• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yamakan Lashes Out at Wake Up, Girls! Cast on Twitter

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I would respectfully advise that everyone please put their shovels down. The hole is deep enough.

Mark Gosdin
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
So, basically Yamakan infuriates because he has been deprived from control of the franchise, by giving him a kick under the soft spot, and therefore he cannot longer deliver the scenes with idol panties - and now he thinks that just mentioning about this is an insult to him?

Hilarious. Just. God. Damned. Hilarious.

Last edited by WANNFH on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Somehow the only image floating into mind is of Abe from Simpsons yelling at the clouds... Confused
omoikane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The joke is not funny anymore when it has to be explained to an audience (ANN readers) in order for them to understand it, so why report it...
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm just... wow. The way he reacts so defensively to the pettiest of perceived slights (and the fact they are done via tweets) reminds me of a certain someone...
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Like the great Spike Spiegel once said, "Can't we just salt him and eat him?"
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I have little to say in regards to that delusional, self-aggrandizing man-baby, and in all honestly I’m getting sick of his tantrums being treated like ‘Hayao Miyazaki outbursts’ clickbait headlines to get people venting in the forums.

However, I will say kudos to Okuno & Yoshioka for publicly calling out the constant panty shots during the performances, even if they did it in a fairly light-hearted way. I tried checking out the original series in preparation for the sequels, and couldn’t get over how blatant the fanservice was. It was gross enough to discover some of the idols were 12/13 years old, but when the second episode focused on a sleazy producer who makes the girls perform in skimpy outfits, while also ogling at them the entire time, I had to bail. I just couldn’t get over cognitive dissonance between publicly damning something, yet privately (via camera shots) utterly indulging in it. Then I checked out the main staff and everything suddenly made complete horrifying sense.

Well, hopefully the new season receives the mainstream success of its rivals, now that the creep’s been removed. From what I saw of the franchise there was real potential to do well, so hopefully this proves the fresh start the show deserves.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Yamakan getting mad at the voice actresses and saying he will remember it for the rest of his life just makes him seem bitter. Than again that is rather obvious considering he is retweeting criticisms of the new season.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow. What a thin-skinned loser. Rolling Eyes To take a perceived slight that personally... sheesh, that's sad.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
but when the second episode focused on a sleazy producer who makes the girls perform in skimpy outfits, while also ogling at them the entire time, I had to bail. I just couldn’t get over cognitive dissonance between publicly damning something, yet privately (via camera shots) utterly indulging in it. Then I checked out the main staff and everything suddenly made complete horrifying sense.

There's no cognitive dissonance there. That's simply portraying the darker side of the idol industry. There are producers who have up-and-coming idols do gravure photo shoots or perform in lewd outfits on variety shows. That's something that happens. Wake up Girls acknowledges that it happens. It did so in an extremely uncomfortable manner in a way that shows how idols can be exploited. None of the other big idol franchises touch on this in any way whatsoever.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think the issue is that it shows the sleazy side of the industry, rather it in their first performance you seem some pretty gratuitous shots of the girls' underwear. And it can be quite lingering. I don't think it needed to show so much to get the point.

I did really like the first season, but there were times it had was quite uncomfortable where it was trying to have it's cake and eat it on the sexualisation part of the biz.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There are producers who have up-and-coming idols do gravure photo shoots or perform in lewd outfits on variety shows.

Gravure photo shoots are very common. They are called photobooks and most idol groups including the biggest of them AK48 does them. There are made in bathing suits and skimpy clothes. Just google it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the concert was impromptu (the girls all performed in their school outfits remember) so they didn't have the fake underwear that idols usually wear on. It was supposed to be a farewell concert and the girls just wanted to perform. It wouldn't make sense for them to not flash their panties (unless you're a believer in skirt magic as they twist and jump)
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
My question is who would work with this guy?? He seems like he's trying to bully his way into the industry. Who cares about the panties!?!? That shouldn't be the prime focus!! The small things this guy obsesses over makes me have a headache. I feel bad because the first season wasn't bad at all..but he's putting it in a bad light and making it seem less than the show actually is...
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Like the great Spike Spiegel once said, "Can't we just salt him and eat him?"

He doesn't need anymore salt. The guy's saltier than the Dead Sea.
I can't imagine why actresses might feel uncomfortable expressing their objection of their character's over-sexualization to him in person...Rolling Eyes. Seriously, if he's this bitter about an indirect comment made in an interview, imagine how he treats the cast in real life. I wouldn't want to work for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3