• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Godzilla Anime Film to Stream on Netflix Globally This Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:12 am Reply with quote
Everyone casted in this series is shite except Suwabe. I bet our Gojira will be CGI in this flick.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Everyone casted in this series is shite except Suwabe. I bet our Gojira will be CGI in this flick.
Everyone will be CGI.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

I actually had to look at the cast twice; "Oh, Sugita's in this so I guess I'll watch both sub and dub when it comes out" and again after reading this comment to make sure it was Tomokazu Sugita. On the other hand, I have no idea what this "shite" is so...

I was here to comment that this will probably be widely available in NA long before Shin Godzilla and it'll be dubbed sooner and it'll probably be more Godzilla than whatever that was.

It's a low bar, not as low as Godzilla 1998 but when a Godzilla film reminds me more of a Korean monster movie, something went wrong.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I was here to comment that this will probably be widely available in NA long before Shin Godzilla and it'll be dubbed sooner and it'll probably be more Godzilla than whatever that was.

It's a low bar, not as low as Godzilla 1998 but when a Godzilla film reminds me more of a Korean monster movie, something went wrong.

No idea what this person is on about.

Curious about this film... I haven't been a fan of Godzilla's previous animated outings, but hopefully the demographic for this is a little different.
Anpanmon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Everyone casted in this series is shite except Suwabe.

Your head is shite. All VA is great and fabulous, you know?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:43 am Reply with quote
Netflix has more countries but not as high of anime selection and established reputation for it
Crunchyroll has less countries but higher anime selection and a better reputation for it. So, yeah, I will have to go it being CR who should be streaming this.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Netflix has more countries but not as high of anime selection and established reputation for it
Crunchyroll has less countries but higher anime selection and a better reputation for it. So, yeah, I will have to go it being CR who should be streaming this.

Clearly, their main priority isn't reaching anime fans, they're trying to reach Godzilla fans, and for that, Netflix is the much better option. Greater distribution and exposure, and greater chance to reach a fan of the 2014 movie who might see this advertised and give it a chance.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:10 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Because an anime company getting a Godzilla property has turned out so well.

How'd those Shin theatrical runs Funi got go again? Extremely limited showings?
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
At this point, pretty sure that everything that Polygon Studio will make will fall in Netflix's hands.
Saku-dono wrote:

I mean its studio Polygon who's doing it
Ofc its going to be CGI since the entire thing will be CGI
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
Netflix - Taking over your living room one original series at a time.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Because an anime company getting a Godzilla property has turned out so well.

How'd those Shin theatrical runs Funi got go again? Extremely limited showings?

It got wider screenings than nearly any anime movie does nowadays. It got screenings in more theaters than your name will (over 440 vs over 200) let alone a typical anime film screening (33 like Kizumonogatari or Girls und Panzer der Film).
DBZ's Resurrection F opened wider (895 and screened in more after that) but it got a pretty wide screening compared to most anime films these days, so however it did in other metrics, it did not do poorly in screenings.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
Well that's certainly interesting. I thought anime was the one category Godzilla would never touch (cameo appearances in other shows don't count), but it seems like it's finally happening.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Relairknight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Well hell. Now I have to finally break down and get Netflix. Unless its going to be on blu ray too at some point.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Anpanmon wrote:

Your head is shite. All VA is great and fabulous, you know?

Thanks for your opinion. Laughing
But I simply don't care.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Sugita and Miyano are both excellent voice actors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2