.
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
moogrin wrote:
Hooray Chihayafuru!! I would have preferred a physical media release but I will still buy the digital release to support the series. This is great news.

I fully agree. I've been waiting for Kodansha to bring over the Chihayafuru manga for some time now. I also wish they will put it out in print format. There's always a chance for it to happen eventually, and I will continue to hold out hope. I'm sure there will be enough support for them to make it an easy decision.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
I'm surprised to see Hana to Shinobi... I have all the volumes and the art is really cute. It's another title translation fail though, because it actually translates to Flower and Shinobi. Seriously, how does Kodansha Comics come up with these horrible titles? Do they even try to translate it properly?

There are multiple possibilities for what could have happened:

1. The mangaka decided she wanted it to be "Springtime" in English for whatever reason.
2. The title is actually a pun.
3. Kodansha USA worked with the mangaka and they jointly decided to name it "Springtime" in English for whatever reason.
4. Kodansha (Japan) one-sidedly decided to name it "Springtime."
5. Kodansha USA one-sidedly decided to name it "Springtime."

This is a business venture. It is extremely unlikely that one person or a small group of people decided on this name without verifying the literal translation. The ultimate reason they chose this name may be flawed, but I highly doubt they "didn't translate it properly" and somehow it just made it to print like this.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Just because they aren't literally translating the title doesn't make it a "fail." The purpose of a title is to catch the audience's interest, but what varies from culture to culture. Most Americans, even in anime fandom, have no idea what "shinobi" means, so it makes sense to switch to the more common "ninja," and once you do that, why not make the title more dynamic overall.

This isn't just an American thing, either. Go through IMDb and look at the alternate titles for popular American films -- pretty much every country adjusts titles to make them more marketable.
Naniwa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
Holy shit Chihayafuru!!! I have been waiting for this day for so long, I'm so happy wow.

I too hope they will make a physical release at some point!
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
They probably didn't want casuals confusing it with Shuriken and Pleats.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'll support a digital release if that's the only feasible way to get it. CHIHAYAFURU!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Getting to read Chihayafuru after waiting for its manga for so long just made my day!! If it gets a print release I will snatch that baby up IN A FRIGGIN' HEARTBEAT! I absolutely love this series.

I've only read/seen a bit of Princess Jellyfish but I liked it enough so far so I'll have to check out Tokyo Tarareba Girls too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It is a weird title choice, though. When I read "A Springtime with Ninjas" the first thing that comes to my head is the song "Springtime for Hitler" from The Producers. Razz They could have gone with "Flowers and Ninjas." A quick Google search shows me the only published product with a similar name is a middle grade book called "Deadlt Flowers: A Ninja's Tale."
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to buy two of these titles forever, but I just don't read my manga digitally, and I will not buy digital-only manga. Thanks for nothing Kodansha.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Hooray for Chihayafuru. Sad it's only digital but I would of had to find extra space for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2