• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is A Place Further Than the Universe Worth Exploring?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love the bit where Mari calls Shirase out on being a jerk, and Shirase just retorts with a smile and "yeah, so what?"
I really loved that bit too. Too bad the pun got lost in translation...

But yeah, this is probably my favourite currently airing show. For a show with a premise this outlandish its characters are remarkably believable, and it's just so good at selling that sense of adventure, teenage restlessness and all sorts of petty feelings. Hanayamata is the only other show by Ishizuka I've watched, but I'm definitely hoping she gets to do more original stuff. That combination of loud emotions and mundane settings is something I'd like to see more of.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Came for the penguins, stayed for the friends being adorable dorks with each other. And the amazing reaction faces.

It's actually been a life ambition for me to visit Antarctica ever since I was a little kid, and of course I haven't been able to make it happen yet. Shirase has a much better reason to want to go there than I ever did (though it's debatable whether there IS a better reason to do something than penguins), but I totally relate to Mari's adoration of this unstoppable girl who makes her dreams happen and rubs it in the face of everyone who ever told her it was impossible.

Man, I really like this show.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Best show of the season, by far. Will probably make lots of people's Best of the Year lists, too. This series is SoL perfection.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
This has been a nice comfy show so far. One of my favorite shows this season along with Yuru Camp, Toji no Miko, Pop Team Epic, and Citrus. A group of girls traveling to Antarctica sounds like a great adventure. The art style is wonderful and easy on the eyes too.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
It's a great show and one I look forward to eagerly every week. In fact, I can't wait to get home tonight to watch the latest eppie.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
This show is such a treat with such an out-there premise and damn good cast of girls who definitely feels real. Their interactions with each other makes me more excited of their adventure in Antarctica. This is great female character writing which some peeps should check out.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I’ll be echoing what’s essentially already been said if that’s fine. Very enjoyable show so far with fun characters and solid drama. I’ve been looking forward to this series since its’ announcement because it sounded interesting, and I’m glad that’s doing a good job of presenting itself. Hopefully, with this article, more people will decide to give it a chance as it’s definitely one to keep tabs on this season.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This show came out of left field for me. It wasn’t on my radar at all, but all the good word of mouth convinced me to check it out, and it’s now one of my favorite shows this season. I love it when a show takes me by surprise like that.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Definitely my AOTS so far. My first show with this director but i know they series composer/scriptwriter from Love Live, Hibike Euphonium and Love, Chunnibiyou & other Delusions which are all series i would gladly recommend. I'm glad these two got to do an original anime and hope to see more from them in the future
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm Reply with quote
i can't really express how much i love this show It's funny,engaging,thoughtful,and also the reason why Tuesday is bearable in my case.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Also my current favourite of the season though any series with a sense of travel and adventure are right up my alley (also loving Yuru Camp). If I was being picky, I do want to them to explore the dangers of Antartica as well. The show is obviously based on a certain level of disbelief (I could never get further than Europe to explore when I was their age), but I want to see blizzards and the risks of hypothermia explored (as the series is very true to life so far getting an easy time in an inhospitable environment would not sit right). This may be covered to an extent by the missing mother
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah. I really like this show. Like, really like it. I really love Yuzuki though. She's the best (But does anyone else think her voice sounds too old? Don't get me wrong, I love Saori Hayami, but I think her voice sounds a bit too low pitched for Yuzuki, who's the youngest member of the group). Shirase won me over with her NOT being a super cold, icy wise-beyond-her-years mature girl who's always in every anime ever.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
They actually visited Singapore. Now that was a complicated experience for me. (Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
It has certainly been a good show, and I hope that even those who normally don't watch slice of life stuff, to maybe give it a chance. Because it is rally well put together.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:23 am Reply with quote
Came for the penguins, stayed for the friendship. Protect these precious girls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2