• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters Blu-Ray Part Three

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Until I actually started to frequent forums and become an advanced member of the anime community I never knew people had such an issue with the Majin Buu saga. I'm glad that you saw a lot of merit in it. It's always been my favorite arc of DBZ aside from the Cell saga.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Until I actually started to frequent forums and become an advanced member of the anime community I never knew people had such an issue with the Majin Buu saga. I'm glad that you saw a lot of merit in it. It's always been my favorite arc of DBZ aside from the Cell saga.

I knew the Buu saga had problems when I was a kid, but I never really hated it as much as most of the fandom does. Really some of the main gripes people had with it were how easy it was to become a Super Saiyan for Goten and Trunks, The somewhat almost too light of a tone after the seriousness of the Cell Saga, Fusion being a bit of a gimmick than anything substantial, and how Gohan was pretty much shafted despite all of his character development so Goku could be the hero again.

Other than that I still enjoyed it for the most part and will own it when/if Funimation combines them into one set like they did the other parts.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:

I knew the Buu saga had problems when I was a kid, but I never really hated it as much as most of the fandom does. Really some of the main gripes people had with it were how easy it was to become a Super Saiyan for Goten and Trunks, The somewhat almost too light of a tone after the seriousness of the Cell Saga, Fusion being a bit of a gimmick than anything substantial, and how Gohan was pretty much shafted despite all of his character development so Goku could be the hero again.

Other than that I still enjoyed it for the most part and will own it when/if Funimation combines them into one set like they did the other parts.
I agree with all of the gripes you mentioned and they're very valid. When you mention all of those I could see why people would think harshly of the arc but my love for it remains unhinged. I appreciated how the animation transformed for the better and I enjoyed stages of Buu and how each of them brought a more bleak tone to the arc.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Buu has always been my favorite arc of DBZ. It's not perfect but it has the majority of my favorite moments. I for one love Goten & Trunks and as a Vegeta fan this definitely feels like the culmination of his character arc (in the way the Freeza and Cell arc just weren't even though his story could have ended in both arcs). Granted I did like Gohan being the main hero of Cell but I also loved Goku & Vegeta truly working together in Buu and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

I just started collecting Kai but I made the decision to only collect up to the Cell Saga. With Buu I decided I am going to stick to the original DBZ BRs. I just want the original
When it comes to the Buu saga.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally, the back half of the Buu arc is to me the best part of it and makes up for the sluggish middle portion where the only things of interest are Goku going Super Saiyan 3 and having a brief fight with Buu and Mr. Satan befriending Buu. Yes, everything from the arrival of Super Buu at Kami's Lookout to the actual climax with the Spirit Bomb is basically one long fight but it's probably the very best action that Dragon Ball ever did, helped even more that Toei put in their best effort for the animation of the series in this arc.

Also helped by the fact that Buu is allowed to go further than most villains in fiction by getting to kill 99.9% of humanity and destroy the Earth (no matter how temporary it last) thus really selling that idea that this is gravest threat that the Dragon Ball universe has ever faced. (Indeed, it's been a problem of Super's to try and top that which they haven't really succeeded in until the current arc.)

Yes, I can understand that maybe Gohan as it was set up to be before Toriyama changed his mind or Vegito beating Super Buu would make more logical sense but I glad it that it played out the way that it did. However unintended by the author, there is something poetically fitting in Goku and Vegeta, the ones who released Buu in the first place, defeating him through a combination of a technique that had never been effective up to this point outside non-canon movies, the Dragon Balls and most of all, Mr. Satan who has completely redeemed himself from the obnoxious buffoon that everyone wanted Cell to kill in his debut. Add in the completion of Vegeta's character arc and all in all, I couldn't ask for a better climax to the series.

And although, the ending of the series isn't well liked, I think it's just perfect. Dragon Ball shouldn't have a definitive end but one that promises that Goku will continue to keep on overcoming his limits. (Here's hoping that Super doesn't retcon it too badly.)

