• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: IDW's New Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Slated for April 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
No offense, you guys, but this is not a manga. It's an American creation that adapts a Japanese creation (just like the previous "Amekomi" as Japanese people would call it), and has nothing to do with manga (or anime, for that matter).

Just saying.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
It's an American creation that adapts a Japanese creation

And there you go, that's why they covered this here.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
No offense, you guys, but this is not a manga. It's an American creation that adapts a Japanese creation (just like the previous "Amekomi" as Japanese people would call it), and has nothing to do with manga (or anime, for that matter).

Just saying.

I don’t see anyon claiming it’s a manga. It clearly says “comic”, and it’s based on a Japanese property. So what’s the issue here?
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Flynn being on board is a huge deal. He's probably the best 'All Ages' writer in the industry. No one else can balance light hearted adventure with such dark undertones.

My intrest in a new Sonic comic is pretty heavily tied to if the new come can (and will) feature the Freedom Fighters.

Sally, Bunny, and the rest will always trump Sega's official Sonic pals, IMO. Mostly because you can do more with them because Sega doesn't care about them.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
*Sees that Ian Flynn is writing this* YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:

Yeah, I'm glad they're keeping him on the team. He was quite the keystone for the last 7 years or so of the Archie run.

Now that they're in IDW, the same publisher that makes the comics for the franchise Sonic fans hate the most (and also just got a movie), will there be a crossover between Sonic and MLP? It'll be the greatest troll move in comic book history.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:

Yeah, I'm glad they're keeping him on the team. He was quite the keystone for the last 7 years or so of the Archie run.

Now that they're in IDW, the same publisher that makes the comics for the franchise Sonic fans hate the most (and also just got a movie), will there be a crossover between Sonic and MLP? It'll be the greatest troll move in comic book history.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
TheHTRO wrote:

Just saying.

I don’t see anyone claiming it’s a manga. It clearly says “comic”, and it’s based on a Japanese property. So what’s the issue here?

Probably an attention whore. Pay them no mind.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

From what I've seen, there's a significant overlap or they're indistinguishable by the overwhelming cringe which radiates from them.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Flynn being on board is a huge deal. He's probably the best 'All Ages' writer in the industry. No one else can balance light hearted adventure with such dark undertones.

cyberdraco wrote:

Thirded, hell of a choice and basically makes Sonic The Comic a new must purchase.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

My intrest in a new Sonic comic is pretty heavily tied to if the new come can (and will) feature the Freedom Fighters.

Sally, Bunny, and the rest will always trump Sega's official Sonic pals, IMO. Mostly because you can do more with them because Sega doesn't care about them.

Ignoring Archie canon seems like the best thing to do if they want to do an actual Sonic comic.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:

Just saying.
Sonic was made by the Japanese, I don't see the issue
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:

They're definitely getting my money off the back of Flynn being on board.

Mr Adventure wrote:

Would love to see them in the IDW series. Unsure if it's something they can do, but I'll have my fingers crossed.
Holyknight3000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
So long my childhood. the single comic book series i left and came back to and stayed with until i couldnt find anymore comics. Time to go gather the missing comics in my collection and put them in a vault and cry...

Good night sweet prince.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1