• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fastest Finger First

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
As someone who has participate in quiz bowls, I still can't believe I'm watching an anime about it. The atmosphere is quite similar. The set up is kinda different (our entire club was split into different squads and went around to different rooms challenging different schools). This show brought back all of those memories...

So, she's a drama actress. I thought I heard somewhere the female lead was an idol of sorts. Good to know.

I'm looking forward to more.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I won't be watching this one weekly, but I checked out Mari's voice and greatly enjoyed it.
BethanyP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I've dropped this one from the watch list. A lot of little things have been getting on my nerves from episode 1, and since I'm just as annoyed by episode 3, it's time to give it up
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I participated in high school quiz competitions before, so I'll follow this one to the end.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
This has been pretty fun so far. Fukami'sd seiyuu sounded pretty stiff in the first ep. but she really grew on me. It's pretty refreshing to hear something different from "typical anime girl" for once.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I really like that they let you play along and put up the whole question on screen. I think I "buzzed in" on 4 I got right this time. Wink

To my surprise, I think I'm going to like Jinko too. She has the potential to be obnoxious, but so far she's just been fun (her intro was funny, with her brother revealing his Kansai accent, and "You're a totally different genre!"), and I absolutely relate to her penchant for taking things apart.

Too bad this isn't getting more, er, buzz, but I guess there's not a whole lot to talk about week-to-week besides liking it or not.
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Am i the only one who thought that "Cosplay Girl" might not really be a girl?

And aww to Koshiyama's and Mikuriya becoming best frenemies Very Happy
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
^Yep, I got that feeling, too. They were funny, anyway.

And Mikuriya acting all tough is the cutest thing.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Certainly I wondered that as well. At the very least, the character uses "boku" as personal pronoun, which isn't dispositive but adds to the uncertainty.
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Cosplay girl reminds me of Rui Ninomiya from Gatchaman Crowds who was the author of the social CROWDS app.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
Cosplay girl reminds me of Rui Ninomiya from Gatchaman Crowds who was the author of the social CROWDS app.

Exactly the impression I had as well.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Merida wrote:

Certainly I wondered that as well. At the very least, the character uses "boku" as personal pronoun, which isn't dispositive but adds to the uncertainty.

I mainly could not hear "her" voice as anything but someone like Matsuoka Yoshitsugu with a falsetto, so yes, I thought so too Surprised
eely225

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm really anxious that Cosplay Girl is going to turn out to be Evil/Crazy Crossdresser Who Is Obsessed With Koshiyama Now.

Talk about a plot thread this show didn't need. I hope I'm wrong, but things could really take a turn for the cringe if I'm not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure I'd go so far as "evil" but rather just mischievous. He seems to enjoy trolling but not in a malicious way. That could prove to be wrong once we've seen what's on his mind.

I suppose this is kind of filler in that it's still setting the stage for the bigger event, but it didn't really feel that way to me. It seems to be rolling along at the pace it's always kept, which has never been edge-of-your-seat at its most dramatic.

I liked the contrast in the sibling relationships. Like if Gakuto wasn't Jinko's brother, his embarrassing her would've bothered me, but it just seemed like the sort of normally inconsiderate thing he'd do as her brother, so it was funny. And her inappropriate buzzer sounds were her way of poking fun at how seriously he takes everything.

Compare that to Mari's idolizing her brother and almost being afraid of him, or at least of his disapproval, while he is all overprotective and trying to make sure she doesn't follow in his footsteps, for whatever reason he thinks it was a mistake.

And then we have the older sister (who seems like a teacher rather than a student) who's deadly serious about everything and her cross-dressing brother who seems to take nothing seriously.

So yeah, I thought there was quite a bit of character development across the board this episode.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
^Yeah, i didn't really consider this episode a "filler" either because this show feels a lot more like slice of life about characters who love competitive quizzing than a hardcore sports anime to me.

So what's the deal with Mari's brother? He seemed really passionate about quizzing (and pretty good), so i don't believe for a second that he gave up quizzing in order to focus on his entrance exams. I sense some serious quiz trauma here! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2