• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Award-Winning Manga Creator Jiro Taniguchi Passes Away at 69

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XSp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Oh no man... one of my favorite unique style manga authors.... :/
May he have comtemplative walks exploring the wonders of wherever he went...
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
What a phenomenal manga artist! Jiro's detailed and realistic ink drawings were absolutely masterful and to hear this sad news is heartbreaking!

My two favorites of his work are Summit of the Gods and A Zoo in Winter both are published in English under Fanfare. Rest in peace, sensei.
Olaole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
He truly was one of the best mangaka in modern Japan, gone way too soon...
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
What a terrible loss! I've just discovered Taniguchi last year with A Distant Neighborhood. That work resonated with me in more than one way. I fell in love instantly and was moved to tears multiple times, and I decided to read the entirety (translated) works.

He was truly a master of the mundane. His stories were equally nostalgic and relatable, his portrayal of different periods (especially the 60s) always intruguing. Even though he hasn't produced many works in the last couple of years I didn't expected him to pass way so soon.

I encourage anyone who is interested in mature and mundane drama stories to check out his works; they are truly exceptional and unique.

May he rest in peace. He will not be forgotten.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
RIP

I truly enjoyed his amazing manga series! Especially A Distant Neighborhood, what a shame! His art style was great and his stories were very good.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
RIP.
The first thing I read of his was "The Walking Man", and since then I've liked everything of his which I've read, and only wish more of it was available in English!
The most was "Guardians of the Louvre" which - while essentially promotion for the Louvre, was still a really good read and taught me a few things I'd not been aware of.

Really liked his style which stood out from most other manga.
ZenAmako

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Taniguchi was an exceptionally talented artist. My first exposure to his work was Viz's English language version of Hotel Harbour View in the '80s. He will be missed.
bsus1412

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I've read all of his translated works, and can honestly say that Taniguchi Jiro is my favorite manga-ka. Every one of his stories imbibe a sense of realism that I have rarely felt in any other author's manga. I hope that his work will continue to inspire new artists as they create new works that match the subtle touches that this author gave us.
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunate for this to happen. I hope his family and friends can get through this. Thank you for having an impact on our child/adulthood.

RIP
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
shading without ink

How does that work? oO
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I loved the way he drew dogs and cats in Inu wo Kau. Rest in peace.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
shading without ink

How does that work? oO

I think they refering to screentones (correct me if I'm wrong) but, the wording is odd. Since most manga is drawn in black/white, artists will use ink for crosshatching, screentones, washes, opaque paint, or digital software to depict shading and sources of light.

Jiro's style had a more restaint/practical use of screentones since most of his work are grounded in reality while his clean linework on foliage, clothing and simplifed faces benefitted from this method. He and Naoki Urasawa are great comparisons in this approach but, their storytelling is still different enough to not confuse them with each other IMO
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I looked up some screenshots of his work to see if I could figure out what that meant, and it looked to me like he was shading with ink. Smile But yes, his lines are very clean, and I agree with your comparison to Urasawa. Really nice work. It's a shame to lose him.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
One of the all time great mangaka. His work will never be forgotten.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Rest in peace, Mr. Taniguchi-san. Sad Your magnificent works shall not be forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2