• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime-Opted & LGBT Stories Top Barnes & Noble's Best New Manga 2017 List

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Sad it doesn't seem like My Brother's Husband made the list... Great work, too.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Land of the Lustrous, Dreamin' Sun, and Golden Kamuy made the list so that is three out of my top five of the year made the list. Pity To Your Eternity by Yoshitoki Ooima was not included.
JohnHawk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Why is Houseki the image for this article on the main page they're basically genderless rock people not LGBT
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
There's a good argument as to why Land of the Lustrous falls under the LGBT umbrella that I can't personally make since I'm not familiar with it in particular, but it is an anime-opted title too (which is also in the headline).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:
Why is Houseki the image for this article on the main page they're basically genderless rock people not LGBT

The answer is in your own post.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
JohnHawk wrote:

The article says the selected titles fall into either manga with recent/upcoming anime adaptations, so "Land of the Lustrous" fits the bill there, or series with a LGBT theme.

Also, since they're genderless, I assume that they don't have sex or have any sexual desire, or in other words are asexual, and asexuality is a sexual minority, so it would fit under the LGBTQIA+ umbrella.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I’d be surprised if we get through 2018 without an anime for Bloom Into You being announced. It seems to be doing well in Dengeki Daioh, often getting cover blurbs or even the full cover, and that magazine gets a lot of its manga made into anime (Toradora, The Irregular at Magic High School, Strike the Blood, next seasons’s Mitsuboshi Colors, etc.). Could just be a matter of having enough material to adapt for one cour (they’ve got like 4 or 5 volumes out now).
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the person questioning why Land Of The Lustrous is on this list. They're sexless. Not genderless. And if you mean theyre genderless in another form, meaning they lack physical sex characteristics, it can be justified because they're rocks and don't have a need to reproduce. They weren't created to represent lgbt people and not having a concept of gender ( WHICH WAS NEVER CONFIRMED ) doesn't translate to not identifying as anything by choice. There's a big difference considering that if it were true that they don't have a concept of gender, then they wouldn't be able to know that they could be " genderless " therefore could not identify as that. Also, they use he/him pronouns and see themselves as brothers, so that implies they do have some knowledge of gender as they know to use male gendered terms with each other and exclusively those things.

Also the asexual argument doesn't really work either because they're not confirmed to be asexual. Diamond has a concept of romance when he shouldn't because in essence romancing someone is a way to get them to reproduce with another person. The gems could instinctively have a concept of sexuality since they instinctively know and feels things humans would have. If the gems were added because they appear to be androgynous, then I guess. But I didn't know androgynous people fall on the Lgbt+ spectrum.

Its interesting how people will interpret things likely based on the translation that changed their pronoun usage to something inaccurate.

Edit: my point above still stands but I'm re-reading the article and it doesn't look like Land Of The Lustrous was added to the list because it represents lgbt people, especially combined with the others nominees like Erased and Kakegurui. Your addition of HNK as the icon was misleading making this article seem clickbaity as it lead a few of your commenters to assume HNK was nominated for something it shouldn't logically have been nominated for. I should have figured since HNK doesn't have lgbt themes. You should have used a different icon since your header doesn't match up with what you were saying.
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
JohnHawk wrote:

The gems aren't genderless. They're sexless. And if you mean they're genderless as in they lack physical traits and characteristics attributed to either sex, which is the same / similar to being sexless, then they aren't the same genderless as people who don't identify as a gender. At best they're androgynous which I believe doesn't fall on the lgbt spectrum.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
all of which have anime adaptations that aired or are in the works.

You really should fix that, because as far as I’m aware Vampire Knight: Memories does not have a anime. Only Vampire Knight.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
CardamonPastel wrote:
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
JohnHawk wrote:

The gems aren't genderless. They're sexless. And if you mean they're genderless as in they lack physical traits and characteristics attributed to either sex, which is the same / similar to being sexless, then they aren't the same genderless as people who don't identify as a gender. At best they're androgynous which I believe doesn't fall on the lgbt spectrum.

Yeah, about that.... I looked it up on Mangaupdates and it clearly has genderless as a category. Confused
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
CardamonPastel wrote:

They're also fictional characters.

I don't really know the in-universe details of the show in question, but reading things in an lgbt context is a lot more than a character up and saying "hi im queer". (And you're especially never gonna get that in anime.)

Btw, having a different sex other than male or female is a thing too. I don't personally know if any of them could be described as "sexless" in the way fiction treats it, but it's not a wholly divorced concept from real people. Nothing made by people is.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
[Are they gonna keep adding more letters to that shit? Confused

Even back when I was in college in the early 2000s, the LGBT community was already calling themselves "Endless Acronym".
shizukanashinah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
[Are they gonna keep adding more letters to that shit? Confused

Even back when I was in college in the early 2000s, the LGBT community was already calling themselves "Endless Acronym".

My personal favorite LGBT acronym is "QUILTBAG". Mostly because it's silly and twee, but also because it is near-comprehensive and has a concrete end to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2