• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Apocrypha (Episodes 1-12)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
Unpopular opinion: I dropped the show after Episode 6. With a minimum of 16 characters participating the Holy Grail War, this is bound to be a gargantuan mess, no matter who's in charge of the storyline. Either that, or some of the characters are going to get glossed over. The beginning arc basically confirmed my fears for the latter which was why I dropped the show altogether.

Though, to be fair, I did at some point want to pick up the series again for the action setpieces, The Monster Designer and Head Animator in charge of some of the episodes is the person behind what made the latter half of Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V bearable, and I wanted to see what he could do with the Fate series given he's one hell of a fan.
Seif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
Was kind of hoping for some thoughts on the dub. Seemed pretty good from the first episode. Really liked how Mordred turned out.

Also, as good as some of the fights look, I could not get passed how stiff the characters move. They often have a lot of detail but it comes at the cost of them seemingly not animating well. The clothes and hair seem like they're cut out of plastic.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Was kind of hoping for some thoughts on the dub. Seemed pretty good from the first episode. Really liked how Mordred turned out.

I think Kim lives in Japan. So it's more than likely she was watching the show as it aired over there and then wrote a review. Netflix Japan might not get english dubs.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
B for story

You mean this show has a story? After like episode 3, it's just one long action sequence.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Quote:
B for story

You mean this show has a story? After like episode 3, it's just one long action sequence.

It does have a story. Just not a good one, as far as I'm concerned.
My issues with Apocrypha are mainly about just how pedestrian it feels. It's like this show is a otaku version of Fate, picking a lot of the conceptual and stylistic basis without really understanding what they're about. Most of the characters basically boil down to one or two simple facts and nothing else. And some of those are of the stupid kind, like Astolfo's master whose sole personalit traity is being a dom.
Also, there are at least four characters in this series which I find really, really annoying for one reason or another. And that's without entering the "Jack" territory. Really, Jack is the one thing I hate the most about Apocrypha, from her design to her backstory to her powers. I can understand why Mordred is a girl in this series and that's ok. But turning a serial killer in a edgy loli in a bathing suit is just wrong. Fate/Zero had the decency of making clear how its resident psychos were messed up people but Apocrypha treats Jack and her master like they were actually decent people. Were they not a cute loli and her mother with a huge rack, no one would think they were anything but villains. But since they are, it's all ok.
Oh, and, yes. I know what happens later in the novel and I still don't think that does anything to redeem those two.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Fate/Apocrypha is so far my second favorite Fate anime with Fate/stay night being my favorite. What I like about the Fate franchise is the action scenes and characters while I dislike the grimdark elements. From what I have seen Fate/Apocrypha could be the best action show of the year.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I’m digging a lot of the sakuga in this series. I’m hoping the blurays allow the nice animation cuts to shine. Ufotable’s stuff looks great but a lot of the post production work and digital effects tend to obscure and in some instances undercut the 2d animation. I agree with Kim that some of these individual cuts are more impressive. I’m excited to binge the dub after work tonight.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
I’m digging a lot of the sakuga in this series. I’m hoping the blurays allow the nice animation cuts to shine. Ufotable’s stuff looks great but a lot of the post production work and digital effects tend to obscure and in some instances undercut the 2d animation. I agree with Kim that some of these individual cuts are more impressive. I’m excited to binge the dub after work tonight.

The dub is good, not super outstanding but I like it.. I still can't find a complete list of the English voice cast though. Binge watched since five in the morning. I feel it was totally worth it to wait for the official English translation. Many Type-Lunatics whine about the writing and the story,. They play this thing up as being worse than Studio DEEN's adaptation, which I think is ridiculous.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:

The dub is good, not super outstanding but I like it.. I still can't find a complete list of the English voice cast though. Binge watched since five in the morning. I feel it was totally worth it to wait for the official English translation. Many Type-Lunatics whine about the writing and the story,. They play this thing up as being worse than Studio DEEN's adaptation, which I think is ridiculous.

It’s hard to imagine it being worse than Studio DEEN’s adaptation. Unlimited Blade works was no prized pig from a writing/pacing stand-point. Fate/Zero and the Garden of Sinners series were pretty good though. As long as Fate/Apocrypha remains a fun action show, I’ll enjoy it.
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
My issues with Apocrypha are mainly about just how pedestrian it feels. It's like this show is a otaku version of Fate.

The Fate franchise has always been very Otaku friendly. It started as eroge visual novel after all.

