• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Diabolik Lovers II Dub Cast, Streams Clip

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
This anime series is the prime example of an unhealthy relationship.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Josh Grelle? Even he's doing Sentai dubs now?
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm still baffled that Sentai will dub both seasons of this trash, but leave Haikyuu!!! sub-only. I get that's harems have a better chance of selling than sports anime, but come on.

The only thing good about this series is the fact that the dub VAs tried their best to ham up their lines. Chris Patton made watching this so much more bearable. Other than that, it's a garbage reverse harem.

With that said, because I love pain so much, I will be watching the dub of S2. Just to see how Adam Gibbs, Andrew Love, and Greg Ayres fair.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

It could always be worse! We could, after all, be considering Super Lovers 2 instead...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:18 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I'm still baffled that Sentai will dub both seasons of this trash, but leave Haikyuu!!! sub-only. I get that's harems have a better chance of selling than sports anime, but come on..
From what I've heard, sports Amine in America don't have a slightly worse chance than harems, or any genre, but are huge risks.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
I'm still baffled that Sentai will dub both seasons of this trash, but leave Haikyuu!!! sub-only. I get that's harems have a better chance of selling than sports anime, but come on.

The only thing good about this series is the fact that the dub VAs tried their best to ham up their lines. Chris Patton made watching this so much more bearable. Other than that, it's a garbage reverse harem.

With that said, because I love pain so much, I will be watching the dub of S2. Just to see how Adam Gibbs, AndrewAndrew Love, and Greg Ayres fair.

Ditto. This season was so hard to watch, I cringed every second. The first season was tolerable but the second one made me so confused.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

He started at ADV.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Isn't that kind of the point? That everything going on in the series is dark, twisted, and typically rather tragic?
I'd also venture to say; a lot of anime are full on healthy relationships. The difference here is, it's aimed at female audiences that are into dark and twisted stuff. It's that sinful indulgence. In other series, the relationship is played more straight, and tends to have gross implications. (One that comes to mind is Kotora-san.)

And I don't understand why people so opposed to a series go into articles related to it. Just to bash stuff. I'd understand some criticism, but sometimes comments leave me confused.

If anyone that has played the game and watched the show pops in though, I'd love know if it's worth watching the anime, or if I should just stick to the game.
Random Name

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Isn't that kind of the point? That everything going on in the series is dark, twisted, and typically rather tragic?
I'd also venture to say; a lot of anime are full on healthy relationships. The difference here is, it's aimed at female audiences that are into dark and twisted stuff. It's that sinful indulgence. In other series, the relationship is played more straight, and tends to have gross implications. (One that comes to mind is Kotora-san.)

And I don't understand why people so opposed to a series go into articles related to it. Just to bash stuff. I'd understand some criticism, but sometimes comments leave me confused.

If anyone that has played the game and watched the show pops in though, I'd love know if it's worth watching the anime, or if I should just stick to the game.

Isn't his/her comment the definition of "some criticism" so why are you confused? It's not over the top I'm sure she could of said a lot worse, it states a fact that you even admit to in your post, and it's only one line. It just sounds like you don't want any criticism. Also if only people that liked this show were posting my guess is that little box on the top left of the article would say 0 comments...oh wait I guess it would be a 1.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well for a weird anime the 1st season dub was actually good. Sentai hired some very talented voice actors I wasn't even cringing it was unexpectedly good unlike the YOI funimation dub or Dramatical murder Laughing it's so fun to hear the voice actors get into their role like the whispering parts. Best part during season 1 is when Chris Patton was voicing Ayato killing Cordelia, it was a huge turn on. Despite of the bad reviews, the drama CD franchise of Diabolik Lovers is selling hotcakes in Japan, it is really popular there and it's the most popular franchise of Rejet inc.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

He lived in the Houston area for a while then moved to the Dallas area as Funi has the highest dubbing output right now.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:

Isn't his/her comment the definition of "some criticism" so why are you confused? It's not over the top I'm sure she could of said a lot worse, it states a fact that you even admit to in your post, and it's only one line. It just sounds like you don't want any criticism. Also if only people that liked this show were posting my guess is that little box on the top left of the article would say 0 comments...oh wait I guess it would be a 1.

Oh, lol. I didn't actually mean them when I said the bashing. I tried to make it a new paragraph for the separation, but maybe I should have addressed that above the quote?

Someone called it trash, which everyone can have their opinion, but that's not really a criticism; it's just bashing. But I tried to keep a fair response to Animechic420 because on principle I agree it's unhealthy, but better understanding the audience and material (well, the game), it just seems like there are other things I would point at first for the criticism. (Things that don't market themselves as dark and with "taboo" material, and even treat themselves casually or naturally.)
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Well for a weird anime the 1st season dub was actually good. Sentai hired some very talented voice actors I wasn't even cringing it was unexpectedly good unlike the YOI funimation dub or Dramatical murder Laughing it's so fun to hear the voice actors get into their role like the whispering parts. Best part during season 1 is when Chris Patton was voicing Ayato killing Cordelia, it was a huge turn on. Despite of the bad reviews, the drama CD franchise of Diabolik Lovers is selling hotcakes in Japan, it is really popular there and it's the most popular franchise of Rejet inc.

It has definitely remained popular. I think I can kind of see why, looking into the game. And they certainly promote it well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1