• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Take to Change.org To Bring Back Former Kemono Friends Director

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naotomato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Are the Japanese fans also in on this or is this strictly a western thing? Because if it's the latter then they might not care sad to say.
JMmelegrito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:
Are the Japanese fans also in on this or is this strictly a western thing? Because if it's the latter then they might not care sad to say.

Kemono Friends and TATSUKI-related hashtags on Twitter, in Japanese, are one of the top trends a couple of days ago.

The Change.org petition is also in Japanese.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Could this be another example of someone having given approval to a promotion that did not have the authority to do so?

Mark Gosdin
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
Could this be another example of someone having given approval to a promotion that did not have the authority to do so?

Possibly, but that doesn't change the fact that Change.org is the PetitionOnline.com of the 00's. Laughing
(Ask the older fans why they're snorting milk and laughing, right now, at the very mention of the name.)
And that's the 00's, not even the 10's.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viewers criticized the apology as a ploy by Kadokawa to pull out the "voice actress guard" to deflect blame off of the company.

It also doesn't help that the JRA and Nissin are none too happy about being indirectly dragged into this because it unsurprisingly turns out they did get clearance from Kadokawa first.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, we all know that petitions that doesn't signed by the people who have the weight on this situations, didn't do anything. But at least Tatsuki can be happy with all of this support.

At other thing, damage control of Kadokawa really go out of control. Otaku not only didn't believe their previous statement, but also forced the companies with whom the collabs were conducted - JRA and NISSIN - to refute Kadokawa's statements that Tatsuki made collab videos without their consent, thereby catching Kadokawa as liars. So, the things doesn't go smoothly in the next days.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
evileye_theblocker wrote:
Naotomato wrote:

Kemono Friends and TATSUKI-related hashtags on Twitter, in Japanese, are one of the top trends a couple of days ago.

The Change.org petition is also in Japanese.

Oh that's awesome then. I'll pass this to my friend and see if he can sign it too.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Tatsuki is unlikely to be hired back. Probably the best case scenario is to make sure that Kemono Friends ends with season 1 rather than season 2 being a disgrace for one reason or another, and that the animation studio makes something new that is also good.

I doubt this outrage will change much in the long run unless it does manage to destroy Kadokawa. At most, a few executives will commit seppuku, which seems like a big deal, but is not that surprising in the case of a major corporate screw-up.
Nagatoka_Morito

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the KF anime much at all (largely because of the direction and animation) but I just wanted to say that I feel for the fans who are upset over this whole thing and hope it gets straightened out without too many hurt feelings or (gods forbid) lawsuits.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Kadokawa even made the voice actresses apologize for them and they are handling this so poorly that it is kind of impressive.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Sounds odd to petition the guy to get a job when he did not want it in the first place.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I need more details on WHY he got fired before I can take any side. As far as I know, he might've deserved it. People are being unfair by assuming he's innocent and Kadokawa guilty. I'm not taking Kadokawa's side though, I just think it's best to get the facts first. I doubt we'll ever get the facts though...
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Naotomato wrote:
All of this outrage was mainly from the Japanese fanbase - Kemono Friends didn't really have that much of the fanbase on the West than in Eastern Asia. And yes, the petition also comes from the japanese fans.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sounds odd to petition the guy to get a job when he did not want it in the first place.
Hell no, you're got this all wrong. Director really wanted to do more, but the IP holders backstabbed him and kicking him out from the series that he's made gold by his own hands, for the completely deep shit reasons. That's why the shit hits the fan all over Kadokawa in the first place.

Kougeru wrote:
I need more details on WHY he got fired before I can take any side. As far as I know, he might've deserved it. People are being unfair by assuming he's innocent and Kadokawa guilty. I'm not taking Kadokawa's side though, I just think it's best to get the facts first. I doubt we'll ever get the facts though...
The facts clearly say that Kadokawa by any means wanted to gain full control on the Kemono Friends IP future products, even if it means to kick out the ones who made it gold in the first place - the same thing that Konami did long ago with Kojima. Their statement about "misappropriate use of their IP" (not even copyright infringement, because they can't claim it - just misapproriate use!) was the blatant lie - JRA and Nissin, that dragged to all of this bullshit, refuted the claims and says that they did had Kadokawa agreement to their collabs - exactly opposite of Kadokawa's statement.

So basically, all of their doing for now is just trying to have the IP all over by themselves (even if it means of it's dying on the peak), and saving their face from the completely outraged fanbase by doing cheap moves, like seiyuu apologizing for them.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
So basically, all of their doing for now is just trying to have the IP all over by themselves..

They don't "try to have it".

Kadokawa has the IP. Period. They can do whatever they want with it.

As an anime director Tatsuki better understand he should do what IP-owners want, otherwise his career in this industry is very short.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3