• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Get Into Muv-Luv

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hooray that this article came to be! It fondly reminded me of how, as a result of poorly labelled fansubs, I mistook the sequel OVA to Rumbling Hearts for the main series itself, resultantly leaving me clueless about why it occurred in medias res.

My oversight was soon corrected, allowing me to fully embrace the series and thus relish in frustration at the fact it bore such a banal English name...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hooray that this article came to be! It fondly reminded me of how, as a result of poorly labelled fansubs, I mistook the sequel OVA to Rumbling Hearts for the main series itself, resultantly leaving me clueless about why it occurred in medias res

Actually, everyone’s still pretty clueless about those OVAs. Like why a key conversation in episode 2 is apparently taking place while news coverage of the 9/11 attacks is playing on a TV in the background: https://twitter.com/invalidname/status/761022007169298432

(Accurate, though: in the Rumbling Hearts / Muv-Luv timeline, the main events of Rumbling Hearts take place in summer and early fall 2001, and Muv-Luv begins on October 22, 2001)
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I recall being traumatized by Rumbling Hearts but I can't explain exactly why.

I think it was the debut of singer Kuribayashi Minami, right? So at least, that's nice.
makoto99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I recall being traumatized by Rumbling Hearts but I can't explain exactly why.

I think it was the debut of singer Kuribayashi Minami, right? So at least, that's nice.

I think that was her debut, both as a VA and a singer, or technically she debuted with the original game since it came out a little earlier I guess.

One particular scene and Haruka's line made me want to slam my head into the sidewalk repeatedly and then let a steamroller run over me... spoiler[once she finds out she was in a coma, the "give me my time back!" scene...]

Muv Luv was fun. I loved the Kiminozo cameo/homage when Sumika steps into the street. I'm mad that it was edited for the Steam version Sad
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
To me, the song Rumbling Hearts (which I have seen live) wasn't as good as:

Muv-Luv (マブラヴ) / Minami Kuribayashi (Muv-Luv OP)

INSANITY / Masami Okui (Muv-Luv Alternative Total Eclipse OP)

Once & Forever / GRANRODEO (Muv-Luv Alternative OP)

Carry On / Masaaki Endoh (Muv-Luv Alternative IN)

I Will / Minami Kuribayashi (MuvLuv ED)

but I really like these two Minami Kuribayashi songs which I have seen live:

Signs ~Sakutsuki Hitoyo~ / Minami Kuribayashi (Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse ED)

Doubt the World / Minami Kuribayashi (Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse OP)
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Main entry barrier to this series: those plugsuits designs are so ugly.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
BTW, a couple links of note for the curious:

• http://muvluv.moe - The official English-language Muv-Luv site. Yes, really, a .moe site. Also has forums at http://community.muvluv.moe.
  • There's a fairly active Discord server for Muv-Luv Fans. Here's an invite URL.
  • The fan translation group Alternative Projects more or less became the official translation team for Degica over the past few years.
  • Muv-Luv translation lead @enjoievan has also been working on a fan translation of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien / Rumbling Hearts, and has a page for it at http://kiminozo.life. There's a bunch of side-story content he's translated here and put up as videos, including some Kiminozo drama CDs, the extras from the 2008 "Latest Edition", and lately "Kimi ga Nozomu Muv-Luv", a kinetic novel in which Rumbling Hearts' protagonist Takayuki and Muv-Luv protagonist Takeru do an unexpected mind swap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1