• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuriten 2018 Fair Cancelled at Tokyo Venue

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
That is a shame but at least the cancellation had nothing to do with a crazy otaku. Hopefully they will be able to find a new venue soon.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I think Tokyo suffer the same problem as many Capital around the world, the place are becoming tighter and tighter.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see this. Hope they will manage to find a new venue so more yuri promotion is abound.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:24 pm Reply with quote
About the cancelation of the specific Tokyo venue, Erica Friedman's posted the following entry on Okazu.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
About the cancelation of the specific Tokyo venue, Erica Friedman's posted the following entry on Okazu.

Oooo, that would have been bad news for the event if it were connected to those photos. Yeesh! Anime dazed
yuricon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:

Oooo, that would have been bad news for the event if it were connected to those photos. Yeesh! Anime dazed

You missed the point. The organizers have no intention of removing those photos from the show - and I agree with them. I don't much care for the photos, but the artistic value of those photos is for individuals to determine for themselves.

I'm still in touch with the organizers and I have offered them my full support on the decision.

Cheers,

Erica
yuricon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
That is a shame but at least the cancellation had nothing to do with a crazy otaku. Hopefully they will be able to find a new venue soon.

Nothing at all to do with that. It was a business vs art decision. Yuri otaku are pretty well behaved in Japan, just as we are in the west. Anime smile I like to think we're focused more on enjoying good Yuri than anything else.

Cheers,

Erica
yuricon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I head back from the Yuriten mangement, they said my article on this cheered them up. Anime smile As a person who has run (and attempted to run and been shot down by venues) events, I completely sympathize with the folks running this event. Venues want to offend no one...and art sometimes offends. The event organizers are working to find a new Tokyo location.

I think the Yuriten folks made the right decision standing behind the inclusion of Yuria's work. My opinion of the photos is irrelevant, they are a valid interpretation of "Yuri" by this artist and are therefore worth defending.

Cheers,

Erica
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:07 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. I feel like it is probably best the organizers stood by the photographer? But honestly. . . what makes female thighs "yuri" content? If they're couples' thighs, I guess that applies. But even then, I feel like that kind of content leans too easily into typical, male-aimed works. It doesn't feel "yuri" anymore.

I didn't bother to look at the photos (not interested in just looking at thighs), but it would be silly to try and make people "more comfortable" by removing them. (Unless of course, some people that wanted them not present were bi/lesbian people that felt they were unnecessary.)
yuricon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Hmmm. I feel like it is probably best the organizers stood by the photographer? But honestly. . . what makes female thighs "yuri" content? If they're couples' thighs, I guess that applies. But even then, I feel like that kind of content leans too easily into typical, male-aimed works. It doesn't feel "yuri" anymore.

I didn't bother to look at the photos (not interested in just looking at thighs), but it would be silly to try and make people "more comfortable" by removing them. (Unless of course, some people that wanted them not present were bi/lesbian people that felt they were unnecessary.)

What makes the content "Yuri" is that the artist says it is. That is how art works - the artist's intent is the meaning, regardless of what other people decide. You not looking at the art but forming an opinion anyway is how human nature works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1