• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Castlevania Animated Series Renewed For 8-Episode 2nd Season

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fruit Punch Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ayyyyyyy!!!!!! That's what's up!!! I personally enjoyed the first season, while it was short it was such a fresh breathe of air! And the sequel will have 8 episodes, that is bloody fantastic! Very Happy
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
I liked the show. Good animators like Spencer Wan did well.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
It was a great show to watch. I'm glad it's getting another season.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that it was renewed. I've enjoyed it, and it's great to see an American produced animated project that isn't a direct to video film or comedy series.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
..Second season? You can't even call four episodes a "first" season. It was barely the length of an old movie(I say "old" because so many modern movies are closer to two hours). Four episodes is barely enough time to judge whether or not a show is even worth watching.
Hazelll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
Question. Is any prior knowledge needed to watch this? Never played the games so idk if I could watch it
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
#862720 wrote:
Question. Is any prior knowledge needed to watch this? Never played the games so idk if I could watch it

I didn't either, and I never felt like it was inaccessible.

Great show and great news. Watched the whole thing in one sitting even though I only planned to watch half and I will gladly watch more.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
Great f**king show. Netflix did it again. A+.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
#862720 wrote:

You don't really need any knowledge from the games, the show explains everything very well.
hurafloyd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
#862720 wrote:

No need. But if you played Dracula's Curse, Lament of Innocence or Symphony of the Night beforehand, there are some easter eggs that would make you happy or you'll know some important details when you see them. That is like having a "half-spoiler" but you'll still be able to enjoy the series properly, no plot holes or anything to worry about.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
I'm happy that got some actors from the UK, rather than have Americans try and fail to do an accent.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
Great news. I have to say that this was probably the best video game adaptation I've ever seen. By a huge margin.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Hell, I wasn't going to waste my time on this, but seeing Matt Frewer's name on something, I might just drag my ass to watch an english dub.

That man hasn't caught a decent break since he played Trashcan Man in The Stand.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
The best action/dark fantasy animated show I've seen in years. I'm glad it didn't pretend to be anything more than a trashy entertainment with occasional anticlerical ramblings. Good luck with the second season.

Hopefully, Netflix will continue to build their library of animated programs. I hope they're going to invest money in the anime industry as well. It'll be nice to see an anime that won't be castrated by production committee and network television.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
The show wasn't bad, and the animation was decent for a western studio, nothing too great though, and it felt like they detailed unimportant things too much in too many places. Still, it's one of the best animation shows in the recent decade (not taking into account 3DCG shows here) in the west, so it's not surprising that they already planned for more since it was bound to be well received.

On the other hand, this can't be called a season, it's just an OVA series, or something very similar to it. A season should at least cover one cour, or what we call a season here, 3 months (Summer, Autumn, Winter or Spring), counting one episode per week (even if they're released simultaneously). The next set of OVAs won't cover a season either, so I don't see why Netlfix wants to call them "seasons", unless they consider their viewers to be too dumb to understand another naming convention.

I'll be looking forward to how much the two studios will improve their craft.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4