• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Spring 2018, Apr 29-May 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I never would have guessed to be watching 4 of the top 5 as well as the bottom 2 for these rankings in the same season. Nevertheless, the top 5 should come as no surprise to anyone and overall, Spring is chugging along quite nicely.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The best episode of Mahou Shoujo ore gets the lowest rating. Such a shame because it was the same episode that got even more people into the anime.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
The best episode of Mahou Shoujo ore gets the lowest rating. Such a shame because it was the same episode that got even more people into the anime.

I could say the same thing about episode 5 of gegege kitaro, let's say like in the ending of lyrics of the op of Steins;Gate 0 "there is no god".
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised, most of the shows I'm watching are all over the board, from top to bottom.

Sad to say FMP is about to make a major drop considering last episode was all recap...yikes.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Shinigami-Seishou wrote:
Sad to say FMP is about to make a major drop considering last episode was all recap...yikes.

Considering the episode was numbered 4.5, it seems unlikely that the episode will be covered, and thereby the recap will not hurt FMP's ranking.

GGO is doing respectably, which I didn't quite expect at the beginning of the season. I would have liked to have seen Hina and Steins;Gate higher, but they are doing well nonetheless.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I would have liked to have seen Hina and Steins;Gate higher, but they are doing well nonetheless.

If you are referring to the cumulative, 4th and 5th place make a lot of sense. Megalobox has arguably been the anime of the season so far. Lupin V is not that good, but it has an established fan base. And FMP IV is the other candidate for anime of the season. In a less strong season S;G 0 and Hinamatsuri would be in the top 3.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If you are referring to the cumulative, 4th and 5th place make a lot of sense. Megalobox has arguably been the anime of the season so far. Lupin V is not that good, but it has an established fan base. And FMP IV is the other candidate for anime of the season. In a less strong season S;G 0 and Hinamatsuri would be in the top 3.

While it is certainly one of the top shows, I'd say FMP being the top is even more arguable than Megalobox. I've found Hinamatsuri more enjoyable myself, though perhaps that's just because episode 4 of FMP was such a downer, even as a nonetheless great episode. I'd say the level of Hinamatsuri's animation and its balancing of humor and sentimental segments puts it over FMP for me. The comparison between the two shows is something that comes up every week for me, as they are the two shows that I chose between to watch over my lunch break every Friday.

As for Lupin, I'd say it takes more than an established fan base to get where it is. While I don't know that I'd put it in the top three myself, but it has been one of the better series this season to me from the beginning, especially at the end of the first arc. Now it will probably decline a bit in the next entry, as the sixth episode, while being a fun episode, was not the best that the series has to offer, as reflected in the user rating (a respectable but not top tier 4.1).
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lupin V is not that good, but it has an established fan base.

Lupin V not that good? The heck you talking about? It’s been utterly fantastic so far. And no, the western fanbase is pretty humble to put it softly and that alone is certainly not why it’s getting good ratings. Lots of new viewers following it and liking it because it’s genuinely well-written with fantastic characters. Easily the best show of the season with Megalo. Seriously, get outta here with that heresay. “Not good,” smh. Rolling Eyes
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Lupin V is not that good, but it has an established fan base.

Lupin V not that good? The heck you talking about? It’s been utterly fantastic so far. And no, the western fanbase is pretty humble to put it softly and that alone is certainly not why it’s getting good ratings. Lots of new viewers following it and liking it because it’s genuinely well-written with fantastic characters. Easily the best show of the season with Megalo. Seriously, get outta here with that heresay. “Not good,” smh. Rolling Eyes

Calm down, let's not have a heart attack. My current grade for Lupin V is Good. The visuals and direction are really good, but the writing has been inconsistent. The top 3 shows of this season for me are 1. Megalobox, 2. FMPIV and 3. Hinamatsuri. Lupin V is number 5.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:47 am Reply with quote
How has it been inconsistent? Every episode has been excellent so far and moved the story along in interesting ways (ignoring episode 6, obviously). And clearly many others disagree (who aren’t longtime fans either). Also Megalo’s great and all but damn is the writing and dialogue derivative. Chalk that up to “it’s an homage!” I guess.

It goes:
1. Lupin the Third Part 5
2. Hisone and Masotan
3. Hinamatsuri
4. Megalo Box
5. Probably some other sequel like MHA or S;G
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1