• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: BanG Dream! Idol Franchise Gets All-Male Band Project

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:43 am Reply with quote
I find this to be absolutely ridiculous. Another series that generalizes itself and wants everyone for cheap bucks at the expense of genderflipping its concept with no other changes or originality whatsover. Pandering to all types of fans with that is not always the best solution to gain profit and fame. So much for being Love Live and K-On's love child.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
I actually just started watching bang dream and am on like ep4. Out of curiosity does anyone else find Kasumi Toyama to be a horrible human being? Also seems like there taking a page from Idolmaster I wonder if love live is next.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:27 am Reply with quote
This is genuinely stupid. So you gotta try cashing in on that fujoshi money even though there's more than enough return in investments regarding the all girls band from the franchise, ruining and alienating the fans that likes the franchise for what it is in the first place. There's better not be some crossover from the male to the female side or some shit or I'll say goodbye eternally to this franchise. And god forbids an anime version of this bullock too. What's next, an all male version for Love Live? Well, hit me up when there's gonna be a trip down to the Mariana Trench.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:00 am Reply with quote
Why in the world are folks up in arms about this? I mean, I'm pretty ambivalent towards this announcement (I can smell cash grab from a mile away), but it's not like this development will hurt any part of BanG Dream! that's ongoing. I doubt they're going to do a crossover event either. I wouldn't mind so much if they did, but these people definitely know where the money is, and that's in keeping the boys and girls side divided to maximize payoff.

(As an aside, what are they even going to call this new project? I mean, they can't keep using BanG Dream! since the G stands for Girl. BanB Dream? Definitely not as catchy.)

On a separate note, I started playing the mobile game recently, and I'm a bit... disappointed? Not over the production quality, which is great, but over the music itself, which I find a bit... amateur, for lack of better words. (Though it fits into the overall story of the franchise, I'll give it that.) I was honestly expecting something more like Show by Rock!! in terms of song quality (and I'm still disappointed that that particular game didn't get an English localization). But the girls are cute, I guess, which is like 70% of the reason why I play these games, so I guess it's an acceptable enough tradeoff.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:22 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
This is genuinely stupid. So you gotta try cashing in on that fujoshi money even though there's more than enough return in investments regarding the all girls band from the franchise, ruining and alienating the fans that likes the franchise for what it is in the first place. There's better not be some crossover from the male to the female side or some shit or I'll say goodbye eternally to this franchise. And god forbids an anime version of this bullock too. What's next, an all male version for Love Live? Well, hit me up when there's gonna be a trip down to the Mariana Trench.

Well said. Unlike BanG Dream, K-On and Love Live (please never ever) never resorted to have their own male counterparts just for the sake of more money. They still managed to appeal to everyone, even the fujoshi who enjoy them for what they are. I seriously hope that Love Live does not fall for the typical idol trends such as a self-insert guy and male counterparts. Just having one of those will diminish Love Live's originality.

Random Name wrote:
I actually just started watching bang dream and am on like ep4. Out of curiosity does anyone else find Kasumi Toyama to be a horrible human being? Also seems like there taking a page from Idolmaster I wonder if love live is next.

It is ironic that, last year, the Bushiroard president said that he wanted to take down the idol genre with band genre and he is turning BanG Dream into an unoriginal Idolm@ster clone with bands. I expected it to follow the footsteps of Love Live until this. And no, Kasumi Toyama is not a horrible human being, She has her shining and breakdown moments.

Suxinn wrote:
Why in the world are folks up in arms about this? I mean, I'm pretty ambivalent towards this announcement (I can smell cash grab from a mile away), but it's not like this development will hurt any part of BanG Dream! that's ongoing. I doubt they're going to do a crossover event either. I wouldn't mind so much if they did, but these people definitely know where the money is, and that's in keeping the boys and girls side divided to maximize payoff.

(As an aside, what are they even going to call this new project? I mean, they can't keep using BanG Dream! since the G stands for Girl. BanB Dream? Definitely not as catchy.)

It would be better if this new project is a completely separate entity from BanG Dream with its own settings, characters, and plot. Having it carrying BanG Dream's name sounds really disgusting.

Random Name wrote:
Afezeria wrote:
They are separate https://mobile.twitter.com/kidanit/status/995150781887074304 so no worry of crossover.

That can only be true if the new project is a project of its own that will not have the BanG Dream in the future.

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Sat May 12, 2018 7:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:25 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
They are separate https://mobile.twitter.com/kidanit/status/995150781887074304 so no worry of crossover.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
Also bang dream S2 is airing January 2019 and a S3 in fall 2019. https://anime.bang-dream.com/2nd/
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 am Reply with quote
And the tweet here https://twitter.com/bang_dream_info/status/995266248010153984

Last edited by John Hayabusa on Sat May 12, 2018 7:39 am; edited 2 times in total
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:37 am Reply with quote
What is the problem here?

The way I see it, it's going to be like SideM and that's not causing any issues. What is the problem in making a male band? What's wrong with Bushiroad wanting to make more money?

How the heck is this going to alienate the existing fans? Are fans of BanG Dream so insecure that a male version will make them abandon the franchise? That's not Bushiroad's problem, that's the fans problem. I hope that is not the case.

What's wrong with an anime of the male band? And for the love of all things good, what in the world would be a problem with a male version of Love Live!? If Starmyu got a female version, I wouldn't mind at all since I'd still have the boys.

I'm probably assuming things here, but the way I see it, the two posters here just don't want Bang Dream to have anything to do with male characters. Why is it disgusting?

