• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action FullMetal Alchemist Film Listed for Netflix Premiere on February 19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I hope they can get the Ajin live action film, since they have the anime. I would be happy if that get's licensed by anyone though, I heard it was actually good.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Wait so this is coming to Netflix before we even get it in theaters? Or is this only Netflix Japan initially?
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh...I was actually kinda hoping it came to theaters first...I guess as the 1% who doesn't own Netflix, I guess I need to find someone to borrow their account.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, it had to be on the day right after my free month trial expires. It's just my luck to try these things too soon.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't expecting Netflix to pick it up, but it does make sense. Looking forward to checking it out.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if it’ll be subtitled only.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Diehard Fullmetal Alchemist fan, preparing to cringe for over an hour.
TemplateR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:44 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wait so this is coming to Netflix before we even get it in theaters? Or is this only Netflix Japan initially?

The Film was released in the theaters and that was in Japan.

Anyway, will Netflix stream the film worldwide? Or just only in few countries?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:13 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
Diehard Fullmetal Alchemist fan, preparing to cringe for over an hour.

I've cringed enough over the trailers. It can't be worse than Attack on Titan which somehow updated its setting to post WWII somewhere without actually thinking about what it meant.

"Wait, isn't that a helicopter? Wouldn't one of those be really handy?" And that's where I stopped watching. They just didn't care.

With this movie, it's more a matter of accepting what they left out rather than what they added. Yes, I know they left out most of Fullmetal Alchemist out of their adaptation and I'm ready for the worst.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Netflix got this movie but I guess Netflix is now the official home for all future Aniplex related titles now. I wonder if this will be sub only or if they'll bring back the Funimation cast to dub it? From what I heard, it got a pretty positive reception when it premiered at anime cons in the U.S. last year, so I'm actually cautiously optimistic for the film. Between this and the live action Erased series, I hope Netflix can pick up more live action Japanese content.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm surprised Netflix got this movie but I guess Netflix is now the official home for all future Aniplex related titles now. I wonder if this will be sub only or if they'll bring back the Funimation cast to dub it? From what I heard, it got a pretty positive reception when it premiered at anime cons in the U.S. last year, so I'm actually cautiously optimistic for the film. Between this and the live action Erased series, I hope Netflix can pick up more live action Japanese content.

Anything released as a "Netflix" title tends to get dubbed in the language of every country it is released in, and they even dubbed the Erased series. Until we get an official confirmation (which probably won't be until its release day), this is just speculation but I wouldn't be surprised if they did dub it, and it would be sweet if the ADR duties were handed to Funimation. Still going to check it out either way!--even if it probably means extending my Netflix subscription beyond the free trial month.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:36 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:

This is not an Aniplex release, this was Warner Brothers.
Rylucius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
This live-action FMA movie is totally full of whitewashing, or in this case, Japanese-washing, or whatever you call it. And the story's terrible and full of missing plotholes. The reviews are mediocre to bad. What's made for anime, should've stay as anime!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1