Ajc228 wrote:
As long as Fate/Apocrypha remains a fun action show, I’ll enjoy it.

Same case for me. As I've said before F/A may not be the high point of the franchise that Zero was but it knows how to have a good time and doesn't pretend to be deeper than it is unlike Unlimited Blade Works thought it was with the whole Shirou vs Archer deal. Also unlike UBW, things happen every episode. So not the best but also far from the worst is Apocrypha.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
My issues with Apocrypha are mainly about just how pedestrian it feels. It's like this show is a otaku version of Fate.

The Fate franchise has always been very Otaku friendly. It started as eroge visual novel after all.

True. But there's a gap between having a tsundere and including three genderbends (one of which is a loli), one catgirl and one trap (is this still an OK word?). No matter how otakuish Fate got, it still avoided going all out, be it on its designs or characterization. Visually speaking, Apocrypha is a very MMOish and its characters much less grounded than those of Fate. It's closer in tone to Fate Grand Order than to, say, Tsukihime or Angel Notes.
I mean, I know this may not feel like a very logical thing to say but while FSN and Zero felt like a somewhat animeish World of Darkness adventure Apocrypha is deep on the more anime end of things while pretty much doing away with all the urban aspect of its 'urban fantasy' origins.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

Ajc228 wrote:
As long as Fate/Apocrypha remains a fun action show, I’ll enjoy it.

Same case for me. As I've said before F/A may not be the high point of the franchise that Zero was but it knows how to have a good time and doesn't pretend to be deeper than it is unlike Unlimited Blade Works thought it was with the whole Shirou vs Archer deal. Also unlike UBW, things happen every episode. So not the best but also far from the worst is Apocrypha.

This show has been a mixed bag for me. When it's good it's really good, but some of the lows are really, really bad. Everything that has to do with Jack in particular I find very poorly written and almost feels like a filler story. Also as good as the animation is, it can't hold a candle to Ufotable; those guys pull some real magic.

I'm also about 50/50 on this dub. Erica Lindbeck and Patrick Seitz are awesome, but Erika Harlacher not so much; never was a fan of her lack of range. I think I heard Cam Clarke as Caster of Black, which was a real surprise. Allegra Clark is a decent actress, but hearing her play 3 separate characters seems like a really lazy way to save money, same with Erica Mendez. Also not a fan of Keith Silverstein as Caster of Red, the guy just can't get loud enough for the role; they really should have got Jamieson Price or Richard Epcar to play someone like Shakespeare.

Anyway the show is a solid B for me, not the series worst, but far from it's best. Probably wont buy it like I did Fate Zero and UBW, when it comes out on Blu Ray. Now Heaven's Feel is another story, everyone seems to love that film and I can't wait to see it a week from Saturday.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:

Fate/stay night was definitely aimed at the otaku market. I understand that most people have only seen the anime which was greatly toned down and removed most of the sexual assault elements but it is still surprising when people suggest that the game was made for the mass market. It is the recent Fate games that were made for the mass market and they are almost sugar coated compared to the original Fate/stay night game.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm caught up on the Japanese releases but it's nice Netflix finally released the first 12 episodes. Apocrypha has been a really fun ride for me (I'm a huge fan of Fate) and while it's not as good as say Fate/Zero, Stay/Night (VN), or even Prisma Illya 3rei, it's still got that Fate feel I really enjoy (Yes I'm also a hardcore fan of F/GO too so it feeling closer in tone to that doesn't bother me). Jack is perhaps my favorite servant to be introduced in Apocrypha, I just love her combat style and the contrast between being a cute loli and a deadly serial killer. She's my favorite assassin class servant in Grand Order so it was great to finally see her full story from Apocrypha animated. Also really enjoy Astolfo and Mordred as characters since they tend to steal most scenes they're in and are just fun to watch.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
F/A is just mindless fun animated well with loud sound effects. It's pretty consistent throughout its run: never really stops having showdowns, never really stops having some really dodgy writing. It did manage to have my favorite episode of last season though, with spoiler[Caster of Red using his NP on Berserker of Black]. I'm 50/50 on the characters, not liking the most popular ones but digging some of the more basic types. As trashy as I know a half-naked loli is (especially when the show makes sure to get shots with her butt on the foreground), I can't say it doesn't work.

On an unrelated note, Kim, you gotta give Fate back to Gab. I wanna know if thinking Archer of Black is daddy material is the right opinion or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2