• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War GN 1 & 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
I love this manga, and am ecstatic that it was picked up for english release. One point i enjoy is how the artwork is so often drawn and shaded like a horror series, which just adds to the ridiculous and over-the-top nature of each chapter's events. This one gets my full recommendation.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
You can even spoil me, but tell me: Do any of these main characters confess their love at some point and the story continues well? Since Nisekoi, I deny reading any rom-com manga with the same awful premise of the main characters being in love during the whole story´s run and only confessing their love as the end goal of the story. It´s awful to wait 2+ years for that to happen.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Nisekoi was built around the idea of characters in relationships and having to deal with love constantly, so I think it's a bit different. The review here I think makes a slight mistake in characterization: the two leads aren't fully cognizant that they're in love quite yet, they start off with "I'm so amazing that the only person worthy of being my partner is her/him," which is how we get into the ridiculous hijinks.

spoiler[No, neither of them has confessed yet, but I believe they're both aware they like each other where the story is now (chapter 100+), plus the cast has expanded quite a bit and the new characters have their own plots and troubles to follow.]

I agree with Merxamers, I was super happy to find out this series got picked up :3
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
TL;DR: Spy vs. Spy as a double-tsundere rom-com.

I keep imagining an anime version directed by Tetsuro Araki.

(Though Manabu Okamoto might be a good choice too, given the comic timing and grasp of misunderstanding humor shown by Gamers.)
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Waiting on bated breath for My Guy Ishigami.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic manga, I would recommend giving a look if the review makes you even slightly interested.

Edit: another good example of infrequent follow-up jokes - four times in ~100 chapters - is how Chika spoiler[gets roped into teaching Miyuki something he's really bad at. After grueling training montage she swears she'll never do it again, yet gets pulled into his schemes again and again.]
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
This is the funniest rom-com I've ever had the pleasure of reading and it hasn't gotten old even after 100 chapters, and even manages some legitimate heartfelt moments. Definitely worth a place on the self.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
This is actually a very good manga if you're into wacky comedy. But at the same time it's quite clever!

One wonders if this can hold up over a lengthy time, or if the author is smart enough to know when to end it, but 2 volumes in, and it doesn't cease to deliver.
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I like the graphic design used in Japanese cover though. It's more attention grabbing.

meruru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 am Reply with quote
This is possibly my favorite manga. The themes never change, but still, the mangaka manages to keep up that level of ridiculousness and energy for over a hundred chapters now, such that it just never gets old. My review has always been that this is one of those manga that if just hearing the premise amuses you, you're pretty certain to like it, because I can't see how the premise could be executed much better. And if you don't like the premise, then probably don't bother because it's completely what's written on the tin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1