• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Licenses Mazinger Z: Infinity Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Mazinger Z infinty comes to R1!!!!!!!

Mechagasm!

Mazin Go!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear someone picked this up. I'd love if we got a dubbed theatrical release but I'm not going to hold my breath.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sweet nice to see Viz Media license this film.

Though I'm curious to see which Recording Studio Viz Media will send it to (e.g. Studiopolis, Bang Zoom, NYAV Post, etc...)?
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Great news ! Now i don't know if this is going to be 1 movie or it will followed by sequels/spin-offs but i hope to see more of Mazin GO Smile
Adrian Robotnik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Trust me guys, this is a pretty good movie: not a masterpiece but still very good. The only thing I didn't like too much is that they could have added some scenes here and there, and more battles between the mecha. But if you're a fan of Mazinger Z you can't really miss this movie!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Sume Gai wrote:
Glad to hear someone picked this up. I'd love if we got a dubbed theatrical release but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Yeah. Some people might not want to read a movie screen. Eng. dubs help those with sight issues.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope this does well to make Mazinger more well known in the US. I hated how no one wanted to dub Shin Mazinger back in 2009-2010 because I feel like that show could make Mazinger more well. It bugs me how Mazinger and Getter Robo get left out in the dust in the US compare to Gundam. Sure they are older series, but there are modern shows in the series like Shin Mazinger and New Getter Robo.

I feel like those work well with a modern audience.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
So this will be the 5th animated Mazinger property to get an English dub after:

The late 70s(?) - early 80s (incomplete) Toei dub of the TV series,
the Tranzor Z hackjob,
ADV's Mazinkaiser OVA dub,
and Media Blasters' dub of Mazinkaiser SKL.

I was expecting Netflix to swoop this up eventually, given their keen eye for supporting modern reinventions of anime/manga classics, but sure, Viz is fine, too! Guess they really are done playing it safe with things like Osomatsu-san, Infini-T Force, and this.

Spawn29 wrote:
I hope this does well to make Mazinger more well known in the US. I hated how no one wanted to dub Shin Mazinger back in 2009-2010 because I feel like that show could make Mazinger more well. It bugs me how Mazinger and Getter Robo get left out in the dust in the US compare to Gundam. Sure they are older series, but there are modern shows in the series like Shin Mazinger and New Getter Robo.

I feel like those work well with a modern audience.

Infinity is honestly somewhat of a hard sell due to it specifically being a sequel to the original Toei Mazinger Z TV series, but same here. Or least that it does well enough for Viz to consider more Mazinger in the future, Seven Seas to complete their turn into full madmen and license the original Mazinger and Getter manga, or for someone like Discotek to re-release the aforementioned New Getter, etc.

The Mazinkaiser OVA also works well for newcomers, and the dub even goes out of it's way at some points for that purpose ("I am Boss Borot, friend of Mazinger Z!").
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
I was expecting Netflix to swoop this up eventually, given their keen eye for supporting modern reinventions of anime/manga classics, but sure, Viz is fine, too! Guess they really are done playing it safe with things like Osomatsu-san, Infini-T Force, and this.

With Toei being in control and the movie being new, I was expecting Shout Factory to release it like they have been doing with Digimon Adventure Tri. Viz is a surprise but also good because, in addition to having another Go Nagai property dubbed for next year, we should have some competent subs on the eventual discs instead of whatever sloppy work Toei's translators would have done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1