• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Researchers Discover Safer Earth Re-Entry Thanks to Gundam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah but until they make an actual Gundam everything else will just seem meaningless. Sad
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome, I love seeing science-fiction become science-fact.

Now make an actual moving Mobile Suit and I will be ecstatic, get on it science!
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Just another example of wonderful imagination inspiring new methods to further progress human ingenuity at its finest. Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
That's super cool!
timfnj

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
...this is a case of an idea that wouldn't die. In the '60s NASA proposed this under the acronym MOOSE as a way for astronauts to survive reentry , then Traveler RPG had a illustration of scouts using it to drop on a planet then Z Gundam uses it( and SSTO heavy lifters)...
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Ummm... no.

The ballute was invented in the 1950s and was proposed as a means of reentry WAY before Zeta Gundam was created.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the original article, but I assume within context that Gundam kept the idea alive. Much like how the colonies in Gundam were proposed by someone else, if we ever build colonies like that partil credit may go to Gundam for popularizing the idea and keeping it at the front of sci-fi culture.

But do note, this article also says it took months of aerobraking before actually coming down. While I do that in kerbal all the time, its still not efficient enough to bring a human down...within a safe time limit.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Yeah but until they make an actual Gundam everything else will just seem meaningless. Sad

Well, full-sized RX-78s have been made for display/promotional purposes at sites in Japan. However, it is not really functioning to where a pilot commands it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Three months?! I feel like I'm missing something. They want astronauts to sit in a capsule in re-entry mode for three months? I don't think that's going to work.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I haven't read the original article, but I assume within context that Gundam kept the idea alive. Much like how the colonies in Gundam were proposed by someone else, if we ever build colonies like that partil credit may go to Gundam for popularizing the idea and keeping it at the front of sci-fi culture.

But do note, this article also says it took months of aerobraking before actually coming down. While I do that in kerbal all the time, its still not efficient enough to bring a human down...within a safe time limit.

Nah, they simply aerobraked without using any propellant. You could still use a ballute heat shield the normal way by using delta-v to get your periapsis into the atmosphere...
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
I haven't read the original article, but I assume within context that Gundam kept the idea alive.

Sorry, no. Ballutes have come up on a regular basis for decades, but until now they've always been a solution in search of a problem.

Quote:
Much like how the colonies in Gundam were proposed by someone else, if we ever build colonies like that partil credit may go to Gundam for popularizing the idea and keeping it at the front of sci-fi culture.

Sorry, no. Sci-fi culture is barely aware that anime even exists. Not that space fandom (the true keeper of the space colonization flame) needs any assistance from sci-fi or anime fandom in that regard.

Quote:

Yep, this is about as kerbal an idea as they come... But the braking time is a matter of implementation. Other designs can come down much faster.

(Never expected to find another KSP fan here of all places!)
slau783

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Well, this article and title twists the facts around. This article says "A new technology first utilized by Mobile Suits in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam could be the answer for safer travels for satellites re-entering Earth." When in fact the source article says, "A Japanese research team has devised a way for spacecraft to re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere more safely using technology featured in the popular robot anime series "Mobile Suit Z Gundam.”

The Asahi Shimbun title and their reference to Gundam is nothing more than click bait. Nowhere in the source article does it say any of the scientists got the idea or were inspired by Gundam. They did use Gundam to describe the device as that was probably the most recognizable way to do so. The Ballute, like mentioned by a previous poster, was invented back in 1958. It was even used by NASA as escape equipment for the Gemini spacecraft back in the 1960s. Nothing new here, just a new use for something old. Which is great.

People here in the comments are already going "Fake News!." While this is not fake news, the event described really happened. It is not presented in a fair and objective way. Don't rely on a single source, and don't add your own spin to it for clicks. Do a little research, it goes a long way. I like articles like this where fandom and the real world collide, just wish it was written better.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
I remember reading about the ballute in an old book when I was a kid (the 80's) and when I watched it in Zeta (decades later) I thought: "hey, like in that book! So Gundam writers did really search for info!"
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
slau783 wrote:
Don't rely on a single source, and don't add your own spin to it for clicks.

While I'd love to live in a world where enough people both know and care about the Zeta Gundam ballute system that it would actually generate a non-negligable amount of "clicks", you and I both know that's not the case. How many people could possibly know what the ballute system is without already knowing its real-world parallels, and how many of those people would actually click on this article? It's not worth paying someone to "spin" something to such a small demographic.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Goddamn wikia won't let me use their shitty pics.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2