• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
Ahhh that lovely MHA domination. So happy to see it doing so well. Horikoshi more then deserve his success. I have been following him ever since Crazy Zoo. He's a fantastic author and artist. His work reflects his passion and as a result MHA is one of the greats.
Monkey D luffY 4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
One piece destroying them all just a another year in life of Oda
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:54 am Reply with quote
Nice to see One Punch Man on the list. Started as a humble net comic, now it's ranking with the big boys with another anime season in the works!
Encore22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
I think it's worth pointing out that Kingdom is the only series on the list which does not have a real anime (it does not count and it got popular way after that shit ended), yet it still performs with the big boys.

If it got a good adaptation, it would take the anime world by storm, could see it outselling One Piece.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:28 am Reply with quote
One Piece continues to dominate 10 years running, at least. I am also happy to see my two other favorite currently running mangas with My Boku No Hero Academia and Kingdom. I love both these series and am so happy they are getting love in Japan. Now if somebody would freaking officially release the volumes of Kingdom in the U.S. I would gladly give you my money for them. VIZ, Tokyopop, anyone don't any of you want my money so hurry up and get the license to publish Kingdom in the states.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
Oda you're doing mircales wtih One Piece, congrats on another year of top selling manga!

MHA doing VERY well as well...no sign of Black Clover Wink
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
We only getting the top 10 this year? Was top 30 previously.

FWIW that's a decline of 7934410 units on last year, or 15%. That's in keeping with the general trend. Interestingly, that decline can be attributed almost entirely to the end of Assassination Classroom, which sold 6887192 units last year, & the decline in sales of One Piece, which shifted a million more units last year. This has been affecting manga sales figures for a while now, due to OPs outsized popularity. Magi was the only title that wasn't in the top 10 last year (was 20th). Shuisha published 7 of the top 10 this year, down one from last year. Remains to be seen if Black Clover will be the hot new title Shuisha seem to want it to be to fill that AssClass gap.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
Sigh kinda boring honestly: one piece at number 1 not suprising, aot at number 2 not surprising, kingdom at number 3 going strong as ever great to see, my hero at number 4 the anime just dropped so it makes sense,Tokyo ghoul at number 5 kinda suprised it beat out by my hero but not really,haikyuu and seven deadly seems about right, one punch latet volume just dropped on the 4 so I feel like it would have had the 7th spot but much ado about nothing,food wars cool and since magi ended this year its numbers make sine. I hope 2018 black clover becomes like a dark horse of the top 10, mainly cause i wanna see how it does compare to my hero lol

GoldCrusader wrote:
Ahhh that lovely MHA domination. So happy to see it doing so well. Horikoshi more then deserves his success. I have been following him ever since Crazy Zoo. He's a fantastic author and artist. His work reflects his passion and as a result MHA is one of the greats.

Wouldnt call it DOMINATION considering 1: its numbers are shit compared to one piece,2: the anime just recently aired so the spike makes perfect sense and 3:aot and kingdom sold more and considering kindgom doesn't have an anime speaks volumes but its good to see he's found success with this(don't read it anymore myself but yeah)

Encore22 wrote:
I think it's worth pointing out that Kingdom is the only series on the list which does not have a real anime (it does not count and it got popular way after that shit ended), yet it still performs with the big boys.

If it got a good adaptation, it would take the anime world by storm, could see it outselling One Piece.

Yea pretty much this.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:51 am Reply with quote
Encore22 wrote:

That's because Kingdom got featured on a really popular talk show. It went from selling 350k per volume around volume 37sh to 800k. That talk show would be better exposure than any anime adaption because it got a bunch of people who aren't normally into that kind of stuff to give it a try. Imagine if Oprah talked about Saga(it's a American comic) for a whole episode, it would start selling like hotcakes.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
Damn Looking at last years list animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-30/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-series-2016/.109352

And the amount of series that have ended in that time 7 out of 30

Assassination Classroom
Fairy Tail
Bleach
Nisekoi
Magi
Kimi ni Todoke
Erased
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
MHA increase over last year could have been much stronger (was only a 700k increase) so it doesnt seem as if the anime did more than just help it maintain sales.

Meanwhile Food Wars decreased compared to last year even eith a 2nd and 3rd season, guess the craze is over.

If selling 2mln is all thats needed to chart, then it appears the inability to track digital sales is making these charts abit worthless as it is unlikely manga is becoming less and less popular.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
Hmm a lot of Shounen. Of course I know Shounen is always popular but I feel Japan’s lists are usually more diverse than this.

Oh well!
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Encore22 wrote:

Well it's been almost five years since the last Kingdom series. Perhaps that's long enough for someone to consider doing a reboot anime, or at least a new season.

Speaking of which, what's holding up the third season of Magi?
Hershey's

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Yep the obligatory hater comments always on time
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:

Wouldnt call it DOMINATION considering 1: its numbers are shit compared to one piece,

Every manga's sales are shit compared to One Piece. What a useless thing to bring up.

Quote:
2: the anime just recently aired so the spike makes perfect sense

Very rarely does an anime airings spike sales especially for a second season by that logic AoT S2's airing would have increased backlog sales but it didn't

Quote:
and 3:aot and kingdom sold more and considering kindgom doesn't have an anime speaks volumes but its good to see he's found success with this(don't read it anymore myself but yeah)

Kingdom was on AmeTalk which is arguably more lucrative than its two seasons of its anime were
Hershey's

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
MHA increase over last year could have been much stronger (was only a 700k increase) so it doesnt seem as if the anime did more than just help it maintain sales.

Getting another boost at all is impressive in itself since that rarily happens
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2