• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Maerchen Maedchen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Just a note, since I seem to have left out half a sentence - Yumelia's personality is aligned with Shuten Doji; Hazuki's Original is Cinderella, which hopefully foreshadows her own development.
Skyletv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I was interested in this show but I didn't think I would enjoy it so much.

Hazuki is so lovely and silly...maybe my favorite character of the season.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this a lot so far, mostly because of Hazuki being such a nerd which makes her very relatable. I wonder if her real and her "magical girl" life are going to clash sooner or later?

Let's hope the show will be able to keep the healthy balance of comedy, drama and mild yuri fanservice. Smile
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Just a note, since I seem to have left out half a sentence - Yumelia's personality is aligned with Shuten Doji; Hazuki's Original is Cinderella, which hopefully foreshadows her own development.

Huh, weird. It's been fixed.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Not often do I come across a show that has its main character also be the semi-narrator and I personally like it when that happens. She appears to be relatable character to follow and the magic academy seems interesting as well. Pretty decent start so far. Let’s see where this series takes us from here (Especially since this is based on a source material from an author who is unfortunately no longer with us. Sad)
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
This show is definitely my favorite of the season sofar. I'm hoping it has 24 episodes I just don't know if there is enough source material to make that possible since I haven't read it.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
This show definitely seems like it will be my underrated gem of the season. Kinda like Anime-gataris last season. The main character is super lovable and I'm loving the use of actual fairy tales as the basis for the magic system.
Wtv

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Not often do I come across a show that has its main character also be the semi-narrator and I personally like it when that happens. She appears to be relatable character to follow and the magic academy seems interesting as well. Pretty decent start so far. Let’s see where this series takes us from here (Especially since this is based on a source material from an author who is unfortunately no longer with us. Sad)

Just to be clear, the author never wrote a word of the novel. He made the concept, but died before starting it. The writing is made by the group he created, so there's no much risk of a writing shift in the middle of the series.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:

Just to be clear, the author never wrote a word of the novel. He made the concept, but died before starting it. The writing is made by the group he created, so there's no much risk of a writing shift in the middle of the series.

Yeah, I know. I was just pondering over what direction he would have had it go to since this series is different at least in terms of setting and plot from his previous works that have been adapted to anime thus far. I’m curious as to where his group will have it go without him.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shizuka's meeting with a high-ranking member of magical society already has him advocating to nullify Hazuki's contract with Cinderella via memory erasure simply because she's an outsider.

The way I interpreted that part... "We need you to teach her that she's only a part of the Origin. Well? Why not just rewrite her memories?" ... had me thinking that he was planning to leave the contract intact but rewrite her memories relating to the normal world so that she would believe she was a part of the Origin and able to fully use its powers.

Anyway, what kind of girl's name is "Arthur"? Maybe the writers of this anime have been playing too much Fate Stay/Night.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That aside, I think Hans Christian Andersen may be screaming from the afterlife at Maerchen Maedchen's version of his classic literary fairy tale The Little Matchgirl.

To be fair, I think they mentioned in the episode that the American school is taking Origins and modifying them somehow, which might be a little jab at Disney and American culture in general.

As for the hypocrisy about why none of them question the Americans having a danish story, Lynne is a much stronger fighter so the others are probably a bit more hesitant to take her on, whereas Hazuki can't fully utilize her magic makes them see her as a weak link.

Plus the fact that she's from the other world mean's they don't see her as attached to the Japanese school as Shizuka is.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
Those are good points, and I didn't consider Lynne's strength as a deterrent, which you're probably right about. I'm also now wondering if Denmark would have its own school or be part of a Northern European collective academy, which might make a difference as well.

I almost mentioned the Disney jab, because that's how I interpreted it too. (Although I have to point out that Disney's only continuing what the Grimms started with reconfiguring fairy tales to suit their desired audience.) As far as I know, there's only a "Little Matchgirl" short from them, and I have to admit that I hate the story and so haven't seen it. Embarassed Does anyone know if it's faithful to Andersen?
Showsni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 am Reply with quote
So... The headmistress of the Japanese school cheated to allow her team to have four members against the Coalition school's three members? Surely that's not allowed.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I laughed when Hazuki started throwing shade on Cinderella.

"What kind of magic spell ends at midnight anyway?"
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 was a nice one. Glad to see Hazuki and Shizuka be friends again and I also laughed at how Hazuki started critiquing Cinderella. Based on how many comments are in this thread so far, I’d say that this show hardly has much of a following behind it. A bit of a shame, really.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3