• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss Anime's Final Episode Airs as 1-Hour Special

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
I know 1st episodes sometimes are an hour long, but this is the first time i've seen the LAST episode be an hour long.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
We are either going to have a sequel hook to adapt the biggest arc (considering the overall pacing of this adaptation, they can easily cover up to the spoiler[6th Layer descent] in 10 or so episodes in a second season), or we are getting an anime original ending.

if we get a second season, we gonna run out of material for a long while depending of it being a split cour (less than an year of wait between the airing periods) or a late sequel (late 2018 or 2019/2020).

In either case, the part they are adapting alone is already even better than the already good source material (especially with them taking out part of the creepy pervy side of the manga that pops out here and there in the story (hopefully they'll cut the whole spoiler[Hot springs] part altogether as well, that stuff really turns most of the people off from I could see and experience (reread the whole thing 2 times now).

fantaselion wrote:
I know 1st episodes sometimes are an hour long, but this is the first time i've seen the LAST episode be an hour long.

I can name a few nowadays (a long time ago, my only example would probably be the super infodumping long last episodes of "Key the Metal Idol"), UBW's first season for example had both 1h long first episode and final episode.

Last edited by danpmss on Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
It would be a crime for this not to get a second season. easily one of the best shows of the year
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Blood Blockade Battlefront also had an extended last episode. Good call for this show.

Some have said the show has dipped in the middle, but particularly with the revelations episode and the one that just came out, my interest has never dwindled. Thank god the Japanese audience is hooked on it too.

Bring on season two!

...next year...don't rush it and ruin it.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
Even with the 1 hour episode Im convince that they going to end it on spoiler[Reg killing the Nanamachi's deformed friend and they leave for the next layer]

Probably going to really expand on Nanamachi and her character.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear this. I can't get enough of this show and more is better.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
(hopefully they'll cut the whole spoiler[Hot springs] part altogether as well, that stuff really turns most of the people off from I could see and experience (reread the whole thing 2 times now).

I hope they keep it in just in spite of crybabies like you.

I mean you're pretty much advocating for censorship because of appeal to authority of X people you know who read several tomes of manga just to drop it because the kids took a bath.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
Shows in my top 5 of the season. Cool that it is getting a special.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Top 5 of the season? Hell, this is in my top 5 of the decade. I pray for more shows like this. This is better than AoT in my view. I sincerely hope they get a second season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
I also want a second season, but perhaps this hour long episode means that there will be some kind of original ending that wraps up the story in a nice way. Whatever the anime producers decided to do, I just hope for the best. And yes, Made in Abyss is the best anime series of this season and potentially the whole year.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
This is my 3rd favorite show of the season and I really hope it leaves room for a second season if it decides to go anime original ending. Though generally a 1 hour special would lean towards something more final, which would be sad Sad
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

Top 5 of the season? Hell, this is in my top 5 of the decade. I pray for more shows like this. This is better than AoT in my view. I sincerely hope they get a second season.

Yea its good, but I enjoy other shows more. More so if we include the whole year. It's ranking in my mind will depend on how it ends.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
Let's hope it doesn't sour me on the whole experience like BBB's did
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
This is my 3rd favorite show of the season and I really hope it leaves room for a second season if it decides to go anime original ending. Though generally a 1 hour special would lean towards something more final, which would be sad Sad

Season 1 of Blood Blockade Battlefront also had a one hour finale that wrapped up loose ends, and that's still getting a second season, so there may be hope for this show yet. At least... that's what I choose to believe. Anime cry
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
Season 1 of Blood Blockade Battlefront also had a one hour finale that wrapped up loose ends, and that's still getting a second season, so there may be hope for this show yet. At least... that's what I choose to believe. Anime cry

You have to also remember that BBB was a commercial hit in Japan with 17k copies sold per BD/DVD volume. Made in Abyss is projected to do okay disc sales wise, but probably not good enough to warrant a second season. But you never know; I second season of Abyss may have been planned all along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3