Lastly, fujoshi does not equate to female otaku.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:54 am Reply with quote
I suspect that BanG Dream! is going to give The Idolmaster some competition.

For the uninitiated, there's apparently SideM.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
@phoenixalia It seems to you that a female-dominated series making a male version is the best and most original thing it has ever done, when it is not. Genderflipping a series, be it male of female, is never always a good idea, It tends to be just a reskinned version of the original and thus upsetting fans. It is a crime shame that BanG Dream is literally Idolm@ster: Band Edition because it is doing what the latter has done already. This is a sharp contrast to what the Bushiroad boss said about wanting to kill idol with band. This boy band project indicates that he failed to live up to his words.

Love Live stands one of the well-known idol series because it does not follow the popular/common idol trends such as a self-insert guy or male counterparts and fans do not want the series to have either of those. So you think there is no problem with Love Live having a male version. How about you go tell Pretty Cure and Yuru Yuri to have theirs too and see if it will make them better. Heck, how about you go tell Free and Yuri on Ice to have female counterparts Yuri on Ice can truly be yuri?

Besides, male-dominated idol series do not have female versions. So Idolm@ster and now BanG Dream have boys editions to make money but Starmyu and iDOLISH7 do not have to make girls editions? That is just pure garbage.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

Besides, male-dominated idol series do not have female versions. So Idolm@ster and now BanG Dream have boys editions to make money but Starmyu and iDOLISH7 do not have to make girls editions? That is just pure garbage.

Look up Fluna and SeleaS.

Seriously, look them up, they deserve more love.

I'd want to see a series where the male and female units interact. Even - gasp - a unit with both?
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 am Reply with quote
I don't actually care about any of this. I'm just here to pick at this:
John Hayabusa wrote:
Heck, how about you go tell Free and Yuri on Ice to have female counterparts Yuri on Ice can truly be yuri?

Fans of both Free! and Yuri!!! on ICE have been saying for years that there needs to be girl versions of those series. You should see the amount of genderbent fanart there is, because people want it so bad.

That aside, the last thing the industry needs is more idol shit of any kind. It's so overdone by now.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:44 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
@phoenixalia It seems to you that a female-dominated series making a male version it is the best and most original thing it has ever done, when it is not.

No. I do not. I said that it might make Bushiroad more money. I did not say that it's the best and original thing or such.

John Hayabusa wrote:
Genderflipping a series, be it male of female, is never always a good idea, It tends to be just a reskinned version of the original.

That's your opinion. If you feel that way, no problem. But you shouldn't impose those views on others.

John Hayabusa wrote:
It is a crime shame that BanG Dream is literally Idolm@ster: Band Edition because it is doing what the latter has done already. This is a sharp contrast to what the Bushiroad boss said about wanting to kill idol with band.

I don't what the Bushiroad boss said but what is wrong with Idolm@ster? As far as I can see, it's making money. Both SideM and Im@s are doing well last I checked.

John Hayabusa wrote:
Love Live stands one of the well-known idol series because it does not follow the popular/common idol trends such as a self-insert guy or male counterparts and fans do not want the series to have either of those.

I won't deny that Love Live is a well-known idol series because that would be completely false, but the latter part of your sentence if your opinion. How can one be so sure that the reason Love Live is so successful is because of what you've said?

John Hayabusa wrote:
So you think there is no problem with Love Live having a male version. How about you go tell Pretty Cure and Yuru Yuri to have theirs too and see if it will make them better. Heck, how about you go tell Free and Yuri on Ice to have female counterparts Yuri on Ice can truly be yuri?

I don't watch Pretty Cure but I did watch Yuru Yuri and it was a cute show. I still listen to the openings and endings. The art style is also really nice.

But now coming back, I've seen MilaSara fanart for Yuri!!! on Ice and I've seen others ship it and I have no problem with it at all. If Free! got a female spinoff series, I also would not mind. I have seen genderbent version of the Free! boys and I think they were lovely.

I don't recall seeing a huge amount of people throw a hissy fit over Gou (Free!). Some
people were scared when they first introduced her character but when they saw that she was a good character who did have purpose in the story other than just being a self-insert, I do not recall seeing any huge problems among fans.

John Hayabusa wrote:
Besides, male-dominated idol series do not have female versions. So Idolm@ster and now BanG Dream have male versions to make money but Starmyu and iDOLISH7 do not have to make female versions? That is just pure garbage.

Ensemble Stars has Ensemble Girls. Ensemble Girls did come out first in 2013 and was followed by Ensemble Stars in 2015. Tsukiuta has a female version too. I don't recall seeing fans getting mad over that. Show by Rock!!, also band related, have both male and female groups. Though, I don't see why that's a problem. What do male-dominated idol series not having female versions have anything to do with it?
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
I don't actually care about any of this. I'm just here to pick at this:
John Hayabusa wrote:
Heck, how about you go tell Free and Yuri on Ice to have female counterparts Yuri on Ice can truly be yuri?

Fans of both Free! and Yuri!!! on ICE have been saying for years that there needs to be girl versions of those series. You should see the amount of genderbent fanart there is, because people want it so bad.

That aside, the last thing the industry needs is more idol shit of any kind. It's so overdone by now.

I am pretty sure that those fans who want it are guys, some of which probably do not watch those anime. I have seen some of those genderbent fanarts and they are pretty.

Also, I am not going to lie. I am getting sick and tired of this idol garbage too now that BanG Dream has been desecrated. So obsessed with money and power that they will pander to another fanbase while not caring for their own. Love Live is the only series that is keeping me from dropping the genre altogether. All I want is a series that is all about about cute girls doing cute things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3