• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't There Japanese Voice Actor Bloopers?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I can think of one example of an original Japanese blooper: the recording booth segment from episode 2 of Pop Team Epic! (2nd half of the episode).
mbanu

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most actual dubbing screw-ups aren't all that amusing to listen to. Occasionally an actor gets tongue-tied and might mutter, "aah, ****, let me start again." A handful of actors who are really quick-witted might spin a screw-up into a funny one-liner or something. But at least 90% of most dub "blooper reels" are actually staged antics.

So long as I can continue to believe that voice actors are exactly like the characters they portray in real life, I am fine with this revelation. Smile
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Now this was an interesting ask. The western fandom does not care about Japanese voice actors *that* much, whether it be because ‘we cannot understand Japanese / we don’t know anything about the technicalities of voice acting, so what do we know?’. But it’s as Justin said - they’re basically celebrities, and it’s interesting all the work they do outside of anime. So having the discussion center on them like this for once made me very happy.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
Quote:
Most actual dubbing screw-ups aren't all that amusing to listen to. Occasionally an actor gets tongue-tied and might mutter, "aah, ****, let me start again." A handful of actors who are really quick-witted might spin a screw-up into a funny one-liner or something. But at least 90% of most dub "blooper reels" are actually staged antics.

So long as I can continue to believe that voice actors are exactly like the characters they portray in real life, I am fine with this revelation. Smile

I think I assumed most bloopers were the voice actors dispelling the tension of a missed mark/flap with a joke or blowing off steam over a long day. Of course, I also assumed there'd be other voice actors in the room to have a laugh.
Mosaic

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching an old TV recording of the original Lupin III cast doing a live recording of an episode. Eiko Masuyama fumbled on the lip flaps, and laughed at herself during the recording. It was very amusing.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Also it only ever seemed like certain Anime Works/Media Blasters titles like Berserk, The Gokusen for instance had dub blooper reels on them.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I recall a past Answerman explaining that English releases don't have gag reels on disc anymore because the Japanese companies find them shameful and don't allow it. That why they only get shown at cons.

There are a few shows that have improv segments so that might be what a gag reel would be like.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
This behind the scenes vid of the JPN Transformers Beast Wars dub is the closest thing I've seen to a blooper reel from seiyuu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1T3RuGaPxg
CosmicCortex

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I recall a past Answerman explaining that English releases don't have gag reels on disc anymore because the Japanese companies find them shameful and don't allow it. That why they only get shown at cons.

There are a few shows that have improv segments so that might be what a gag reel would be like.

Aniplex must've changed their minds at some point, because most of AoA's dubbed releases since Your Lie in April have included the bloopers. Sadly, that also means paying AoA prices to see them now.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
The Berserk outtakes are a gift.
KupoChris

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Here's a short video of Aoi Yūki messing up a few times during a recording for a promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dczr1zMP_zY
Sheriru

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Rika Hue wrote:
Now this was an interesting ask. The western fandom does not care about Japanese voice actors *that* much, whether it be because ‘we cannot understand Japanese / we don’t know anything about the technicalities of voice acting, so what do we know?’. But it’s as Justin said - they’re basically celebrities, and it’s interesting all the work they do outside of anime. So having the discussion center on them like this for once made me very happy.

Whenever, for some reason, i tell someone what being a voice actor means in japan and some of them are real celebrities, i get "the look". You know?. Whenever its about japan and how different certain things are, its either a certain face someone is showing you as reaction or some like "oh theyre so weird."
*sighs* Confused
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm Reply with quote
My favourite blooper collection is Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRs4ok8CoYM
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Japanese voice actors are not celebrities outside of maybe Masako Nozawa. Nobody cares about voice actors in Japan apart from otaku. Also, voice acting pays pretty poor in Japan
Certainly not nearly as well as Los Angeles union American animation. Comparing dubs to the Japanese when it comes to voice actor pay is stupid; try comparing US animation pay to anime pay. Not saying you shouldn't compare voice actors, but it's a false equivalence fallacy to company dub budgets to original budgets. Compare like for like.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I imagine most good bloopers tend to occur during group va settings, likely more for American animation projects where they might pre dub before final animation to animatics and then tailor the animation to the performance of the actors, some whom might be hired specifically for being comedians and the director gives them room to play around for a funny scene and use the best/appropriate takes for the final. Given most American animation is largely comedic and CG, this likely makes it easier for bloopers to occur in the sound booth. Though most might just naturally come about from scripts with a more open dialogue approach allowing the actors to come up with off the cuff jokes on their own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3