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's time for the final installment, not just of The Final Chapters, but of DBZ Kai as a whole. Before the recent movies and Dragon Ball Super, this was the definitive climax of Akira Toriyama's work

uh not. really. in the 90's the definitive climax of his work was dragon ball gt. even though he had nothing to do with that series. its similar to what bourto is to naurto since kishimoto isn't involved at all in boruto.

its was due to the new movies and DB Super that the fanbase have declared GT and everything about it including SS4 transformation and the shadow dragons non-canon. if it wasn't for super and the movies, GT would be still considered canon. am I wrong?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
I always liked the Bus saga, I enjoy it more than the Androids and Cell saga. It starts off a bit goofy but then it has this sense of hopelessness on a scale the series has never had. They had to sit around not being able to do anything to Buu while he went and fucked shit up. The outlook just continued to get more and more bleak until literally everyone but Goku, Vegeta and Satan died.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:
It's time for the final installment, not just of The Final Chapters, but of DBZ Kai as a whole. Before the recent movies and Dragon Ball Super, this was the definitive climax of Akira Toriyama's work

uh not. really. in the 90's the definitive climax of his work was dragon ball gt. even though he had nothing to do with that series. its similar to what bourto is to naurto since kishimoto isn't involved at all in boruto.

its was due to the new movies and DB Super that the fanbase have declared GT and everything about it including SS4 transformation and the shadow dragons non-canon. if it wasn't for super and the movies, GT would be still considered canon. am I wrong?

Yes GT was always considered not canon by many fans well before Super because of Toriyama's lack of involvement. In the same way many people don't consider the original DBZ movies canon before BOG.

That being said I see many people don't consider Super canon. After all Toriyama doesn't write it he just provides an outline an approves what is written or gives suggestions. Personally that's enough for me to consider it canon.

I personally don't consider GT canon but I wouldn't argue with someone who does. Every fan has their own reason for considering something canon I guess.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
I hated the Buu Saga.

I got tired of Frieza's countless transformations, but hey, he was the first villain to do that kind of thing in the series.

Then Cell's forms, his ability to use every Z-Warrior's technique, along with his near unstoppable ability to regenerate.I mean I guess I could give Cell a pass since his storyline was alot more interesting than "Get those DragonBall's! Gotta find'em all!".

Then Buu just does all of that, and despite getting blown to pieces constantly, keeps coming back countless times, and you always see the stupid look on -Insert Z Warrior Here)'s face when they are shocked to see him regenerate time and time again.

Buu Saga was just a stupid rehash.

DBZ Kai Buu Saga though just makes it even worse because the new music is god awful. Say what you will about Yamamoto and his plagiarism, his score for the original Kai was godlike. I wouldn't even mind if they just returned to using the classic DragonBall OST for the Kai Buu Saga, but jeez... this new score is awful, as is the opening/ending themes, something which sticks around in Super. I absolutely can't stand any of the music in Super, it's so bad compared to classic DB/Z. Even GT had a good soundtrack at the very least!

Hell I'd even take Bruce Falconer's stuff over the new music in DBZ Kai Buu Saga.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

Yes GT was always considered not canon by many fans well before Super because of Toriyama's lack of involvement. In the same way many people don't consider the original DBZ movies canon before BOG.

The movies weren't canon by virtue of the fact they cause complications and plot holes by taking place in awkward intervals the only movie to largely avoid this was Bojack Unbound and kind of Sorta of Movie 13.

Running Wild wrote:

Then Cell's forms, his ability to use every Z-Warrior's technique, along with his near unstoppable ability to regenerate.I mean I guess I could give Cell a pass since his storyline was alot more interesting than "Get those DragonBall's! Gotta find'em all

Allegedly both sets of Androids were supposed to be the main villians of that arc let that sink in.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

The movies weren't canon by virtue of the fact they cause complications and plot holes by taking place in awkward intervals the only movie to largely avoid this was Bojack Unbound and kind of Sorta of Movie 13.

You could squeeze Cooler (during the training to fight the androids), return of cooler (also pre androids), and the first Broly movie (Time before the Cell Games) as well if you try hard enough.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:

Boruto is definitely canon. Kishimoto supervises the direction of the manga. The anime is just creating a path that leads up to the eventual main story of the source material. But nonetheless, considering Kishimoto devised the entire storyboard of the Boruto film its safe to conclude its canon.
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Quote:

Nah, GT got shunned pretty hard by fans and fast nothing to do with DBS. I remember that Schemmel and Sabat were at a Con one time and jokingly called GT canon and they got booed by the crowd... Lol.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

You could squeeze Cooler (during the training to fight the androids), return of cooler (also pre androids), and the first Broly movie (Time before the Cell Games) as well if you try hard enough.

I guess though in the latter case it suffers a particularly glaring issue with Vegeta being able to turn SS eventhough no one knew he was capable of doing that until the run in with the Androids, there's also the problem of Goku and the others knowing where New Namek is eventhough in the series Goku didn't know where it was til much later with King Kai's help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1