• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 More Weird Anthro Projects

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
As a physicist, I never thought I'd hear of something like Particle Boys outside of a department student lounge! Unfortunately, linear colliders are intentionally violent as "hell" so realism would demand maybe a fighting competition format and not really BL. Still, Positron and Electron being a tsundere couple (if only for a few picoseconds) tickles my imagination, Neutron is a depressive target (uke) for the perky high-energy Proton (seme) although the Top and Bottom Quarks might also fit those roles, gluon is the cute and adorable matchmaker of the group ala Honey-sempai, etc,etc..
nogara119

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Not gonna lie. Painter Boys intrigues me.

You forgot Bungou to Alchemist, which is bishie versions of Japanese authors.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Does this indicate that they finally made an anime version of Particle Man?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I must admit, the poll results were pretty disappointing, people mostly picking the ships they recognize. Well, maybe a lot of people really WOULD prefer the Thousand Sunny over any of the other ones, but that lineup is basically the list of ships that are seen a lot or made attention-grabbing impressions, and it does point strongly toward "I recognize that name, so I'll vote for it." (A real problem with elections too.)

Zin5ki wrote:
Does this indicate that they finally made an anime version of Particle Man?

Dangit, you beat me to that! (It'd also combine geometric personification and cosmological personification at the same time too!)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
In the new poll I only voted for 3 things (Violet Evergarden, Sakura and Citrus) because there is not much from Winter 2018 grabbing me.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
^ Three is the most you can select anyway
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Violet Evergarden, Devilman Crybaby, and Killing Bites, because those are the three things I know I'll wind up watching first (especially since Devilman Crybaby is dropping all at once on Netflix on January 5th). I'm also interested in Citrus, DARLING in the FRANXX, the Junji Ito series, and Pop Team Epic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Idiom Girl I said that Hiragana Boys was esoteric but Idiom Girls might be the winner in that category. See, Japan loves wordplay. You find it all the time in anime character names, like Sailor Moon for example. Idiom Girl is in the same vein, attaching character designs to Japanese equivalents of "no use crying over spilled milk" or "the early bird catches the worm" and making it into a mobile game. The result is kind of profound, or at least really strange. It's not the first to latch onto this idea, either. Kill Doya is a Japanese browser game also centered around kanji, but in that case it's trendy lingo associated with self-important people, which seems highly specific to base a whole game around.

Like Kemono Friends started out as an objectification mobile game to teach about animals, the "proverb" and "hiragana"-people also started out as educational mobile games to build character identification.
From all the jokes about Minako trying (and failing) to learn her proverbs on "Sailor Moon" ("No use milking an early bird!"), I'm guessing Japanese education focuses particular attention on learning the cultural value of the Japanese language, and learning standard cultural idioms, kanji or not, is one more sixth-grade or junior-high bit of study to bone up on.

Now, as to the "Rice-grain boys" on the previous list, I'm still trying to figure out that one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I'm still not sure anything has yet beat the weirdness of raising your own soap scum to be your boyfriend. Smile

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I must admit, the poll results were pretty disappointing, people mostly picking the ships they recognize.

oO Why would anyone pick a ship they didn't recognize? I suppose there might be someone so invested in the poll that they would research all the listed ships in order to make their best, most informed choice, but for an anonymous poll with no reward or consequence whatsoever, I'd expect no one would do that.

Most of what I'm looking forward to are sequels and continuations (Saiki K., Overlord, Touken Ranbu), mostly because I won't really know about the rest until they start airing. Evergarden is the standout of the unknowns though, since, well, it's KyoAni, so it's not really all that unknown.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Definitely looking forward to Overlord II, Devilman Crybaby, and Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card.
48 Rices

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I must admit, the poll results were pretty disappointing, people mostly picking the ships they recognize. Well, maybe a lot of people really WOULD prefer the Thousand Sunny over any of the other ones, but that lineup is basically the list of ships that are seen a lot or made attention-grabbing impressions, and it does point strongly toward "I recognize that name, so I'll vote for it." (A real problem with elections too.)

Well, that's bound to happen... but still, I wonder where are the other big ships, like Queen Mama Chanter (Big Mom/Charlotte Linlin's)...

For my part, I picked Oro Jackson because, well... it's the ship of Roger's fleet, made by the legendary shipbuilder Tom and currently the only one made it to the end of Grand Line!

Last edited by 48 Rices on Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
oO Why would anyone pick a ship they didn't recognize? I suppose there might be someone so invested in the poll that they would research all the listed ships in order to make their best, most informed choice, but for an anonymous poll with no reward or consequence whatsoever, I'd expect no one would do that.

I actually looked up the name of Trafalgar Law's submarine for this poll (it's the Polar Tang and it was on the list). I guess that makes me weird.

48 Rices wrote:

Well, that's bound to happen...

For my part, I picked Oro Jackson because, well... it's the ship of Roger's fleet, made by the legendary shipbuilder Tom and currently the only one made it to the end of Grand Line!

That's perfectly fine. The Oro Jackson was one of the legendary ships, after all, and those are very good reasons to pick it. (Me, I chose the Polar Tang because it can go underwater without having to get it coated, and it's highly maneuverable and difficult to detect.)
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Notwithstanding Zin5ki finding that "Particle Man" bit from "Tiny Toons",the whole anthro thing can come across as being pretty weird. Giving human characteristics to animals is one thing,but stuff like eye drops? For me,it's a little bizarre. I can see it's uses but still...it can get pretty strange for those who aren't used to it. For those like me who aren't in to it,well...there's no getting around it. It can seem pretty weird. We can't help it. It's the way we feel. Confused

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I actually looked up the name of Trafalgar Law's submarine for this poll (it's the Polar Tang and it was on the list). I guess that makes me weird.

In other words, you picked a ship you recognized (Trafalgar Law's submarine) but just had to look up its name. You didn't look up the name Polar Tang (or any others you didn't recognize) to see if it had designs or traits you'd prefer over ships you already knew about. So no, not weird. Smile
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Cells at Work is a manga that anthropomorphizes cells in the human body as well as micro- organisms, viruses, etc. I just read volume 2 and am completely freaked out at the idea of cancer cells having human emotion. Sometimes its better not to ascribe human characteristics to things! Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2