• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Walking My Second Path in Life Novel 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoAnkara

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
And here I am still waiting for Rokujouma review.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
This sounds right up my alley! Especially when you mentioned Tatterhood. Anything inspired by Nordic fairy tales are sure to make me perk my ears up, which my avatar should make pretty obvious...lol. Reverse harems are also a guilty pleasure of mine, so that aspect doesn't worry me too much, provided that element doesn't all of a sudden turn her into a damsel in distress, which seems unlikely.

Thanks, Rebecca! I always appreciate your insight into history/culture/folklore for these kinds of stories very much.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
Nice review! You've convinced me to check it out, especially since I have some spare credits for J-Novel club. I assumed this was just another generic isekai story based on the title but I'm glad to see it's not quite that (not that I have anything against isekai, but they can get tiresome).
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
NonsenseUser wrote:
Nice review! You've convinced me to check it out, especially since I have some spare credits for J-Novel club. I assumed this was just another generic isekai story based on the title but I'm glad to see it's not quite that (not that I have anything against isekai, but they can get tiresome).

It's not isekai! It's not even tensei!
Heck there isn't even any magic Wink Just good olde pseudo european kingdom setting.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Sold! I only needed about halfway through the review to make my mind up, but this is exactly my kind of jam (and the nostalgic nod to Tamora Pierce didn't hurt. Wink ) Strangely, I also almost skipped over reading the review because the title made me think it was yet another isekai story. Very relieved to hear it's just a good ol' fantasy setting. Anime hyper
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
NonsenseUser wrote:

It's not isekai! It's not even tensei!
Heck there isn't even any magic Wink Just good olde pseudo european kingdom setting.

I like to think I'm usually better about making snap judgements like that too, but I guess it still happens occasionally. Embarassed Either way, I've purchased and added it to my queue!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:12 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

If you want to be technical, there is a very small amount of magic in their world (in fact, it’s rumored Fie’s sister Fielle can do a bit of magic), but it’s not at all explained as to how it works and who can use it, so it almost never affects the story.

Anyways, I would recommend this LN to anyone (only $7 on Amazon), as it’s a very interesting mix between a shoujo and shounen. I find it super adorable, and anyone would love it. It might get a bit shounen-y in the second volume (which comes out the end of this month) with a certain spoiler[tournament arc], but it’s just as good as the first. My only problem is that the author has inexplicably stopped writing, as a third volume has not yet been released in Japan yet. The publishers have assured Sam at J-Novel that it is in the works, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:38 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like fun, unfortunately it is digital only. I'll have to give it a pass. Too many good physical books to read.
manapear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
That cover art alone is super charming. ♥ And I love the author's name, that's cute.

Good review, I'm interested.

LegitPancake wrote:
samuelp wrote:

If you want to be technical, there is a very small amount of magic in their world (in fact, it’s rumored Fie’s sister Fielle can do a bit of magic), but it’s not at all explained as to how it works and who can use it, so it almost never affects the story.

Anyways, I would recommend this LN to anyone (only $7 on Amazon), as it’s a very interesting mix between a shoujo and shounen. I find it super adorable, and anyone would love it. It might get a bit shounen-y in the second volume (which comes out the end of this month) with a certain spoiler[tournament arc], but it’s just as good as the first. My only problem is that the author has inexplicably stopped writing, as a third volume has not yet been released in Japan yet. The publishers have assured Sam at J-Novel that it is in the works, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

How odd. I can't find any kind of update about the novel, either, just doing a little hunting.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:45 pm Reply with quote
NonsenseUser wrote:
I like to think I'm usually better about making snap judgements like that too, but I guess it still happens occasionally. Embarassed

I don't blame you. Especially in the isekai-saturated environment of Shousetsuka ni Narou, it's a title that seems like it should be a reincarnation fantasy, even if it isn't. I imagine half the Japanese readerbase made the same mistake at first.

LegitPancake wrote:
My only problem is that the author has inexplicably stopped writing, as a third volume has not yet been released in Japan yet.

Interesting. The original Narou page has the last chapter posted in July, but there's nearly 200 of them, since it started in November 2015. No Book 1, Book 2, etc. divisions like Log Horizon's page has, so I don't know how much has been "officially" published, but the info page lists the length at 480,472 characters, which I think is about 240,000 words. Log Horizon is about 13 and a half volumes in and 2,047,996 characters; if that's a typical light novel length, we're talking around 150,000 characters/75,000 words apiece. Mushoku Tensei is 23 volumes and 2,835,125 characters, which is closer to 120,000 characters per volume.

So there should be enough material on the site for a third volume, and maybe a fourth.

(*tries to get a third data point by comparing data for Mahouka before its removal at the end of 2011* Wait, when did Narou start blocking series and info pages from the Wayback Machine?! Goddammit.)
zztop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

My only problem is that the author has inexplicably stopped writing, as a third volume has not yet been released in Japan yet. The publishers have assured Sam at J-Novel that it is in the works, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

The source webnovel for 2nd Life was last updated on Sept 18, 2017, with nothing further after that.
http://ncode.syosetu.com/n7590cy/

However, it could mean the author has chosen to forego the WN version in favour of making 2nd Life a full-time light novel series. I heard of one LN title, Maken no Daydreamer, that started as a WN but whose author eventually left it to commit to the LN version.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
Something new for me to check out! Hope J-Novel club brings more LN's aimed at females. Goodness knows we need more!
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
This is a fun read. It has some genuinely good laughs and great action. (I really like the ninja knight character that just hangs around on top of trees.) It can feel meandering at some times though. The artwork also feels simple and a bit old school, but not in a bad way.

Apart from how surprisingly it's not isekai, it's also surprisingly not as reverse harem-y as I thought it would be, which might be a bit disappointing for some people. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1