• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - A New Robotech Game?!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eely225

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall, it seems to have addresses

I feel like this was an incomplete thought regarding Android 16.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
That Robotech game isn't new. It's a re-release of the Gameboy Advance title of the same name.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
That Neo Geo Mini looks adorably tempting.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With that, you get a whole mess of good games (and also 3 Count Bout for some reason). You'll probably wind up happier.

3 Count Bout was a competent title within its genre! No other arcade games of its age offered such an obvious Great Muta clone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zero-chan
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
That Robotech game isn't new. It's a re-release of the Gameboy Advance title of the same name.

That explains the resolution, which looks very GBA-like. I'd completely forgotten that game existed.
So that means the only new game is Rainbow Brite, of which we've seen... four screens. Man, this Kickstarter is looking worse by the minute.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I want the Rainbow Brite!!!
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
"Where Xbox Live and PS Plus run about $10-12 dollars a month"

You can also buy it for $40-50 a year ( or even less depending where you buy it ) , still more than Switch online, wait and see if the later comes with as much advantage than the 2 others.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
The Neo Geo Mini looks & sounds absolutely awesome, though it's weird that the MVS arcade cabinet coloring motif will be an Asian-exclusive, because that red & black look was how most people around the world, in general, remember the Neo Geo arcade units.

Still, if the game roster winds up being the same exact thing as the leaked one, then it's 99% excellent. The KOF games listed are generally considered the best of them all (though I know there are contingents who love the likes of '96 & 2003), we get the three best Samurai Shodown games, a Fatal Fury for each "series", every single Metal Slug game released for the Neo Geo (MS6 was Atomiswave), and either very solid single games or simply the best entry for a specific series. The only things I'd change would be replacing the original Art of Fighting with AoF3 (because it's the only one that really still holds up today), replace Top Player's Golf with Neo Turf Masters (because I seriously didn't even know the Neo Geo had any other golf games), & maybe swap out Ghost Pilots & the original King of the Monsters with almost any other game already not included.

Also, there are absolutely no third-party games in the roster; it's all SNK, SNK-published, or ADK (which SNK owns the rights to now). Regardless, I'm sure people will find a way to hack into this Mini & make it possible to simply play every single Neo Geo game ever made on it, ala the NES & SNES Classics.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
it's all SNK, SNK-published, or ADK (which SNK owns the rights to now). Regardless, I'm sure people will find a way to hack into this Mini & make it possible to simply play every single Neo Geo game ever made on it, ala the NES & SNES Classics.

If a few other arcade boards could be emulated by it, we would immediately have one of the best contenders for a ready-made mini cabinet. Of course, build quality would be the ultimate arbiter of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Do I just live in the only place where Neo-Geo arcade cabinets are really, really common? I don't know if they're bootlegged or not, but there seems to be one in every discount grocery store and laundromat next to those coin-op cars and horses, and they're invariably in horrible condition. Well, the outer shell is; the games all seem to be playing just fine whenever I'm looking or playing. But yeah, I don't really have any desire to get one of these mini-cabinets, or those re-releases that various console manufacturers' online stores are filled with, as I can just step outside and there'll be like 5 within a one-mile radius of my house.

Who have been announced for Blade Strangers so far? This is the first I've heard of this game.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But hey, now that one Western indie character's in the game, everyone can start begging for Sans and Undyne from Undertale!

And now Shovel Knight has been announced for Blade Strangers... Seriously.

All that's left now to announce is that Shantae will be in the game.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Yune Amagiri wrote:
You can also buy it for $40-50 a year ( or even less depending where you buy it ) , still more than Switch online, wait and see if the later comes with as much advantage than the 2 others.

Which is what? From what I can tell they're all the same thing of cloud saves and online play. The only difference is with Switch you'll get free games that are actually good like Mario and Zelda. All I ever see offered to me for PS+ is indie garbage.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
And now Shovel Knight has been announced for Blade Strangers... Seriously.

All that's left now to announce is that Shantae will be in the game.

Does Nicalis localize/distribute the Shantae games in Japan too? What other western games have they done so?
grooven

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say for Rainbow Brite, I'm a huge collector and have been since 1997. Only in the last 2-3 years does Hallmark actually care and realize us fans by making any kind of merchandise. There has never been a Rainbow Brite video game of any sort, so anything is good at this point. Beats what I tried to make with RPG maker years and years ago. Just my few cents worth from a fan perspective.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
The only difference is with Switch you'll get free games that are actually good like Mario and Zelda.

The first Mario and both NES Zelda games are not what you would call "good" especially when you have Super Mario 3 and a vareity of newer Zelda's that pretty much piss on those games. Secondly the allure of getting these games even for free as part of a subscription wears off when you remember Nintendo has reissued them multiple times over the last few years with the only difference here being some of these games have online multiplayer (which isn't even new a concept regarding older software given its been around since at least the Dreamcast).

Chester McCool wrote:

All I ever see offered to me for PS+ is indie garbage.

Yes they do sell indie stuff most of the time, but obviously not only that (all the time) though Plus isn't solely designed for getting free games every month your also get discounts under the service which is really 1 of the 2 big reasons to have it the other being for online multiplayer.

Quote:

Look, if you're really, truly jonesing for some retro goodness in a mini arcade cab, why not get the new Neo Geo Mini instead? With that, you get a whole mess of good games (and also 3 Count Bout for some reason). You'll probably wind up happier.

Unless it's like the Neo Geo X.

Quote:

So yeah, that's Nintendo Switch online in a nutshell. It's kind of a mess. But really, when has half-assed online ever prevented Nintendo from making money?

Depending on how you look at it the GameCube which had online but not for most of the system's library.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2