• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - MMOtivation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Personally I would be cool with a by weekly podcast schedule. I don't mean to sound like a dick Zac, but I rather see you commit to keeping up with at least 5 anime shows per season instead of delivering a podcast every week. I don't always I agree with you, but your opinion in current shows is something I appreciate.

And I am surprised people think Titania's boobs move in a natural way; they moved like Jell-O to me. If the objective was to show saggy boobs, the gelatin effect works. If that was not the intent, those boobs physics are weird.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else miss the good old ANNCast days where Justin and Bamboo were regulars and "Heat Guy J" was the running gag?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
To Jacob: about Magus Bride, like Zac said it's coming, don't worry. To me, the manga just keeps getting better.

To Zac: I've been listening to this podcast since it began. But over time I have forgotten something imporant about it. How DID the Heat Guy J joke get started? On a more serious note, I know it's really hard to do but I would absolutely love it if you and Jacob would do some sort of end of the year special like you used to do with Justin. About the 2000-2010 anime. That would be awesome. You could call it the Double-J'z.

I'll just let myself out now...
Thread_Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
To Jacob: about Magus Bride, like Zac said it's coming, don't worry. To me, the manga just keeps getting better.

To Zac: I've been listening to this podcast since it began. But over time I have forgotten something imporant about it. How DID the Heat Guy J joke get started? On a more serious note, I know it's really hard to do but I would absolutely love it if you and Jacob would do some sort of end of the year special like you used to do with Justin. About the 2000-2010 anime. That would be awesome. You could call it the Double-J'z.

I'll just let myself out now...

OH OH!!! If Jacob and Justin ever did a show they could call it "J J Time!"

..... I shall also show myself out.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
@DmonHiro: I don't remember which episode the gag started, but it was in the 1 of the earliest ANNCast episodes (8/2009 is when ANNCast started). The 12/3/2009 ANNCast episode "The Life and Kime of Geneon, USA" does some explaining on the rip: when Geneon USA was still in business here, they spent about the same level of money that Funi did for the 1st FMA series. Geneon USA was hoping HGJ would sell well, but it didn't. As such, it became a regular running gag for about the 1st 4 months of ANNCast.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Jesus Jacob, I feel like you are literally me a lot of the time. I like to think that I'm mature enough to the point that I don't listen to podcasts simply to have my opinions validated perfectly, but it is kind of nice when you express exactly what I'm thinking and saying most of the time. lol (specifically referring to the MMO Junkie convo)

Also, this is my favorite podcast out there, and I listen to a lot of podcasts, so having them weekly again would make me incredibly happy. You guys were adorable at the end of this one too. Thanks. Laughing
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
Really cracked up over the "Diet Yagami" line!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Recovery of an MMO Junkie: I'm with Jake that the reveal of Sakurai and Moriko being partners in a previous MMO was a coincidence too far. But where the show has let me down is in not picking up the ball on some interesting stuff it was doing with gender. The first episode made me think this could be in the same camp as Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, which mixed up stereotypical male and female behaviors for comic effect. A core idea of MMO is that Moriko has chosen to be a male character in Fruits de Mer (and we find that Lily is the opposite: a female character for a male player). Why? Is she playing a guy for the eye candy, or the freedom from harassment (at one point, we learn that Lily's cuteness drew a lot of unwanted attention), or something else? Is it because the world is unfair to women, like how what drove her out of her job was filling in for a ne'er-do-well male superior? Or the way that she goes along with these dates she doesn't want to go on (and freaks out about her lack of makeup, nice clothes, etc. when she encounters Yuta IRL)? And why is nice guy Yuta playing a girl? Is there something behind the fact that Koiwai shortens Yuta's surname "Sakurai" to the girly "Sakura"?

It seems like the show has been setting up to work with gender here, but it just doesn't seem to want to actually do anything interesting with it.

Live action anime adaptations: Kind of surprised you didn't recall the Attack on Titan movies. You guys were pretty big on those when they came out. Anyways, you kind of covered this on an earlier ANNCast, IIRC, talking about the ludicrous thought of a One Piece live action movie.

It's understandable that we focus on the biggest anime franchises, many of which have fantastic premises or visuals that would be difficult to do in live-action. But we're kind of overlooking all the drama and comedy anime that could be (and, in Japan, frequently is) adapted as live-action. I keep seeing these when I fly on Delta: the seat-back video has adaptations of manga like Orange and Strobe Edge. Or for a really interesting case, look at all the international adaptations of Boys Over Flowers (a lot of shojo seems to get live-action adaptations, I guess?). But since so little of that stuff is readily available in English via streaming or physical, we kind of overlook that it's a thing. Maybe we can get Jonathan Clements to update The Dorama Encyclopedia someday.

Some of these dramas are pretty good, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that some of them could be Westernized pretty effectively… for example, I can imagine Toradora being remade here as a modern-day John Hughes-style teen romance a la Pretty In Pink or Some Kind of Wonderful.

If we did get something like, say, a Disney Channel K-On! or an Oprah Network Clannad, maybe it wouldn't be flashy or everyone's cup of tea, but it'd probably be better than Dragonball Evolution.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
What I like about "MMO Junkie" is that Terri Doty plays a main role in the simuldub. The only other series she played the main character in on a regular basis was in "Laughing Under the Clouds". That is, she has done the voice of some other main characters but she was the kid voice but such flashbacks are often sporadic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1