• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Jan 29-Feb 4 [2018-02-08]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Damn, competition sure is tough at the top of the tables. Darling in the Franxx had an important jump up in the weekly table, but it did not move in the cumulative. I usually never root for shows in these rankings, but I would like Darling to at least reach the top 7 in the cumulative.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Clear Card Dropped to another number and it's still unfair
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what in the world caused VEG to raise a spot in the cumulative rankings after falling 13 ranks in this week's ranking and I see that CCS tanked 18 positions. My goodness that is a freefall. Did they throw in a bunch of skeevy loli fanservice or something? Trying to figure what could cause ANN to turn on a series so quick is a chore.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I wonder what in the world caused VEG to raise a spot in the cumulative rankings after falling 13 ranks in this week's ranking and I see that CCS tanked 18 positions. My goodness that is a freefall. Did they throw in a bunch of skeevy loli fanservice or something? Trying to figure what could cause ANN to turn on a series so quick is a chore.

Pretty simple, actually. It was just a filler episode.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

Pretty simple, actually. It was just a filler episode.

Oh yea it wasn't content in the manga? I was pretty sure that was canon since she captured a card and it did seem to progress the story.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Whether it was filler or not is largely irrelevant. Half the episode was very slow uninteresting SoL stuff and the actual card capture portion was lackluster to say the least.

Considering CCS is a "monster of the week" formula, filler can be easily inserted into the show without breaking the flow (first season did it quite well). But a sub par episode is a sub par episode regardless.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh sure I agree that the reason it rank lower was probably because of the slower pace, but I just wanted to make sure what Jacob was talking about. People use fillers in all sort of ways and I never know how they mean it. Filler is after all mainly identified with non-canon content use to fill time between canon stories. I wouldn't say that was the case, unless it was original content.

Personally I thought the episode was still fun. Gave me my sweet and comfy CCS moment. But yes it was slower.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I wonder what in the world caused VEG to raise a spot in the cumulative rankings after falling 13 ranks in this week's ranking and I see that CCS tanked 18 positions.

It was Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card's fall by two places in the overall that made Violet Evergarden rise by one.

Even though Violet Evergarden fell hard in the weekly ranking it wasn't enough to go below The Ancient Magus' Bride in the overall ranking, so it kept its relative placing.

Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, on the other hand, fell by so many places in the weekly ranking that it dropped below both Violet Evergarden.
Mojave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been following Violet Evergarden this season, although I'm considering giving it a try. What caused it to plummet to much for this one week?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:
I haven't been following Violet Evergarden this season, although I'm considering giving it a try. What caused it to plummet to much for this one week?

It was filler. Laughing

More seriously it was a poorly setup episode which was also very similar to the 2 previous one centered on a unlikable character.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see A Place Further moving up in the rankings. I was surprised that it wasn't the one that pushed DBS out of the top three last week, but I'm not surprised to see it jump to third itself this week.

I'm not following Violet Evergarden since it isn't legally available in the US, so I can't comment on the content yet. However, considering the review and rating for the most recent episode, it should be back up next week.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:

That is really weird. My guess is that the viewers are staring to get anxious because the show is focusing on side characters instead of the titular Violet. It has been my least favorite episode so far, but it was still a good quality episode.

And while VEG plummeted in the weekly ranking, it is still in a great position in the cumulative, which to me is the more important ranking at the end of the day.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
Why do people abbreviate Violet Evergarden as VEG instead of VE? It's not Violet Ever Garden. It wouldn't bother me except that I keep reading it as in vegetable. Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why do people abbreviate Violet Evergarden as VEG instead of VE? It's not Violet Ever Garden. It wouldn't bother me except that I keep reading it as in vegetable. Smile

I was also bothered by the VEG abbreviation because it is weird, but I decided to go with the flow and accept it.
Crext

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Why isn't "The Ryuo's Work is Never Done!" on the list? It's on Crunchyroll, and seem pretty mainstream...

Also, about Gintama. Isn't it only watched by hardcore fans at this rate, so of course I'd score high with a biased sample? That isn't a show you can just jump into, unlike perhaps shows like One Piece?

How do people get picked for this poll anyways?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2