• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Quest XI Game's Videos Reveal September 4 Release in West

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
If only Dragon Quest X got an American version... I know it would be difficult with the MMO format, but still...
IanC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Sony have obviously paid for timed exclusivity. The Switch is designed to be developed friendly and easy to port too, and Epic have made sure UE4 is easy to use on pretty much everything.

So either Square Enix have really, really bad coders, or Sony have paid them. Since they state the Switch version won't come out till 2019, I'm guessing it's either 6 months or a year exclusivity. Would tie in with the lack of the 3DS version too, since that was lead platform for the story/design side...
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
No 3DS version? WTF?!!! That's surprising considering the 3DS version sold more copies.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Sony have obviously paid for timed exclusivity. The Switch is designed to be developed friendly and easy to port too, and Epic have made sure UE4 is easy to use on pretty much everything.

So either Square Enix have really, really bad coders, or Sony have paid them. Since they state the Switch version won't come out till 2019, I'm guessing it's either 6 months or a year exclusivity. Would tie in with the lack of the 3DS version too, since that was lead platform for the story/design side...

Why is it so hard to believe phone hardware can't handle a port of a game that doesn't run at 1080p on PS4? DQXI clearly isn't a low spec game.

I also don't get you logic in timing. Dragon Quest XI's biggest market is Japan. The game came out on PS4 and 3DS last summer. It's already been six months. 2019 will be approaching 2 years from launch. By the way, typically exclusivity agreements don't allow you to openly talk about future SKUs like that. This is also getting a day-1 PC port and Sony made no fuss about this game's western announcement.

Romuska wrote:
No 3DS version? WTF?!!! That's surprising considering the 3DS version sold more copies.

In Japan, which is irrelevant to the west.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
IanC wrote:

Why is it so hard to believe phone hardware can't handle a port of a game that doesn't run at 1080p on PS4? DQXI clearly isn't a low spec game.

I also don't get you logic in timing. Dragon Quest XI's biggest market is Japan. The game came out on PS4 and 3DS last summer. It's already been six months. 2019 will be approaching 2 years from launch. By the way, typically exclusivity agreements don't allow you to openly talk about future SKUs like that. This is also getting a day-1 PC port and Sony made no fuss about this game's western announcement.

Romuska wrote:

Dragon Quest XI was announced for the Switch before the Switch even released. So as IanC stated, the Switch is designed around UE4 and is very developer friendly when it comes to UE4 games. No reason for a port to take this long unless a certain company has paid for it to happen.

Also, going by what the devs of Ark: Survival Evolved have been saying, the Switch is more powerful than you may think.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Primus wrote:
IanC wrote:

Romuska wrote:

Dragon Quest XI was announced for the Switch before the Switch even released. So as IanC stated, the Switch is designed around UE4 and is very developer friendly when it comes to UE4 games. No reason for a port to take this long unless a certain company has paid for it to happen.

Also, going by what the devs of Ark: Survival Evolved have been saying, the Switch is more powerful than you may think.

Pretty much. Considering how well the Switch is doing right now (it just hit four million in Japan, meaning it's now within striking distance of the PS4 install base) it would be asinine for them to delay the Switch version for so long. It can't be an optimization thing either as many devs have praised how simple it is to port games to the system.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
Never thought that DQXI would have a release date for PC before VC4. I'll definitely be getting it on Steam. DQ VIII was such a fun game.
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:52 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news for me. It falls on my birthday.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:

I'm in a similar boat. Comes out 2 days before mine. I'm about 1/4 of the way through the Japanese version, but stopped because it was becoming too much of a slog with google translate lol. So happy to finally be able to play this in English.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:

So what if DQXI was announced for Switch before that console's release? If anything, that would lend credence to Sony not paying SE off to delay its release. If you look at other timed exclusive games, late ports are never spoken about before launch. Plus, the PS4 version of DQXI was the base version. The 3DS game and Switch port idea came after they had already started developing that one. Announcing DQXI for Switch before Switch even had a name just means Square Enix prematurely assumed it would easily handle game.

CurseTheSky wrote:

Yes, because a port developer looking to hype up their work on a completely different project is definitely a valid comparison. Rolling Eyes

Riddle me this, if Switch is so capable at handling UE4 games. How come Square Enix's Kingdom Hearts III isn't coming to it? That's built in UE4. Are you going to try to tell me that Sony and Microsoft are colluding to keep the game off of Switch?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what would Sony have to do gain by greasing palms for a timed exclusive release when

A. Dragonquest is nowhere near as popular as Square's other IP's outside of Japan
B. It's coming out on the the PC at the same time as the PS4.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense that Sony would pay for exclusivity but allow a same-day PC western release. DQ XI is a big game and would need a 32 GB cartridge. From the murmurings I've read, those 32 GB cartridges can be quite expensive, which is why there have been only a handful of Switch games released that use them.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

From the press release, I'm under the impression that this news is only Square-Enix's side of things. I'd imagine like the other DS/3DS Dragon Quest titles, it'll be published by Nintendo for North America, so they are going to be folks to maybe talk to down the line, and I would expect it to show up in a Nintendo Direct, maybe the E3 one. If it doesn't, then the idea is dead.
Eivion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Eivion wrote:

I'm in a similar boat. Comes out 2 days before mine. I'm about 1/4 of the way through the Japanese version, but stopped because it was becoming too much of a slog with google translate lol. So happy to finally be able to play this in English.

I'm surprised you couldn't wait. We knew this would be coming eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1