• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Special Ops Asuka GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
I've never heard of this but it sounds interesting and I never got on board the "dark magical girl" train. I'll give it a shot. Wink
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
The dark magical girl trope is certainly one that is starting to wear its welcome, but this sounds like a very intriguing spin on it. I'm going to pick this one up and give it a shot. Thanks for the review!
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
If Mia Cyrus does not use a wrecking ball as a weapon at some point, I will be sorely disappointed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
NonsenseUser wrote:
The dark magical girl trope is certainly one that is starting to wear its welcome, but this sounds like a very intriguing spin on it. I'm going to pick this one up and give it a shot. Thanks for the review!

On the other hand, I've yet to see a Watchmen-esque take on the genre, namely a story that shows how magical girls would change the course of history, though this is getting closer in that it sounds like it's how various governments would handle their presence and abilities. (Have we had a magical girl counterpart to Dollar Bill yet, the one who's in it for the money and is paid by a big corporation for publicity and PR? We got a giant robot series that covered that, I know that much.)

Better yet, a take like Kingdom Come or Irredeemable, in which the story is more about how magical girls have changed the course of society and culture. (Maybe a magical girl counterpart to The Plutonian, who could hear everybody and spoiler[got extremely fed up with how, no matter how good of a job he did saving people, there'd always be some people who would complain, criticize, or refuse to believe his actions].)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
Sounds vaguely like the militarized magic of Saga of Tanya the Evil mixed with the PTSD of Yuki Yuna is a Hero. I could go for that.
Artesox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Sounds vaguely like the militarized magic of Saga of Tanya the Evil mixed with the PTSD of Yuki Yuna is a Hero. I could go for that.

In that sense, YuYuYu already has its own militarized magical girl spin-off.

Xavon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Magical Girls, big guns, PTSD... sounds like a more focused version of Ganma.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1