• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Horizon: Zero Dawn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
As far as the Switch goes, I'm interested in seeing how Mamma Mia's new adventure will pan out.

Nier Automata: This game is definitely going to be earning some attention. When you have a skit like this, you know it's a winner: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZPc7ummeXw
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Horizon: Zero Dawn looked really good from the bits I saw. The story looked pretty bland and generic,but it has strong gameplay which is most important. The amount of ways you could approach a fight,mixed with the cool enemy designs,looks really solid. On top of the world looking absolutely gorgeous.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Horizon seems like your typical generic open world western AAA game. Not sure why its being talked about on an anime site though. The main girl looks ugly, and being voiced by Ashley Burch doesn't help her either.

I got a Switch early thanks to my friend, and BOTW is really reminiscent of the first Zelda game and is pretty fun. Best Zelda game since Wind Waker, easily.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is shaping up to be an exciting title with its open-world adventure! Smile However, that "Expansion Pass" is bound to be a turn-off for some...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I failed to pre-order a Switch. I'm going to have to do the camping-out at Best Buy tonight after work and hope for the best. I'm going to be the weirdo who doesn't get Breath of the Wild though, out of a combination of Zelda having always been the square-peg-in-a-round-hole for me and someone I know who's already getting a physical copy.

If I had a PlayStation system at all, I'd try out Horizon--though to me, it initially looked like a Monster Hunter clone, because all the footage I'd see were of someone in stone-age clothing using stone-age weaponry against huge threats that could stomp them flat. It started looking more appealing for me when Toonami covered it and I saw that no, it is not some other company trying to ride on Monster Hunter's coattails.

That game history organization--will they have a museum? It sounds like the sort of organization that should have one, at least, maybe with a few playable old and forgotten but important games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Horizon seems like your typical generic open world western AAA game. Not sure why its being talked about on an anime site though.

Not sure why this tired rhetoric of "ANN is a site that talks about anime and manga" means that anything non-japan related can't be discussed even in a column that occasionally talks about western things.

Chester McCool wrote:
The main girl looks ugly,

I don't care for Horizon in anyway and even this seems like reaching to me.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played Atelier Sophie yet, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to play that before Firis. I've only played the 3 Dusk games, and they were all very pleasant, traditional turn-based JRPGs that did not rely on creepy otaku-pandering despite the focus on "moe girls."
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Horizon seems like your typical generic open world western AAA game. Not sure why its being talked about on an anime site though. The main girl looks ugly, and being voiced by Ashley Burch doesn't help her either.

First of all, Ashly Burch is a very good VA. Second, plenty of topics about non-Japanese items have been brought up here. I don't know why some users have to adopt this anti-West attitude, like mentioning anything about North America is somehow a violation of some unwritten "Japanese interests only" sacred law. This site isn't Asian-centric. I think you'd do best to remember that.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

First of all, Ashly Burch is a very good VA. Second, plenty of topics about non-Japanese items have been brought up here. I don't know why some users have to adopt this anti-West attitude, like mentioning anything about North America is somehow a violation of some unwritten "Japanese interests only" sacred law. This site isn't Asian-centric. I think you'd do best to remember that.

Lol try posting a JRPG coverage article at a mainstream gaming website like IGN and prepare to be bombarded with anti-Japanese comments. But those get a pass just because. Razz

May as well change the name of this site to Geeknewsnetwork (anime be damned!)
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Lol try posting a JRPG coverage article at a mainstream gaming website like IGN and prepare to be bombarded with anti-Japanese comments. But those get a pass just because. Razz

This isn't IGN; what they allow and don't allow is irrelevant. ANN is under no obligation to pass some arbitrary purity test. If you, Chester or anyone else doesn't like the relatively minuscule amount of non-anime-related coverage that the site embarks upon, I'm sure you can find some Holy Mecca of a website that doesn't allow any filthy mudbloods in to pollute its pure, unadulterated anime haven.

Oh, and that's a non-anime reference; and as such, I'm sure you couldn't have possibly have recognized it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Two wrongs don't make a right, or some such saying.

ANN's gaming column has never been wholly anime related, and it can be nice to read such articles. Maybe they will even do a Mass Effect Andromeda article.

Though I do wish they would cover more PC games, sounds like we will get one next week.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Horizon is pretty great. Its a good step forward for Guerrilla Games and they have franchise on their hands here. The gameplay is great, the story is effective, its also damn pretty. Highly recommended.

Not really interested in the Switch. Not a huge fan of the staple Nintendo games. Will be interesting to see how it does long term. Of course it did well at launch, but a few months from now will be interesting.

Unfortunately have to pass on Nier for now. Mass Effect soon and after that Persona 5.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

This isn't IGN; what they allow and don't allow is irrelevant. ANN is under no obligation to pass some arbitrary purity test. If you, Chester or anyone else doesn't like the relatively minuscule amount of non-anime-related coverage that the site embarks upon, I'm sure you can find some Holy Mecca of a website that doesn't allow any filthy mudbloods in to pollute its pure, unadulterated anime haven..

Well... if a site is called AnimeNewsNetwork I don't see how its unreasonable for people to expect anime-related things....Just saying. It just comes off as shallow is all. Like its clear its done for hits, everyone looking for reviews on the latest AAA game, and a site wants those clicks even if it has nothing to do with the subject matter. Kinda lowers the integrity of the site. If it was somehow tied to Japan then itd be one thing, but Japan doesnt care for these big games usually like most anime fans
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Well... if a site is called AnimeNewsNetwork I don't see how its unreasonable for people to expect anime-related things....Just saying. It just comes off as shallow is all. Like its clear its done for hits, everyone looking for reviews on the latest AAA game, and a site wants those clicks even if it has nothing to do with the subject matter. Kinda lowers the integrity of the site. If it was somehow tied to Japan then itd be one thing, but Japan doesnt care for these big games usually like most anime fans

Most anime fans? Maybe the hardcore ones like yourself, maybe, but I am certain a game as wide-released and as hyped as Horizon: Zero Dawn has plenty of players who happen to also watch Attack on Titan and One-Punch Man and such.

An anime fan is allowed to like non-Japanese stuff too.

I also really don't see what the problem is. They're covering this in addition to their coverage of Japanese media, which is what 99% of this site is already about.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

ANN's gaming column has never been wholly anime related, and it can be nice to read such articles. Maybe they will even do a Mass Effect Andromeda article.

Though I do wish they would cover more PC games, sounds like we will get one next week.

Yeah, the idea is to cover Western games we think our audience (anime fans) might also be curious about. Horizon is an interesting edge case - I agree it's a bit of a stretch for the column, but while I might personally deem something like Call of Duty or Battlefield to be too far outside of our purview, I've seen plenty of excitement around Horizon from anime fans (myself and Dustin included) and the obvious giant robot connection made it seem like a good pick for a week where we didn't have a review copy of Zelda to discuss.

Mass Effect is the same way - most of the fans I know (myself included) also play those games. It isn't everyone, and we'll get some complaints that we should stick to covering only anime, but I feel like we're appropriately selective about the Western games we cover and we try to stick to stuff that we know (or feel) our audience cares about. We'll always listen to the feedback in here.

As a side note, our increased game coverage has resulted in more games for review landing in our lap, mostly from publishers like Atlus, Koei Tecmo, Bandai Namco and Square-Enix. We're doing our best to cover all of them, including PC ports of PS4 JRPGs and stuff like that, Japanese games that I see get very little coverage elsewhere. We're still building our game coverage - I'm always open to suggestion if anyone in here has ideas for what they'd like to see us do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2