• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are shounen battle manga with flat-chested love interests not very popular?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 am Reply with quote
Why are shounen battle manga (with or without anime adaptations) with flat-chested heroines as protagonists' love interests not very popular enough? I am actually talking about series where such love interests, regardless of personality, should have a A- or AA-cup, particularly if they are around the same age as the protagonist, perhaps older. Series like Shaman King, Buso Renkin, Soul Eater, Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan and Twin Star Exorcists have them, but their level of popularity usually isn't very big and some even ended up as absolute commercial flops (sometimes also critical), even the ones that had love interests with big racks are getting more popular in comparison. So what make battle shounen manga with flat-chested love interests not so popular to begin with?

For starters, the genre is usually aimed at young boys so they aren't quite receptive of the deep nuances of flat chests, when designed into the character it is often hardly eye-catching with no actual visibly nuanced drawn lines on their chests to the uninitiated, not even so much the small shadows thrown into said flat chested character's outfit. Another major factor, is that big breasts usually symbolizes health and fits the image of the protagonist's love interest.

So are there other problems as for why battle shounen with flat chested love interests doesn't work well within the general public? Please answer me with detailed insights as for why.

Last edited by TarutoClown93 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
I think you've pretty well covered it. The main target audience for those works aren't old enough to understand that flat is justice. That's why works for an older crowd like Shakugan no Shana or Fate/Stay Night go over a lot better.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for the world at large, but I don't think I know many people who watch shounen anime for the Love Interests. The few times that I've seen them do so, it's a shounen like Toradora or something where the love interest is flat-chested and their personality and character-depth are the draw.

Me personally? I liked One Piece more when the character designs were more subdued. I miss A-cup Nami. It feels like the Channel Awesome "But the Chart Says" guys suddenly broke into Oda's house around the time of Thriller Bark and demanded he inflate everyone's chests.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
It feels like the Channel Awesome "But the Chart Says" guys suddenly broke into Oda's house around the time of Thriller Bark and demanded he inflate everyone's chests.

Nah, Oda's always been a huge perv so that was likely all him.

Fairy Tail was kind of the opposite: the staff thought there were too many big boobed characters so they created Wendy for the loli appeal.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Me personally? I liked One Piece more when the character designs were more subdued. I miss A-cup Nami. It feels like the Channel Awesome "But the Chart Says" guys suddenly broke into Oda's house around the time of Thriller Bark and demanded he inflate everyone's chests.

Most of the series' female characters already have well-rounded mildly large tits to begin, they just aren't as humongous as it is now. Pretty sure early Nami had C cup from what I've looked upon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1