• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Classroom of the Elite Anime's English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
Funimation: Let's round up the usual suspects of our dubbing staff.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
dude, show me the Japanese casts for the season and you'll see many VAs with multiple roles.

Example, Yuuki Kaji has 4 anime roles this year (not including theatrical work). In 2015, he had 9 roles. In 2016, he had 15 roles.

Go down the casts for animes this season and you'll see the same big VAs across a bunch of titles. Does that deemed the show experience?

Btw, I like Yuuki Kaji (he's Issei) but I'm tired of people attacking dubs just because. Dubs help grow anime in whatever language (country) they're dubbed. Show me a little kid been ok with subtitles... Yeah I don't think so and those are the fans that will support anime in the future. You and me are already hook, the trick is to hook more people so that we can have more quality anime not less.

Last time I checked, the most successful movies/amines WW (outside of JP but include JP too) have had dubs (DBZ, Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Evangelion, and on and on). Don't like dubs then don't watch them. The English VAs are such nice people (haven't had a bad experience yet... And they're definitely not awkward like the JP VAs I've met and had to beg for a damn autograph). I'm sorry for the long post but the comment kinda hit a nerve.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
Only caught a few minutes but sounded solid. Interested in some of these cast choices, especially a few VAs I haven't seen in a while.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei
Calm down now ,my comment was made in jest. I'm well aware of Japanese voice actors also having the same thing happen.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Chichiryuutei
Calm down now ,my comment was made in jest. I'm well aware of Japanese voice actors also having the same thing happen.

Too bad as I thought you meant "get the usual voice actors instead". The only one I'm familiar with is usually in Sentai dubs and I'd rather have Emily Neves... also a Sentai regular... in a show rather than just scripting it.

Maybe I'm the problem as my preference of one really great lead performance to hang the whole show on doesn't match the modern Funimation's mass produced homogeny.

Give me a ham in a role with cheese and I'm happy.... but that's a "bad dub" somehow?

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Crext

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
I think it is good to have voice actors with experience in most cases. If we remember just a few years back dubs tended to have such poor quality that today's people wouldn't believe. Now it is rare to see horrible dubs because they tend to use people that understand the culture more, and that people writing the lines and translating also understand it more as well. Gone are the days where the norm was a bunch of people sounding like they were reading off a piece of paper.

Anyways, they still have a ways to go where the average performance at times could be mediocre to high. We have yet to see a constant output of outstanding, but I think we are getting there for English dubs eventually, where the recent games like Nier:Automata is a recent example of the localization succeeds in all parts of the art.

Last edited by Crext on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
I am not sure why people are complaining about this dub cast. It has veteran VA's, but most of them are part of the new weave of voice talent that started working at Funimation 4-5 years ago. The cast look very solid, and I am sure Funimation will create a good dub.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not usually one who watches dubs but I follow them, mostly since I have friends who prefer them over subs.

I'm not really annoyed or have an opinion on this cast, considering I can't vouch for their quality, but considering the casts for their previous seasons there seems to be less variety than normal, it seems to be roughly the same cast for every show. Curious about what's going on internally to cause that.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I'll check this out since Emily Neves is writing it. She's had a pretty good track record so far with Yona and Hyouka.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac
It's just if you watch D Frag and Bento Funimation decided both needed Austin Tindle for the lead role apparently instead of hiring I don't know another voice actor so I do find it rather annoying sometimes.

And I've lost count the many roles of Chris Sabat and Eric Vale in Funimation dubs. They are good voice actors though so I'm not that angry about it. But pretty much you know it's Funimation if you hear or see any of these two people involved with an anime dub.

Mostly it's just me joking about the repetition of the voice actors by Funimation at times, though they seem to be getting better.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Animegomaniac
It's just if you watch D Frag and Bento Funimation decided both needed Austin Tindle for the lead role apparently instead of hiring I don't know another voice actor so I do find it rather annoying sometimes.

And I've lost count the many roles of Chris Sabat and Eric Vale in Funimation dubs. They are good voice actors though so I'm not that angry about it. But pretty much you know it's Funimation if you hear or see any of these two people involved with an anime dub.

Mostly it's just me joking about the repetition of the voice actors by Funimation at times, though they seem to be getting better.

I guess someone hasn't been paying attention to Viz dub casts (looking at you terraformers) where they use the same voice actor for multiple roles in the same show.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman
Well yes, it's a problem there too.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

Curious about what's going on internally to cause that.

directorial preference most likely. some of them will go with a cast of new or underused people, and some prefer to stick primarily with vets, people they know they can work well with. some flip flop with casting. Apphia appears to like the safe option. hard to know for sure, since this is only her second show's she's had by herself from the start
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Chichiryuutei, your initial post is what I am still waiting for. That is, a forum thread where multiple responses are how the Japanese tend to overuse many of the same seiyuu.
Chichiryuutei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Chichiryuutei

Codeanime93, I didn't mean to attack you in my comment. For some reason I took your comment as an attack on English/insert other language Dubs and wanted to show you and others that the JP dubbing houses do the same thing Funimation does... albeit with a larger pool of talent to pick from though.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Chichiryuutei, your initial post is what I am still waiting for. That is, a forum thread where multiple responses are how the Japanese tend to overuse many of the same seiyuu.

Hi Kadmos1, glad I was able to start the conversation then. Let's be honest, we've all watch a bunch of subs at some point and noticed that some characters sounded the same. We just can't pick it up as fast because we don't speak Japanese. This raises the question... are we really rating/criticizing the JP dub or are we just using the sounds to then rate the English/other language dub? I have noticed that in most cases it's the latter and not the first and it makes sense... We don't speak Japanese... how can you rate/criticize something that you don't even understand?

I think the real issue with this hate of Dubs is that many in our community still believe Japanese to be the original/cannon language when in reality, the way the medium works (it's animated first then dub) it easily allows for any language to make it is own. I can think of many dubs that sound way better in English/Spanish than they do in Japanese.

Think of Hollywood for a second, how many roles has Tom Cruise or Tom Hanks had? Too many to count and yet they always try to bring something new. It's called acting for a reason lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1