• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Streams Food Wars! English Dub Clip

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmpedForAnime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Man, they "Bro" and "Homes" the heck out of this dub. I might skip this one.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this sounds so bad. You'd think Sentai cared more about one of their biggest titles.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm not too impressed with the preview. Maybe it'll grow on you over time? Being hopeful here. Still dreading them announcing the inevitable license for Season 3 though Sad
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I had a feeling this would happen. I'm not usually a fan of Sentai's dubs and it takes a lot for me to like it and that's rare, Akame ga Kill is pretty much the only dub of there's I honestly was a big fan of.

This and Monmusu have been two big ball drops in my opinion.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Still dreading them announcing the inevitable license for Season 3 though Sad

So, in the remote possibility that Sentai does not pick up season 3, which other company would you like to license it? Keep in mind that a change in distributor could mean having dub casts that might not match.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
So, in the remote possibility that Sentai does not pick up season 3, which other company would you like to license it? Keep in mind that a change in distributor could mean having dub casts that might not match.

If we're talking about Dubs specifically, then definitely Funimation. I don't watch Dubs often but I haven't been happy with many of Sentai dubs, whereas I personally find the Funimation dubs much more palpable. Though Sentai has fantastic limited edition boxes compared to Funimation's.

Then of course there is also the streaming dilemma, where if Sentai gets season 3 (which they most certainly will) then it will probably go on Anime Strike. I really really extrememly hate the CC style subs used for Anime Strike and would most likely watch it on fansubs instead since Food wars tends to have a lot of on screen text.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
I don't watch Dubs often but I haven't been happy with many of Sentai dubs, whereas I personally find the Funimation dubs much more palpable.

If you don't often watch dubs, what is the point of complaining about them? Just to troll?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't sound as good as some of their other recent dubs, I will be fine as long the long awaited Ushio to Tora dub is great. And this looks like a comedy so dub performance is not as important(at least it is not as bad as the bimbo gami ga dub).
Animechic420

AmpedForAnime wrote:
Man, they "Bro" and "Homes" the heck out of this dub. I might skip this one.

A few non-Japanese slang words and you're gonna dismiss the whole thing???
An Average Aspie

Are we watching the same clip? This seems to be fine in context and delivery. Fast, cringe and corny given the party/get togethor atmosphere (props on the corn given the shows plot). Either way, with past clips having changes in the final dub. This could be no exception. And for any suggestion, I'd wonder if they had other line reads for that bit at 0:29? Because unless I can't recall the Japanese having a space like that during that frame, Or they had a rushed audio clip that would be delivered differently in the final product like Clint Bickham's reads in Chivalry having different takes.

Expecting a clip of Rachel Landon's performance as Mito. And Stephanie's Erina.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's the clip chosen, I found everyone good except Soma...which is like god damn important to nail. Such a shame after they got the best VA for Bell. Hopefully it's one of those getting use to situation.

FUNIMATION still king of dubs.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If you don't often watch dubs, what is the point of complaining about them? Just to troll?

Because I do watch some dubs...? Is there some magical amount of dubbed series I have to watch before I can voice an opinion about them on a forum? Do you decide that magical number? Or are you just trying to be offensive on purpose
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
I don't know if it's the clip chosen, I found everyone good except Soma...which is like god damn important to nail. Such a shame after they got the best VA for Bell. Hopefully it's one of those getting use to situation.

FUNIMATION still king of dubs.

Most of the roles sound okay, Soma is really bad though in my opinion and since he's the MC he's basically worth double points.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
TasteyCookie wrote:
I don't watch Dubs often but I haven't been happy with many of Sentai dubs, whereas I personally find the Funimation dubs much more palpable.

They weren't complaining, they were just stating an opinion. They didn't say "dubs suck" and all that noise like most people do they just said they prefer Funi dubs over Sentai generally which I kind of agree with since Sentai is more miss than hit with me when it comes to their dubs (looking at you Girls Und Panzer).

They probably listen to previews of dubs to see if they want to watch the series in english. Sounds fine to me.

As for me I think this dub is fine enough. Souma is decidedly meh but Jad Saxton and Luci Christian are in it so I'll give it a shot. I didn't watch any of Food Wars!, but the LE is enticing enough for me to give it a shot.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

Then of course there is also the streaming dilemma, where if Sentai gets season 3 (which they most certainly will) then it will probably go on Anime Strike. I really really extrememly hate the CC style subs used for Anime Strike and would most likely watch it on fansubs instead since Food wars tends to have a lot of on screen text.

The Sentai shows on Strike don't use their close captioning system for the on screen text. They utilize normal subtitles, usually in the same position and color as the on screen text. Only the dialogue is in the close captions. I would prefer the normal home video subs, especially since they actually take time with theirs and even put different speakers in different colors, unlike Funimationa and CR who just slap a whole wall of text up at once with hardly any indication as to who is saying what.

And honestly, I dread opening up these comments anytime a dub clip is posted. Everyone just needs to accept that not everyone agrees with their opinion and has different tastes. Not to mention, you can't judge the entirety of an English dub by a minute long clip, anymore than you can judge the quality of the show by the trailer. It's a little ridiculous, especially as it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3