• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel I. presage flower (movie)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Darker than Fate/Zero? Good lord, that show had dozens of children die bloody deaths on screen. Yeah, i'll be seeing this film
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
I just feel like Aniplex is screwing with their (now expanded) list of theaters in 18 states. I know the US is huge and getting theaters is expensive, but having to drive 4 hours like I will (and I most certainly won’t be the farthest) is a bit pathetic. I mean, I’m pretty sure gas will cost me more than the $15 ticket. I don’t understand why they couldn’t just make it a Fathom Event like Sentai did with NGNL 0.
Oh well, can’t wait to see this!
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Darker than Fate/Zero? Good lord, that show had dozens of children die bloody deaths on screen. Yeah, i'll be seeing this film

Iirc it had one child die bloody death partly off-screen.
ss4chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
ya i think ill just wait for it to come out online to give my opinion. I thought UBW was great and the movie too but thats just me.

For Fate to be following trend of cutting a movie into 3 should be interesting. Will it be actually smart or just another way to make money ( Im looking at your Persona)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Guess the biggest question I have is this on the adaptation: does it follow the All-Ages version or the original version? This is actually a bit of a big difference considering a certain major character spoiler[was regularly raped as part of her familial abuse] in the original, uncensored version of the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShanaChanTT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Ya I think ill wait for this to come out online to give my opinion. I didn't agree with the review. I thought UBW the anime was well done and the movie wasn't terrible but thats my opinion. We'll have to see if it was smart to adapt the Heavens feel arc into 3 seperate movies or it was just another ploy to milk money (looking at your Persona 3) I really wish they made this into an anime series.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Fate/Stay Night adaptations have always had the problem of dealing with routes, you're meant to play them in the order of Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel, with everyone telling new fans to skip DEEN's Fate/Stay Night 2006 it makes character development harder because Saber's characterization is ignored.

Also, each route gives the main love interest the character development spotlight.

I hate this fanbase for the most part because they're so focused on how "pretty" the adaptation has to look. I have no problem with people skipping DEEN's 2006 F/SN if they're gonna go read the visual novel, but Mirror Moon's translation is crap.

I also hate the Visual Novel elitism that infects this fanbase, they literally discriminate against anime-only fans by calling them "secondaries".

I'll be very happy to pick up the movie trilogy, but the fanbase is one of the worst I've ever been in.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
I really don't think they could've choose a better format, and there's quite a few reason I think so. For one, consider that the UBW anime isn't quite that old and making a TV series of HF would require repeating a lot of scenes from UBW which are harder to cut once you're making something for TV. And since repeating too much would be detrimental from a narrative and for a business standpoint, doing a movie seems a more solid choice.
Also, HF as a movie serves as a solid segue to UBW, one that can assume the TV series existence without the need to repeat so much of it. Cutting those scenes also allows to invest more time and effort on what's actually new and if the review is anything to go by, they did take that chance. Finally, there quite a few things in HF which would be rather... controversial for a TV show but which can get a pass in a movie series. Like Kara no Kyoukai (ufotables magnum opus as far as I'm concerned) has eloquently demonstrated.
I do think that the Fate/Zero comparisons in the review are a bit excessive, even if comprehensible given the way those adaptations were made but aside from that, this is a fine review. I hope this movie can make its way to Netflix sooner rather than later.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
well this certainly sounds promising.

I really do wish that they would screen this film in Canada but i suppose fate just isn't that big or mainstream of an anime yet though i do think that there are enough people here that would be willing to go to it.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
I think it’s laughable to say that the first movie alone is already better than all of Fate/Zero. Maybe this trilogy is on pace to surpass Urobuchi’s original story, but to outright declare superiority right from the beginning doesn’t sit well with me.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the other characters have had their story told, so the pendulum now swings to Sakura and the Matoi family.

It's Matou.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Well, It's encouraging to hear that it suffers from none of the pacing problems that plagued Fate: UBW and is focused mostly on the route-exclusive material. Still going to reserve judgment until it gets to the big controversy next film.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
Shimazaki Nobunaga (voice actor of Ritsuka, Edmond and Arjuna) on Heaven's Feel. Copy/paste from /fgog/.

https://twitter.com/nobunaga_s/status/916925101664169984
>I can't say much because that would be spoilers. Please make sure go to see and enjoy the movie, and if you really are that interested in knowing what comes next, you can go play the original! You must go though Fate, then UBW and finally HF!

https://twitter.com/nobunaga_s/status/916928101422047234
>The way Shirou's behavior changes through Fate→UBW→HF is one of the most interesting things I can think of while reading stay night. I began with Melty Blood and then with Tsukihime, it's fine starting like that too, but I definitely recommend to read every route! That way you will enjoy it more!
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
The movie sounds really good, but saying part 1 out of 3 is better than Fate/Zero seems premature. Still, you have me intrigued.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Fate/Stay Night adaptations have always had the problem of dealing with routes, you're meant to play them in the order of Fate, Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel, with everyone telling new fans to skip DEEN's Fate/Stay Night 2006 it makes character development harder because Saber's characterization is ignored.

Also, each route gives the main love interest the character development spotlight.

I hate this fanbase for the most part because they're so focused on how "pretty" the adaptation has to look. I have no problem with people skipping DEEN's 2006 F/SN if they're gonna go read the visual novel, but Mirror Moon's translation is crap.

I also hate the Visual Novel elitism that infects this fanbase, they literally discriminate against anime-only fans by calling them "secondaries".

I'll be very happy to pick up the movie trilogy, but the fanbase is one of the worst I've ever been in.

In a way, I feel like reading 15 times more material than you should warrant a bit of a sense of entitlement... There's also those parts where the VN fanbase knows something and the anime only's keep trying to prove them otherwise. At the end of the day both sides are right and both sides are wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4