• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AT-X President: AI May Replace Humans in Anime Production

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
{Edit}: Please post something more than simply an emoticon. We try to be more relaxed regarding the one liner rule with interest pieces but we do require some actual words with a post. Thank you. ~ Psycho 101
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
You mean it isn't already?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In the future, similar technology might be used to analyze Hideaki Anno's Neon Genesis Evangelion, Shin Godzilla, and other works, for example. AI could then create a perfect "Anno-style" imitation of his art. Iwata believes that AI may come to compete with humans in the realm of creativity.

Once there's no one's work left because no-one's there doing that work anymore, what will they analyze, themselves?
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

No, Japan is much lower tech than people realize. There is still someone with a pencil checking off stock character traits and bubbling in hair colors on a paper list.
anddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
How very cute.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
So it will be something like this: IF "rating" < 0.5 THEN do addfanservice.exe -o "Next episode".
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

No, Japan is much lower tech than people realize. There is still someone with a pencil checking off stock character traits and bubbling in hair colors on a paper list.

But it all seems so robotic.
chronos02

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I sincerely doubt this will replace the actual art lead in any animation production, it may replace inbetweeners though, or, in some cases, keyframe artists.
However, I personally believe the potential this technology has isn't to substitute artists, but resurrect dead ones, or support current ones. A time may come when AIs (real ones, not these fakes) will be able to determine what's fun, beautiful, or gruesome and create art based on demand or their own feelings, but that is too far off in the future to even consider, what we will see is an artist which will use this sort of software to help him/her finish his/her own works with his/her art-style, instead of spending large amounts of time to paint backgrounds, city landscapes and whatnot.
In other words, the artist will be the director, with the machine being its hands.

Art is not a mechanical work, the execution is.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This makes sense for filler animation where characters are simply walking and talking and the scene can avoid sudden drops in animation consistency.

an AI will still not be able to replace a creative director that wants a significantly dynamic action scene, but AI induced animation will easily take over on larger budgeted projects for movie quality works.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I could see it being used to do some things, like inbetween animation, that is already outsourced, but I have a hard time seeing an AI handling much that requires creativity. That AI Rembrandt program might have been able to replicate the style, but that is all it was doing. I mean, if people complain about things like otaku pandering now, just imagine anime made by something that produced anime based on algorithms and data. I have a hard time believing that an AI could look at something like Evangelion, and come out of it understanding how it was a product of Anno's life experiences at the time.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. However, like what some of you guys said, it would work best for inbetween animation.

It shouldn't replace everyone, otherwise lots of workers, especially animators, are gonna get laid off.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
No thanks, humans please, just improve the working conditions and you won't need AI.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm uh suh-scared of A.I being better humans (a.i) then us.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Rather than replacing humans, having both would be better. But of course, humans cost more money than machines.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Well maybe AI will do a better job in making an anime that dosnt fall apart half way threw the season or have a forced ending
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3