• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - How Anime-Gataris Does Reference Humor Right

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wooga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
If I had to guess, the coming apocalypse would be them realizing they are in an anime , and its the last episode.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed Anime-Gataris more than I expected. It has been good at balancing humor, anime/manga references, fanservice and some light drama. I have never heard of the studio animating this show, but it has pleasant visuals and solid animation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
In some ways, the thinly veiled titles for anime they from the show is a little distracting since I'm constantly thinking, "I get that one!" I think the fun for me has been the portrayal of otaku debates. Honestly, I found myself getting worked up during the spat about source materials vs. the anime, since I'm also a firm believer that the adaptation needs to be able to stand on its own.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
This show simply has so much heart to it that it makes me feel happy to be an anime fan. It’s not going to light the world on fire, but I’m having a lot of fun with it. Way more than I thought I’d be before I started watching it. The staff has done a splendid job with the meta aspects of this show and I hope that they can keep it up. I also hope that they can get more anime to work on in the future as well. Very Happy
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Finally Anime-Gataris getting some love. It's the type of show that gets me excited about being an anime fan. It just has this certain love for the genre that I don't think I've seen so aptly portrayed. It's almost as if they took Gamers! love for games and spun it into anime instead and cranked it up to fanboy levels. Definitely one of the highlights of the season for me.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
If I had to guess, the coming apocalypse would be them realizing they are in an anime , and its the last episode.

My guess is that you are correct (altho maybe they figure it out in the second to last episode). It's worth noting that in Episode 1 Minoa is "hypnotized" by the beret which then flies away and is recovered by a random man on a bench. On the left, is the guy on the bench picking up the beret; on the right, is the landing image from the director's homepage:

(Also, the cat was super freaked out about the beret disappearing, I'm guessing it reminds the director about his role, or otherwise gives him control of the show)
BluePikmin11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:

I never thought about this, and doing a 4th wall break would be great to see.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Dunno about Hey Bot but this is a parallel world where they have a space elevator. So who knows how that'll factor in.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
I like that a lot of the references aren't just the most popular shows. They hit those too, and I suppose they are able to get some of the more obscure stuff because they pack so many references into each episode, but it's not all that often that I see a lot of these random otaku shows. The kinds of things that most casual fans probably haven't actually ever heard of, but anyone watching anime seasonally for a couple of years almost definitely has.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I like that they have mentioned shows that are not exactly big on the main stream. Like, how well known are shows like Time Travel Girl and Ange Vierge? When really I consider them two hidden gems.

Maybe also worth mentioning are stealth homages? Like when they dress up as bunny girls to try and get support for the club, which might just seem for its own sake, but one well versed will recognise it as a homage to The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, without directly say it is as such, music cues even seemed in reference to that series. Also found out that the butler during the changing was doing a little dance shuffle like Miyuki from Lucky Star. The speech in another episode was a reference to the one from Maoyu, which the show made reference to a little earlier. And more obvious, but the recent episode references of Girls und Panzer included some music similar to the military themes that show also incorporated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1