• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are the popular/good ongoing shojo series right now?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Realized the other day that while i'm very familiar with the shonen manga landscape due to the english Shonen Jump, i have no clue what the popular or good ongoing shojo series are. I enjoy reading shojo, but aside from Kimi ni Todoke (and My Love Story, i think?), all my favorites ended several years ago.

What's the current landscape for shojo manga?
Calico

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure about the current landscape of shojo manga, but I'l make some guesses. I think in general there's a lot more supernatural/yokai themed shojo being brought over. I think we might also be in the middle of a small fantasy boom in shojo manga, with titles like Yona of the Dawn and Children of the Whales getting anime and being licensed. I can recommend you some ongoing titles if you want?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's officially considered shoujo or not, but The Ancient Magus Bride is really popular right now, especially with the anime about to start.
Calico

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa, the Ancient Magus Bride technically isn't shojo, but it might as well be. I've seen it mostly recommended as a shojo title.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
I can recommend you some ongoing titles if you want?

That would be great, thanks; I'd love to know some current shojo titles worth looking at
animecosplayer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Kamisama Hajimemashita 2

Nanami continues being a 'Land God/Earth Deity' and as well being in love with her familiar, Tomoe. Still with Onikiri, Kotetsu and Tomoe, she is living with her new familiar Mizuki and Mamoru, a monkey shikigami. Her 'being a god' thing continues as she was given a test by Otohiko, a wind god, to determine her capability to attend the Divine Assembly in Izumo.
Calico

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
@Merxamers
Natsume's Book of Friends is a long, ongoing manga about a boy who can see spirits. It's one of my overall favorites. It's very heartwarming and cute.

Requiem of the Rose King is the exact opposite of my previous recommendation: it's bloody, melodramatic, and pretty much a tragedy. And I love it. It's very loosely based on Shaespeare's King Richard III, but you don't need to know the play at all to read it.

Yona of the Dawn is about a deposed princess on the run, who grows stronger over the course of the manga and gathers warriors to take back her kingdom. Think Basara, if you've read that.

Children of the Whales hasn't come out in English yet(the first volume is due in November) but it looks pretty interesting. It's a post-apocalyptic fantasy about kids with shortened lifespans.

Obviously this list is based on my personal tastes, and I don't read a lot of romance. But if you just want to browse a lot of shojo manga, try the official shojo beat tumblr here. They're really good about posting their latest releases there, and if you browse for a bit you might see something that catches your eye. They also have a twitter, if you'd prefer that.

I hope I helped.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
@Calico those are all good suggestions, thanks; checking out the shojo beat tumblr sounds like a good idea
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1