• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Indestructible Studio Gainax: Part I

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomsonPRD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Impressive work of research, it has been ages since I wanted to know a lot more about Hideaki Anno first years in the industry and Gainax itself.
They've always been my favourite studio, and I seriously can't wait for the next part!
Keep it up guys, this kind of stuff is dramatically useful!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Excellent article! This is precisely the kind of content I want to see more of on ANN.

BTW, anyone know the specific source of the exploding Enterprise in that GIF?
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Having grown up as part of the pretty much the same generation of SF fandom, the reference to General Products made me grin. I wonder how many anime fans get the reference?
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This is exactly the kind of content we need more of on ANN!

Still I don't think call Gainax "indestructible" considering it's present situation of being a very diminished player in the industry. Indeed it makes it's story of it's founding and history something of a tragedy in the end. (though Anno got a mostly happy end)

Last edited by Zeino on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:

I can't give you an exact timestamp, and I'm not even sure of it's III or IV, but it is from one of the DAICON opening films mentioned in the article.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Fluwm wrote:

I can't give you an exact timestamp, and I'm not even sure of it's III or IV, but it is from one of the DAICON opening films mentioned in the article.

[checks]

DAICON III, about the 45sec point.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
This is exactly the kind of content we need more of on ANN!

Still I don't think call Gainax "indestructible" considering it's present situation of being a very diminished player in the industry. Indeed it makes it's the story of it's founding and history something of a tragedy in the end.

Like a good chunk of their body of work?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:23 pm Reply with quote
You know, something I'd like to see - and probably never will - would be a Shin Otaku no Video that tells the (semi-fictionalised) story of a great studio that loses all its original/notable staff and becomes a shadow of its former self.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Fascinating read.

One note / footnote I'd like to post here: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind pre-dates Ghibli. Anno worked for the people who went on to create that studio by that name out of the success of this animated feature film, based on the state of Miyazaki's manga up to that point in time ... but -as such- Ghibli as a studio, did not exist when Anno went to work on the Nausicaä film -this scene.

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Nice article, but Osaka's nowhere near the equator...

DerekL1963 wrote:
Having grown up as part of the pretty much the same generation of SF fandom, the reference to General Products made me grin. I wonder how many anime fans get the reference?

I don't, but the text on the ad says "its name can be found in a certain book by Larry Niven" (though the name was changed to hiragana). I'm from that generation as well, but I've somehow never read a Niven book. Ringworld's in the TBR stack, though.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Nice article, but Osaka's nowhere near the equator...

Close enough to have a hot, humid climate. The US equivalent would be the North Carolina coast - which (trust me on this, I grew up in NC) is very hot and very humid.

Quote:
DerekL1963 wrote:

I don't, but the text on the ad says "its name can be found in a certain book by Larry Niven" (though the name was changed to hiragana). I'm from that generation as well, but I've somehow never read a Niven book. Ringworld's in the TBR stack, though.

Translating the hirigana rather than recognizing it is kinda cheating... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Kinda odd to be from that generation and never have read any Known Space/Niven. There's some good stories in there.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:08 am Reply with quote
Just for fun, people should check out 2014 Japanese TV drama, "Aoi Honoo/Blue Fire" on Viki.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 am Reply with quote
There are two things I could see from the video of Daicon IV(?) --
1) This was very much from the era before Japan really started caring about enforcing international copyrights on entertainment IP's, wasn't it? It wasn't until videogame sales and anime licensing became BIG, BIG international business they started caring about that, right?
2) While this ISN'T the first time I've seen Star Wars parodied or drawn into anime, it's pretty blatant the copying to the point that "parody protection" doesn't really apply. Still, what's interesting here is that Japan has a "female Jedi" (even if she's in bunnywear!) 15 years before that happened in an official American Star Wars movie!
My, for all the talk about how sexist, misogynist, and backwards Japan is they sure do have a lot of animated films and anime TV shows with female leads who aren't all princesses or magical girls. They also manage to do this without being as anti-masculine as some of the latest Hollywood films I've seen have been.

AND, if you want to see the "anime" version of the fictional history of Gainax, they've done that.
It's a neat little OVA series called "Otaku No Video" that's been available for around 12-15 years on DVD. They released it on Blu ray from AnimEigo over a year ago. The Blu ray has a few extras on it the DVD doesn't which include commentary tracks from the voiceover cast, one of whom was Kikoku Inoue (Belldandy "Oh My Goddess," Kasumi "Ranma 1/2"). She played an ultimately "not-so-nice" girlfriend in the OVAs which went against acting type!
Of course, what may keep people from getting the Blu ray is the price -- $35 for the basic disc, $60 for the upgrade with the art chipbox and artbook. The DVD can be had for $10 from about everywhere that still carries it. It scaled up halfway decently the last time I played it on a Blu ray player. Still got the Blu ray, though.

Of course, the article does eventually have to get to the pointed (noted by other people already) where Gainax went downhill...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Great piece. Reminds me of The Notenki Memoirs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
(though Anno got a mostly happy end)

I see what you did there. XD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2