• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - First Love Monster

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Slightly to my shame, I remember enjoying First Love Monster when it was just adult voice actors pretending to be children who look like teenagers. Had a bit of a Recorder & Randsell vibe. Any time it tried to take itself seriously, though, it fell like a lead balloon - also like Recorder & Randsell.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
I am shocked beyond belief that XechS is getting a bluray release, and the only reason i can think of for it is that Funimation was contractually obligated to. Watching the first episode of this with my watch group years ago was a transcendent experience. The first episode (meant to sell an audience on a show) was the first time i've seen an anime where absolutely no one on any level of production cared in the slightest about the product. It's amazing how boring they managed to make a can't-miss premise (boy band + sentai action), packaged in drab, dull colors and minimum-effort story.

At least Handshakers had a (strange, aggressively unappealing, so-bad-it's-good) creative vision; XechS is just a bunch of nothing. I'm morbidly fascinated to see what the dub for this will be like.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:29 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

I'm morbidly fascinated to see what the dub for this will be like.

They released it without a dub
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Oshii's Urusei Yatsura release has been a long time in the making! Given its historical importance, I do hope it receives a full review here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The point is that you – the person choosing to watch this of your own volition – embrace and acknowledge that you have an alarming fetish, so you deal with this by turning the ensuing shame into part of the kink.

Is... is that a thing?

Like, I guess that would help explain why shows like this and Super Lovers even exist, and would explain a good chunk of the loli fandom too.

It just never really occurred to me as being part of fujoshi culture. Like I've been a BL fan for a long time, but I was never really "ashamed" of it? I mean, I acknowledged that it's the kind of thing you keep to yourself and wouldn't go screaming about it to the whole world, but I never felt ashamed of myself for liking it. But in Japan where, until fairly recently, homosexuality was something that was barely whispered about, I guess I can understand fans feeling much more ashamed about liking things that society deems questionable at best.

Is that why we're suddenly getting so much trashy "BL" in the mainstream? Homosexuality is being seen as more and more acceptable so they have to keep pushing the envelope?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I have one issue with the First Love Monster, something I disagree with most certainty. WATAMOTE is not a good show. Other than that... wait a minute.

Tomoko isn't a fujoshi, she's just an isolated obsessive otaku who happens to have female parts. She's not a "rotten girl", she's just a terrible person who's fairly delusional about not being terrible. How to put it simply as possible...

The fujoshi is the friend no one likes while Tomoko has no one she likes, even her friends.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Beautiful Dreamer, one of my earliest memories of late night anime movie viewing when the old Sci-Fi Channel used to air anime. It's unfortunately my only experience with Urusei Yatsura, but it's still a lot of fun to watch. And Love is a Boomerang is a great ending theme; captures that mysterious 80s vibe so well: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-RtqfWpGpik
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, First Love Monster. I remember this. Honestly, this show is trash but I cannot ignore it. 12 episodes of Horie Yui making cute sounds? Sign me up. That's literally the only reason I watched this.

"mysteriously post-pubescent twelve-year-olds" Good one.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh First Love Monster. My favorite anime to show to friends when I want to hear them scream in agony and beg to switch to something else. And then keep going anyway because they absolutely need to see the heights the anime will go with its attempts to be funny.

It’s such a terrible show, but it’s at least terrible in a “this gets laughably worse every episode” way, rather than in a “god this is starting to drag” way (looking at you, Handshakers.) If you’re going to be awful, you might as well go all the way. \(0v0)/
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
What's Library War like? I went and watched the trailer, it seems interesting.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
I gave it a very low rating because it's really bad, but I actually did kind of enjoy First Love Monster just as a W.T.F. am I watching kind of show. There were a number of pretty hilarious and absurd moments. I feel like the show was more in on the joke than a lot of people may have originally thought too. Anyway, I only really watched it and finished it out of morbid curiosity, but for me, it really does encapsulate the so-bad-it's-good phrase.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
WATAMOTE is not a good show.

I agree, with the caveat that it's probably one of the best currently-serialized manga right now (although the nature of the story has moved so far beyond the anime's premise that we might as well be talking about two different franchises).
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw the plot of FLM I was ready to completely hate and disregard it. But I watched the first episode and it was ????????? So weird. Not what I was expecting. Some of it was actually really funny in its ridiculousness. It was such a strange experience that I came from it wondering if I enjoyed it or not. Like the wiener touch joke or the bit where one of the dudes travels the country to release a lobster or something??? It was weird. Really weird. You think it'll be some creepy pedo romance but it's like.. bizarre. I watched bits of pieces/random episodes of the show rather than full episodes so maybe that helped?
also the chase scene after kayo saw the lady sniffing main dude's fathers underwear was pretty damn funny.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:00 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
What's Library War like? I went and watched the trailer, it seems interesting.

It's kind of Fahrenheit 451ish in that you have a government agency that wants to censor books and media and the library task force that fights to protect them. I love the show and the characters, so I'm super glad I can now own it on bluray.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
When I first saw the plot of FLM I was ready to completely hate and disregard it. But I watched the first episode and it was ????????? So weird. Not what I was expecting. Some of it was actually really funny in its ridiculousness. It was such a strange experience that I came from it wondering if I enjoyed it or not. Like the wiener touch joke or the bit where one of the dudes travels the country to release a lobster or something??? It was weird. Really weird. You think it'll be some creepy pedo romance but it's like.. bizarre. I watched bits of pieces/random episodes of the show rather than full episodes so maybe that helped?
also the chase scene after kayo saw the lady sniffing main dude's fathers underwear was pretty damn funny.

Nah, it's not just because you were watching bits and pieces. That's how my experience went while watching it in its entirety. It's just such a weird f*cking show that I couldn't possibly hate it. I was just baffled and deeply amused most of the time. The only thing that I explicitly disliked was the noted pederasty joke they kept going back to with the trap/idol fan. That was just uncomfortable. For the most part, otherwise, it was just genuinely a baffling good time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2