• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Metroid Prime 4 Announced for Switch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Hands down my most anticipated title for the Switch!!! Very Happy
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
They also announced Metroid: The Return of Samus (remake of Metroid II) for the 3DS.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
They also announced Metroid: The Return of Samus (remake of Metroid II) for the 3DS.

I am more interested in that, though I'd prefer a new game set after Fusion than a remake.

-Stuart Smith
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Metroid Prime 4 will feature some very awesome (and, perhaps, scary) surprises. Cool
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo with the c-c-c-combo. Now maybe we can wash the bitter taste of Other M out of our mouths.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I was a bit suspicious when we were moving through the space dust. After all, Nintendo doesn't have a ton of sci-fi franchises. Then the screw attack symbol formed, the Prime theme struck up, and it was all over.

So hyped for this. If this and Samus Returns does well, we might eventually see Metroid Dread, or at least a proper 5th 2D game.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Nintendo with the c-c-c-combo. Now maybe we can wash the bitter taste of Other M out of our mouths.

What didn't you like? I prefer Other M to any of the Prime games, though I prefer the sidescrollers over Other M.

-Stuart Smith
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
What didn't you like? I prefer Other M to any of the Prime games, though I prefer the sidescrollers over Other M.

-Stuart Smith

I wasn't even willing to spend money on Other M after seeing plentiful examples of its utterly atrocious writing and willingness to throw Samus's character under a bus. I did play a bit of it once, and the gameplay felt clunky at best, as if it couldn't decide whether to be a traditional side-scroller or a fully-immersive 3D shooter, and instead split the difference with mediocre results. The Prime trilogy as a whole was masterful, with the first game in particular on my short list for the best games ever made, so I can't wait to see what else it has in store. Fingers crossed that Retro gets the call to make the next one.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

I wasn't even willing to spend money on Other M after seeing plentiful examples of its utterly atrocious writing and willingness to throw Samus's character under a bus. I did play a bit of it once, and the gameplay felt clunky at best, as if it couldn't decide whether to be a traditional side-scroller or a fully-immersive 3D shooter, and instead split the difference with mediocre results. The Prime trilogy as a whole was masterful, with the first game in particular on my short list for the best games ever made, so I can't wait to see what else it has in store. Fingers crossed that Retro gets the call to make the next one.
Retro isn't developing 4 but the director is the same.
Superfield

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

In addition to the above, there's also the awful attempt at exploration. Doors randomly lock for no good reason other than to railroad the player along a game that is already far too linear by Metroid standards.

More specifically on combat, the gameplay is style over substance. They thought that flashy finishers were a good fit for the Metroid universe and gameplay style; they are not. Samus is a mid-range fighter, always has been. Players unconsciously spend a lot of time trying to maintain a certain distance from enemies in Prime games; Samus has no melee-specific options and keeping enemies in view when close is difficult, making her vulnerable at close range, especially since enemies often do have melee attacks. If you get too far away, however, you will have a hard time hitting anything, since Samus's shots travel too slowly to be accurate and she doesn't have any type of zoom. Other M Samus is also most effective at mid-range, yet the game constantly encourages the player to get closer to enemies, either for finishers or Overblasts, a blatant design contradiction (not to mention that finishers can only be used on enemies that are basically dead already, begging for a reason for their existence beyond "Team Ninja made this game", and trying to do an Overblast with clunky D-Pad controls in 3D is an exercise in frustration). Oh yeah, and there's no reason to fight normal enemies, since there are no longer any health or ammo pickups (thereby destroying any of the challenge, since you can just Concentrate it back), meaning that the only way for the game to get you to fight enemies is by locking you in a room and forcing you to kill them all before you proceed. Which it does. CONSTANTLY.

Other M also didn't bring anything to the table. It just rehashed stuff from Super and Fusion endlessly, hoping that nostalgia would make up for their lack of creativity. Nightmare is a clear case of this: in Fusion, it had an incredible buildup and payoff, being one of that game's most memorable moments. In Other M, it's just thrown in there because if it was great in Fusion, surely it's great here... except that it was something new to Fusion, not something it blatantly stole, and it had none of the buildup that Fusion gave it, and the execution itself was really poor.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Superfield wrote:
In addition to the above, there's also the awful attempt at exploration. Doors randomly lock for no good reason other than to railroad the player along a game that is already far too linear by Metroid standards.
That glitch made me sad.

Quote:
More specifically on combat, the gameplay is style over substance. They thought that flashy finishers were a good fit for the Metroid universe and gameplay style; they are not.
The new clips for Samus Returns disagree. The close quarters' combat is used to full advantage there. Hit the foe with an uppercut in order to get the chance to attack them directly. It's all in the execution.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The game's fact sheet is incredibly promising. Just look at that - a game emphasizing isolation, exploration, and action, taking queues primarily from the first Prime (a master-class in game design) to do so. What little we know about this is looking very, very good.

ParaChomp wrote:
Superfield wrote:
That glitch made me sad.

It's not a glitch he's commenting on, it's intentional design - rather than you finding creating paths for yourself throughout the game, Other M regularly railroads you, deliberately limiting any sort of exploration beyond a specific, linear path, which is basically the antithesis of established Metroid gameplay.
Superfield

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
The new clips for Samus Returns disagree. The close quarters' combat is used to full advantage there. Hit the foe with an uppercut in order to get the chance to attack them directly. It's all in the execution.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Samus Returns' gameplay yet - it almost seems like a spiritual successor to Other M's gameplay in 2D (on a side note, Other M would've fared much better as a 2D game. Wouldn't have fixed the abhorrent writing, level design mentality or many other issues, but it would've been better). It might work out fine. My only point was that the flashy takedowns in Other M seemed to be there to make Samus look more "badass" and for the whole scenario to be more "epic", as if a 12-year old was directing it.

Krotchstak wrote:
It's not a glitch he's commenting on, it's intentional design - rather than you finding creating paths for yourself throughout the game, Other M regularly railroads you, deliberately limiting any sort of exploration beyond a specific, linear path, which is basically the antithesis of established Metroid gameplay.

That is indeed what I was referring to, but I believe the two are actually related. Since the doors in the game are constantly locking and unlocking for no good reason, they have to have a lot of flags dictating their current state. The Game-Breaking Glitch (as that particular piece of awfulness has come to be called) was likely the result of some redundant or scrapped event flags slipping through the cracks due to how many they were juggling. In other words, their obsession with railroading the player through a game in a series hailed for its exploration is what led to the Game-Breaking Glitch's existence. I have no concrete evidence, of course, but it makes complete sense. Shit begets shit, I guess.

Last edited by Superfield on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
Saw the opportunity to make a pun. I took it.

Stuart Smith, why you got to make all of us feel sad?
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I wasn't even willing to spend money on Other M after seeing plentiful examples of its utterly atrocious writing and willingness to throw Samus's character under a bus.

What character? Up until Fusion she had none in the games and only had a character in the manga, and Other M was basically based on Fusion.

Superfield wrote:
My only point was that the flashy takedowns in Other M seemed to be there to make Samus look more "badass" and for the whole scenario to be more "epic", as if a 12-year old was directing it.

A Nintendo game appealing to 12 year olds? Perish the thought. But seriously, I like the flashy combat in Other M and the preview for Samus Returns. Fits the series more than snoozefest FPS gameplay. And its not as if the Screw Attack or Shine Spark in previous games werent flashy or over the top.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2