• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Complete Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to get SuperS on my B-Day (April 28th). i'm turing 20 this year. Maybe i'll show my Shelf life and what i have on my shelf. it's a TV Stand/Shelf.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Paul wrote:
As I write this introduction, it's late at night and the people in the apartment next door are blasting music loud enough to rival a karaoke bar. I'll probably end up dealing with the problem in a civilized manner, but part of me really wants to respond by playing my entire catalog of Love Live! songs starting at around 5:00 AM tomorrow morning.

As far as a mutually amicable solution goes, I can envisage a collaborative arrangement through which they get their party, while at the same time, you also get your Love Live indulgence...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I still think SNAFU season 2 was far inferior to the first one from its milky eyed direction... why have characters show how they feel when they can talk, talk and talk about it?... its softened character designs... introducing new Sleepy Eyed Hachiman! Confound Your Friends, Confuse Your Enemies! Indifferent your main hero... and.... wait... I can remember what happens in the first season but the only things I remember from season 2 was Yui's scorn death glare, meeting their two moms and any lack of an ending.

And talking, lots of talking. Did I mention talking? I thought the first one had speeches but the lengths they went in season 2 was mind numbing.
Blaggaflagga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I also thought the 2nd season was inferior to the 1st. It traded comedy and the great banter between 8-man and Yukino for melodrama. Everyone's all doom and gloom and talk (a lot) about their relationship problems as if it was the end of the world. Certain characters don't get their comeuppance andspoiler[ it ends on an unsatisfying cliffhanger, although I guess that couldn't be helped.]
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow Sentai releases this as a “complete’ collection but it doesn’t even include the OVAs? That’s really disappointing.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:39 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Wow Sentai releases this as a “complete’ collection but it doesn’t even include the OVAs? That’s really disappointing.
Typical American licensing company. I remember when they would make "complete" collections out of a single season and then a season 2 would come out in Japan a year or two later and confuse less informed buyers. They really should know by now never to call anything complete, unless it IS. Like at best a release should be like "Season 1 Complete". Or "Season 1 and 2 Complete", in this case.
-----------------

I am curious...the descriptions I can find don't say anything about this, just "all 26 episodes", but did they just merge both seasons into one single large season? As in, do the discs even say "Too" when they switch to season 2? The title screens? I'm obsessed with things being CORRECT and would honestly not buy this if they merged everything into one long season with incorrect titling and episode numbing (Episode "14" should be labeled as Season 2 episode 1). Really cannot stand when Crunchyroll and Netflix merge multiple seasons into one. Edit: Found a picture of the back for the box that does say "Get ready for rom-com gone totally wrong as the barrage a trois of the Service Club is unleashed on an unsuspecting student body in MY TEEN ROMANTIC COMEDY ~ SNAFU and MY TEEN ROMANTIC COMEDY ~ SNAFU TOO!" so they got my hopes up that the episode listing/season separation is done properly.

As for the show itself, I really really loved Season 2. Comedy is a dime and dozen these days but good, well written characters and dialogue are pretty rare and "Zoku" did it well. The ending was really a let down but I'd rather have it end as a cliff hanger than a stupid original ending.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad Sentai didn't include the two OVAs (one following S1 and the other following S2 by studio feel). The second one included a spoiler[pseudo-date between Hachiman and Iroha]

I thought the redesigned characters and animation by studio feel was much, much better in the 2nd season however, the story was more frustrating. They definitely tried to take a much more serious tone and I do appreciate how S2 became more sentimental but all of the melodrama stemming from so many implied, unsaid things among the ton of dialogue just didn't quite grok with me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Classicaloids use "Musik" not "Mujik." I would probably have gone with "Muzik" but they probably thought that looked too much like Muzak.

I never clicked with it enough to buy it, but it was fun to watch, and I made it through to the end. Beethoven was the best of the lot, although I identified more with Schubert's trials and Chopin's hikikomori-ness. To be honest, Pad-kun was best boy. >.>

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

I really really want to get this to support the creators since I love this series but not including the two OVAs is seriously disappointing for calling it the "complete collection". The 2nd OVA is so good. It should have been an extra episode in the middle of the season. Crying or Very sad
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:32 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
its softened character designs... introducing new Sleepy Eyed Hachiman!

This is the reason i found season 2 to be inferior. Half the comedic value of Hachiman were his facial expressions with those shifty eyes he had in season 1
Tind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
Is SNAFU complete, or its another series which is far away from being complete but probably never will?
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
@Tind
No, it's not complete. S2 ends mostly on a cliffhanger. From my research, the anime adapts up to volume 11 of the novel, which is currently at volume 12. There is a vol 13 and vol. 14 planned but apparently the novel release schedule is unpredictable.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
its softened character designs... introducing new Sleepy Eyed Hachiman!

This is the reason i found season 2 to be inferior. Half the comedic value of Hachiman were his facial expressions with those shifty eyes he had in season 1

A big problem with the first season’s character designs for Hachiman is that it made him look unattractive. According to the novels Hachiman is actually suposed to be a good looking guy. He is just hyper cynical which puts people off. The second season’s designs fixed that problem to some extent.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 am Reply with quote
Loss is on its way, so now I need to order Viz's dub of Super S.

Anyone have any word on when Overlord's second season and Ancient Magus' Bride will be getting their home releases?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1